WR Givens takes 'smarter approach'/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
WR Givens takes 'smarter approach'
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_f6a34c35-df5a-5ca1-aaed-33733b590608.html

It has only been a few months, but new Rams quarterback Nick Foles already has made quite an impression on wide receiver Chris Givens.

“That’s the best quarterback I ever played with in my life,” said Givens, in his fourth NFL season. “He’s a football player, if you know what I mean, and I think we’re all excited about what he brings to this team. That’s not a knock on anybody else; everybody has their own way of doing things and I just feel like Nick is a great fit for this team.”

A fourth-round draft selection from Wake Forest, Givens made a major impact as a deep threat for the Rams as a rookie in 2012. That season the 6-foot, 203-pounder caught 42 passes for a team-leading 698 yards and scored three times. He had five receptions covering 20 or more yards and also was the team’s leading kick returner, averaging 23.4 yards on 23 returns.

In 2013, Givens made 14 starts and caught 34 passes for 569 yards. Last year, he was limited to 11 catches for 159 yards and a touchdown, a 47-yarder from Shaun Hill in a home loss to the New York Giants. He also returned five kickoffs for 101 yards.

Part of Givens’ production decline the last two seasons can be linked to the season-ending injuries suffered by QB Sam Bradford. Without Bradford to throw the long ball, Givens became less of a factor in the offense. But, as Givens sees it, that wasn’t all bad.

“Honestly, it was a blessing in disguise because it forced me to work on my game and become more of a complete receiver and not just a deep threat,” the 25-year-old said. “I thank God because it challenged me to work harder and to become a better player. This year, I can run every route ... effectively and that’s something that will allow me more opportunities to help this football team.”

He also talked about taking a “smarter approach” to preparing for the coming season.

“In the past, there were times when I did too much from a workout standpoint,” he said. “I pushed myself so hard to get ready for camp that my body would break down and I was constantly battling to get healthy and stay healthy. This year, I just took a smarter approach to everything. I took my time and made sure to get the needed rest to go along with my workouts.”

Givens called training camp his favorite time of the year.

“I’m having way too much fun out here every day,” he said.

But he also is eager to start playing some games. The Rams open their exhibition schedule on Friday, taking on the Raiders in Oakland.

“It’s always fun when the games start because it’s a chance to show what you can do against another team,” he said. “For me, the big thing is consistency. I have to stay focused, to work hard to get better every day and to make plays on a day-to-day basis.”

ANOTHER CHANCE

After sitting out nearly a year, Marcus Forston was beginning to wonder if he’d ever get another shot in the NFL. Then he received a call from the Rams.

“It’s definitely a blessing, to get another chance. Now hopefully I can make the most of it,” the 25-year-old defensive tackle recently said. “The last year has been a roller coaster. ...”

At that point, an emotional Forston paused to regain his composure.

“This isn’t just about me, it’s also about my wife and my son,” he said. “I haven’t worn pads for almost a year, so it may take some time to get into game shape, to get my legs under me. The coaches and the guys have been great about helping me. I’m excited to get back to playing in a 4-3, just like college, where I can penetrate and attack. That’s my specialty.’’

Forston, who stands 6 feet 3 and weighs 305 pounds, is a Miami native whose career at the University of Miami (Fla.) was slowed by injury. He was signed as an undrafted free agent by New England in 2012 and spent most of the next two season on the Patriots’ practice squad. Over two seasons, he saw action in four games and was in on three tackles. He was released on Aug. 21, 2014.

“The last year, it’s been a roller coaster,” said Forston, who said he did cross-fit workouts to stay in shape. “I worked for about a month as an electrician’s assistant and then started working security, working my way up to post captain. I also drove for Uber for a couple of months.

“I was considering a couple of police jobs, one in Atlanta and another back home in Miami, but this is where I want to be. I’m going to give it everything I’ve got.”

UNOFFICIAL DEPTH CHART

Not that it means all that much with four exhibition games to play, but the team’s first unofficial depth chart was released this week.Listed as starters on offense are Foles at quarterback, Tre Mason at running back, Kenny Britt, Tavon Austin and Stedman Bailey at receiver, Jared Cook and Lance Kendricks at tight end, Greg Robinson at left tackle, Rodger Saffold at left guard, Barrett Jones at center, Jamon Brown at right guard and Rob Havenstein at right tackle.

Second-teamers of note were Demetrius Rhaney at center, Case Keenum at quarterback and Todd Gurley at running back.

The first-team defense features Chris Long and Robert Quinn at defensive end, Michael Brockers and Aaron Donald at defensive tackle, James Laurinaitis, Alec Ogletree and Jo-Lonn Dunbar at linebacker, E.J. Gaines and Janoris Jenkins at cornerback and Rodney McLeod and T.J. McDonald at safety.

Akeem Ayers is listed as a second-team linebacker.

RAM-BLING

Quinn, a Pro Bowl selection in each of the last two seasons, is featured on a regional cover of Sports Illustrated released this week. Quinn is included as part of the 2015 fantasy preview in which SI calls the Rams a “breakout” defense.

Others on the regional covers are Pittsburgh Steelers receiver Antonio Brown, Miami Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill and Seattle Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack

fearsomefour

Legend
Britt, Bailey, Quick, Austin, Givins, Williams, Cook, Kenricks, Bayer, Harkey, Gurley, Mason, Cunningham, Reynolds, Pead, Foles, Keenum, Mannion.
There, "skill" positions set.
Glad I could take care of that.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I have a felling this is going to be a Fun Pre-season to watch, and see how the Roster pans-out!

Athos

Legend
I'll believe he's become a complete WE when I see it. Camp reports say still a one trick pony.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Like a poster said, it's funny what some people "see"...Givens is the 3rd most talented wr on the team IMO...Bailey could be a 3a.....all of them need to master route running....and catching the ball, especially in traffic or while contested. I still would like to see a more thorough understanding of the west-coast offense....I mean, Martz looks like a genius compared to what we're used to these last 9 years....here's to no more struggles on 3rd down...

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
I'll believe he's become a complete WE when I see it. Camp reports say still a one trick pony.
...and we heard the same pre-season revelations from him last year. That was the off season he supposedly "got it". Sometimes guys make a couple plays and that's all they ever do for their career, he is looking like one of those guys.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Why is Derek Stanley Buying Into the Tavon Austin “Breakout Season” hype?

Derek Stanley joined Kevin Wheeler to talk expectations with the Rams, the WR core, Tavon Austin, Nick Foles, and the defense.

Listen to Stanley Talk Rams

RamzFanz

Damnit
I didn't see anything in TC that would be encouraging for Givens. Maybe in the pre-season.

TA made a lot of plays.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
...and we heard the same pre-season revelations from him last year. That was the off season he supposedly "got it". Sometimes guys make a couple plays and that's all they ever do for their career, he is looking like one of those guys.

Last year he found Christ
This year he found Foles

Ram65

Legend
Let's see Givens in preseason. He may not be an all around WR but, he sure has shown quicks early in his career. He would eat up yardage on those quick passes. I think he can be an asset this year. Rams could be doing some nice WR/TE rotations this year keeping the legs fresh.