WR Solution?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TexRamFan

Rookie
Hey Guys,

Sorry if this has been posted lately, I have been away for a while. After watching this team week in and out and after watching the other young WR's in the league I have come to a thought that I wanted to get some opinions on this.

Through the years we have drafted WR after WR and we (as a majority of the fan base) continue to label these choices busts, slow to develop or poor picks, but I continue to notice the lack of one thing..... The presence of a veteran WR to teach these youngsters the ropes.

I have noticed on other boards and in some media articles the knock of the current WR core and lack of production compared to other young WR's (Julio Jones, TY Hilton, Alshon Jeffrey, Torrey Smith, etc.).

I often read the Rams should have drafted Jeffrey, Smith etc, but the one thing that all of these rising talents have is the presence of a proven, veteran WR on their team to "show them the ropes".

As we all know this team is young...real young, with no proven leader on offense. Not only are we developing from game to game as a team, we are attempting to develop a leader as well and this takes time.....lots of time.

We have no one to show them the way. Even though I know this team wants to develop from the draft and "do it within", I do not understand why they will not spend some money on a proven WR who can not only produce, but show these youngsters the ropes, day in and day out.

Who does Brian Quick go to for questions?

The WR coach? The Head Coach? Chris Givens or Austin Pettis? He does not have a Roddy White, Reggie Wayne, Brandon Marshall or Anquion Bolden to turn to for advice. A veteran who is there for them to show them how to prepare, how to game plan, how to attack day in and day out. The same way Issac Bruce showed Torrey Holt, etc.

I know that a veteran WR is not going to come in and make a change on the offense and the stats, but the difference they could make in the locker room and for educational purposes could be a huge factor.

Specific names I do not know, but I was just curious to get opinions on this. I am encourage by this teams refusal to just lay down, but I am always searching for reasons for the ups and downs and huge swings in the way they play from week to week.

Thoughts? ? ?

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Watkins on the outside would be an upgrade... just me. Honestly, why not Watkins and Evans? But I'll save it for he draft forum...

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
doesnt matter who yo have when you throw as little as us7

Our receives don't scare anybody. Personally I think Givens is too small for the outside and lacks toughness. Quick dropped another catchable ball today, too.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
The problem with acquiring veteran receivers is that most FA WRs do not perform as well as they do on their first team. There are exceptions, of course. Vincent Jackson comes to mind, as well as Marshall and Bolden. But most veteran help is like Roddy White, Reggie Wayne and Bruce; they're drafted and become vets. I'm still hoping our receivers can develop into that vet for future drafted receivers.

lockdnram21

Legend
Our receives don't scare anybody. Personally I think Givens is too small for the outside and lacks toughness. Quick dropped another catchable ball today, too.

Quick didnt drop that, that was just good defense the defenders hand was right there

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
I continue to notice the lack of one thing..... The presence of a veteran WR to teach these youngsters the ropes.

I have been preaching this for a while, and it's a problem that we unfortunately have to live with due to past GM errors.

lockdnram21

Legend
Does Sammy Watkins make that catch? That's what I'm saying. Quick wears out my excuse button...

no watkins doesnt make the catch if the defender gets his hand in position like he did on quick not even the great jerry rice makes the catch. i dont see how thats an excuse. i see if it just hit his hands and fell. that was just well defended. your just going off of what you have seen from quick in the past and you just stuck on that you dont like him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
no watkins doesnt make the catch if the defender gets his hand in position like he did on quick not even the great jerry rice makes the catch. i dont see how thats an excuse. i see if it just hit his hands and fell. that was just well defended. your just going off of what you have seen from quick in the past and you just stuck on that you dont like him.

Lets not go that far. I doubt Watkins makes that catch though. He doesn't specialize in making tough catches in traffic.

lockdnram21

Legend
Lets not go that far. I doubt Watkins makes that catch though. He doesn't specialize in making tough catches in traffic.

i see if the guy swatted at the ball and missed but he put his hands right in front of quicks so it hit his hand as it was going into quicks thats just good defense i dont see how you dont see that ive seen all the big receivers miss catches like that. you just dont like quick and because of his past mistakes your putting him at fault when it wasnt his fault. i was jumping up and down and was like im done with quick until i seen the replay even the people on tv were like that was just well defended. like i said if its anybody fault its clemens

Memphis Ram

Legend
TexRamFan I couldn't agree more. I can even recall Torry Holt talking about how much Isaac Bruce helped him.

jap

Legend
TexRamFan I couldn't agree more. I can even recall Torry Holt talking about how much Isaac Bruce helped him.

Torry stated straight out there were things Isaac could do that he couldn't do. I believe one of those things was that rare ability to make a 90-degree cut at full speed. That is a Barry Sanders, Gale Sayers, Tavon Austin kind of thing that most players simply can't do.

TexRamFan

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The problem with acquiring veteran receivers is that most FA WRs do not perform as well as they do on their first team. There are exceptions, of course. Vincent Jackson comes to mind, as well as Marshall and Bolden. But most veteran help is like Roddy White, Reggie Wayne and Bruce; they're drafted and become vets. I'm still hoping our receivers can develop into that vet for future drafted receivers.

Like I mentioned in the original post, although this sounds stupid in a way, the production is not the main objective or long-term goal of getting a veteran WR. It would be to help teach, lead and show these young guys things they are probably not experiencing due to not having someone there who has been through the day to day grinds of the NFL. You are right, most veteran help like Roddy White, Wayne and Bruce all became vets through the system they were drafted, but they all had veteran leaders there to help them and develop them to make them vets. There are no such presences on this roster.

I would almost guarantee you that every great WR in the league right now would point to some vet who helped them in the beginning. This team is stack full of young guys and part of my thought process for the slow development compared to other WR is that lack of vet. WR is a tough position to learn. And probably tougher to learn without the help of a vet.

I think that is part of the reason you see guys like Holt coming back to camp to help out. They know how much that vet helped them in the maturation process. Reggie Wayne had Marvin Harrison, Brandon Marshall had Rod Smith, Holt had Bruce, etc. etc. I think this is a big reason why you see so many other rookies develop faster. They are learning less by the mistakes they make and learning more from those that have already made those mistakes.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The Rams might have been able to get Boldin for a fifth. Then Boldin could have taught all of the Rams young WRs how to play football like a total asshole.

The WRs just need better coaching. Sherman is not getting it done.

TexRamFan

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The Rams might have been able to get Boldin for a fifth. Then Boldin could have taught all of the Rams young WRs how to play football like a total asshole.

The WRs just need better coaching. Sherman is not getting it done.

Personally I would have loved to have an "a**hole" on my squad with 3 pro bowls, 2 superbowl appearances and one superbowl title to teach Quick how to play physical and use his body a little better. You could argue Boldin is one of the most physical WR's in the league. I guess the Rams did not want to part with that fifth rounder. I guess I cannot argue with them, they did get Stacy in the fifth.....

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
Do we need a Veteran WR? Did the Saints have a veteran WR to show their young guys? Maybe a stud #1 WR like Dwayne Bowe? Oh wait. Bowe still hasn't topped 70 yards in a game this season.

(This is more because I'm fantasy butthurt about Bowe than anything else.)

Alan

Legend
What we need are WRs who can get consistently get separation and catch the ball.