Wr Jordan Matthews?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
Since there was (IS!) a lot of discussion about Sammy Watkins (I really hope the Rams select either him or Jadeveon Clowney with their #2 pick!) I was wondering/hoping someone could give some information on Jordan Matthews (Vanderbilt). I thought I read somewhere that he either broke are is about to break a lot of SEC receiving records (and, last I looked he already had around 150 receiving yards in his game today against Houston and it wasn't even Halftime!). If the Rams don't draft Watkins is Matthews a possibility?

Late first rounder, leading receiver in the SEC all time with awful QBs. Wouldn't mind going Matthews, Dennard, Matthews if possible.

Also related to Jerry Rice I think so good blood lines.

V3

Hall of Fame
Hard to say. For many of the wrong reasons, the combine will affect where many WR's(and many other positions) go. Teams fall in love with 40 times, senior bowl practices, etc and it causes many players to fall or rise regardless of their play during actual games. That's why players like Stacy fall to the 5th round and people like Heyward-Bey go 7th overall.

If he does really well in the combine, he could go higher than many people now believe he'll go.

jap

Legend
Hard to say. For many of the wrong reasons, the combine will affect where many WR's(and many other positions) go. Teams fall in love with 40 times, senior bowl practices, etc and it causes many players to fall or rise regardless of their play during actual games. That's why players like Stacy fall to the 5th round and people like Heyward-Bey go 7th overall.

I still say players ought to run their 40 times in pads. That will show true game day speed, rather than an often misleading track & field result. I recall one NFL scout talking about how some players (e.g., Desmond Howard) ran 4.4 in track shorts and 4.6 in pads. Other players (e.g., Jerry Rice) ran 4.6 in track shorts and 4.6 in pads. Players who lose only fractional seconds in pads are often described as "carrying their pads well" or some other similar euphemism. Isaac Bruce was described as such.

Alan

Legend
V3 with his take:

If he does really well in the combine, he could go higher than many people now believe he'll go.

I don't know about that. I think the fans and pundits are affected much more than the teams FOs.

V3

Hall of Fame
I still say players ought to run their 40 times in pads. That will show true game day speed, rather than an often misleading track & field result. I recall one NFL scout talking about how some players (e.g., Desmond Howard) ran 4.4 in track shorts and 4.6 in pads. Other players (e.g., Jerry Rice) ran 4.6 in track shorts and 4.6 in pads. Players who lose only fractional seconds in pads are often described as "carrying their pads well" or some other similar euphemism. Isaac Bruce was described as such.

I'm totally for totally revamping the whole combine. It's WAY outdated and doesn't adequately serve its purpose. Running with pads on is a great idea. How about running all the different types of routes? How about high pointing a ball in the air? Perhaps devise some contraption to simulate hands/traffic and the WR has to catch the ball through all that stuff? Just spitballing off the top of my head but you get my point. Coaches, GMs, trainers, etc need to come up with better drills/tests to give a better idea of how players will translate to the NFL. Right now, I feel the best thing you get from the combine is the interview.

V3

Hall of Fame
I don't know about that. I think the fans and pundits are affected much more than the teams FOs.

Every year there are players that go WAY later than they should or WAY earlier than they should simply based on their combine results. Last year, Keenan Allen was torn apart because he had horrible 40 times. That's why he fell so far. Tavon Ausin skyrocket from a player that was a late first rounder to the 8th overall pick due partly to his super fast 40 time. Heyward-Bey? Yup. There are numerous examples of the combine causing teams to reach or pass over talent that is clearly visible(or conversly, not visible) on tape. The better drafting teams/GMs will look beyond the combine numbers but there are still many examples of teams/GMs that still don't get it. I honestly believe that if you got rid of the physical portion of the combine, there would be fewer bust picks in the draft.

Alan

Legend
Yeah but according to who? Who says Keenan Allen went later than he should have? Do you have a quote from a GM or coach that says that?

I've heard many GMs and coaches say that the combine has very little affect on their drafting decisions. Who are we to call them liars? I contend that only the non professionals are swayed by results at the combine.

Of course there are some non professionals like Snyder, Jones and the late Al Davis who probably are affected.

The other exception to that is really bad interviews.

jap

Legend
I'm totally for totally revamping the whole combine. It's WAY outdated and doesn't adequately serve its purpose. Running with pads on is a great idea. How about running all the different types of routes? How about high pointing a ball in the air? Perhaps devise some contraption to simulate hands/traffic and the WR has to catch the ball through all that stuff? Just spitballing off the top of my head but you get my point. Coaches, GMs, trainers, etc need to come up with better drills/tests to give a better idea of how players will translate to the NFL. Right now, I feel the best thing you get from the combine is the interview.

Exactly! The whole point is to make the entire combine a football testing exercise---not a damn track & field clinic! We want the real football players to be as obvious as possible, not to waste time trying to guess how track & field numbers might translate to the gridiron.

RFIP

The problem with this thinking of course is more and more of the top guys wouldn't show up. Look how many QB's don't even throw at the combine now...and a lot of guys to lift, run, etc.

V3

Hall of Fame
The problem with this thinking of course is more and more of the top guys wouldn't show up. Look how many QB's don't even throw at the combine now...and a lot of guys to lift, run, etc.

Conversely, you could look at it as some of the top players knowing the old(current) way of doing the combine wouldn't showcase their true talent so they wouldn't want to participate. If they changed it to better showcase FOOTBALL TALENT, you might get more players going and participating. The only players that would not want to have a new type of combine are the track star athletes. That's the way I look at it, at least.

Alan

Legend
V3 adding:
If they changed it to better showcase FOOTBALL TALENT, you might get more players going and participating. The only players that would not want to have a new type of combine are the track star athletes. That's the way I look at it, at least.
That's a good idea except that most anything they'd do that would show football talent would be subject to injuries. Many don't play in the Senior bowl for fear of injuries. I doubt many of the best ones would do it. Of course it would be a great way to showcase the lesser players skills and get them drafted higher. Much like what happens with the players who do participate in the Senior Bowl. Overall, I like the idea.