Wow. Rams Sign Vernon Gholston

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
Ramhusker said:
You just never know. He might just be a camp body to give Sims a blow if he is indeed ailing or the coaches think they can bring something out of the guy and "shock the world".

JT wrote that Sims is in a walking boot today

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Speaking of DE depth and competition I haven't heard much about William Hayes..I passed out stoned last night as the 3rd qtr started of the Chiefs/Rams replay.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
BatteringRambo said:
Angry Ram said:
WestsideRamsfan said:
Championship !!

Mark it down! NOLA HERE WE COME!!!

Also coincidentally an epic debut album by DOWN.

At least VG is not injury prone. Maybe he doesn't cut the 53,maybe he gets in...its far from a lucid addition. I'm not elated nor am I deflated. We shall see what happens.

Crowbar also rules! Sever The Wicked Hand! Are they downtuned to C?
Oh, back to Vernon, not a single sack in 3 years? Yikes!

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
RamsSince1969 said:
BatteringRambo said:
Angry Ram said:
WestsideRamsfan said:
Championship !!

Mark it down! NOLA HERE WE COME!!!

Also coincidentally an epic debut album by DOWN.

At least VG is not injury prone. Maybe he doesn't cut the 53,maybe he gets in...its far from a lucid addition. I'm not elated nor am I deflated. We shall see what happens.

Crowbar also rules! Sever The Wicked Hand! Are they downtuned to C?
Oh, back to Vernon, not a single sack in 3 years? Yikes!

Hell yea Crowbar! I just didn't have a related transition to them and NOLA. I'm the ROD forum clown..when I make comments to whichever topic I tend to steer in unrelated direction such as this one. There goes a random tangent I'm accustomed to. I need to cease and resist.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Possumboy finally vindicated.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Hes been out of football for a year, and the season starts in a little over 2 weeks. Id be suprised if he makes the roster. Andre Carter must not be healthy yet.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
DR RAM said:
You beat me to it. I was going to comment on Possumboy. Boy was he ever wrong about that draft choice.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Can't hurt I guess. I have no idea where his head's at, but he was miscast with New York. On the other hand, Lovie freakin' Smith didn't have any use for him either. No risk, huge reward scenario for us, because the only thing he can do is live up to his potential (miraculously). If he doesn't, he doesn't.

I'm certainly not opposed to Fisher trying to get something out of him -- that's for sure.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
X said:
Can't hurt I guess. I have no idea where his head's at, but he was miscast with New York. On the other hand, Lovie freakin' Smith didn't have any use for him either. No risk, huge reward scenario for us, because the only thing he can do is live up to his potential (miraculously). If he doesn't, he doesn't.

I'm certainly not opposed to Fisher trying to get something out of him -- that's for sure.
I don't mind either as long as it doesn't involve cutting a younger player with more potential.

All in all, I'd rather have Gordy.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
brokeu91 said:
X said:

I don't mind either as long as it doesn't involve cutting a younger player with more potential.

Well, Gholston isn't all that old - but I get your point. Gordy (or some other corner) was bound to get released anyway (or traded), so I'm getting over that rather quickly. If Sims' injury is substantial, then this all makes sense. It might not be an upgrade, or even a lateral move, but it was one borne out of necessity.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
WooHoo.

He's a camp body and he's basically free to bring in and kick the tires so why not. Who knows maybe he can show a little and stick as depth.
I don't think he's eligible to play this week because he won't have enough practice time. Some rule on that It was said on radio yesterday.

If Sims is out for awhile I look for Snead and his hair to pick up a better DE at the 53 man roster cut.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
X said:
brokeu91 said:
X said:

Well, Gholston isn't all that old - but I get your point. Gordy (or some other corner) was bound to get released anyway (or traded), so I'm getting over that rather quickly. If Sims' injury is substantial, then this all makes sense. It might not be an upgrade, or even a lateral move, but it was one borne out of necessity.

It could end up a move cast as "brilliant" if he does get something out of the guy but necessity? I don't know. Seems there would be plenty UDFA DEs to be "camp bodies" if that is what the Rams need the next couple of weeks but if Sims is headed for PUP or IR, yeah, somebody is going to be needed and I'm sure with cuts coming, somebody decent will shake free. This is a smart play though. If he hasn't got it in two weeks, he doesn't have it and then you pick up the cuts. And if he does have it, he is two weeks embedded in the system. No gamble at all!

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ramhusker said:
X said:
brokeu91 said:
X said:

It could end up a move cast as "brilliant" if he does get something out of the guy but necessity? I don't know. Seems there would be plenty UDFA DEs to be "camp bodies" if that is what the Rams need the next couple of weeks but if Sims is headed for PUP or IR, yeah, somebody is going to be needed and I'm sure with cuts coming, somebody decent will shake free. This is a smart play though. If he hasn't got it in two weeks, he doesn't have it and then you pick up the cuts. And if he does have it, he is two weeks embedded in the system. No gamble at all!

To late to put Sims on PUP. He'd have to be IRed.

I sure everyone on this board will agree that Gholston is a physical specimen. The dude is a beast. IF the NFL DE lightbulb turns on in his head, this move could end up being genius. Im not holding my breath tho.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
libertadrocks said:
Ramhusker said:
X said:
brokeu91 said:
X said:

To late to put Sims on PUP. He'd have to be IRed.

I sure everyone on this board will agree that Gholston is a physical specimen. The dude is a beast. IF the NFL DE lightbulb turns on in his head, this move could end up being genius. Im not holding my breath tho.
Yeah, and there's no guarantee that Gholston is going to make the team. The Rams are still in prime position to monitor the other teams' roster cuts and possibly pick up someone they feel will offer more upside. None of that can be ascertained without first putting Gholston through the gauntlet though. So, like everyone else that would *possibly* replace Sims, this one player will have to make the best of his opportunity.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
X said:
Yeah, and there's no guarantee that Gholston is going to make the team. The Rams are still in prime position to monitor the other teams' roster cuts and possibly pick up someone they feel will offer more upside. None of that can be ascertained without first putting Gholston through the gauntlet though. So, like everyone else that would *possibly* replace Sims, this one player will have to make the best of his opportunity.

Yeah I point TO that in the Gordy trade, the Colts would have had first dibbs on whoever we cut so JMO they WANTED him and so we probably got something worthwhile for himbecause they were afraid we wouldn't cut him

bluecoconuts

Legend
It could also be how he does in a 4-3, his natural position. Jets used him as a 3-4 OLB, maybe the fresh start and being back at his natural position will help turn the light on.

If it does, how pissed would NY be?

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
bluecoconuts said:
It could also be how he does in a 4-3, his natural position. Jets used him as a 3-4 OLB, maybe the fresh start and being back at his natural position will help turn the light on.

The guy had the school record for sacks in college,so there has to be a way he can perform, I could easily see how the NY press could have alienated and sent the kid into a shell where he just wanted OUT, but NO SACKS in a career for a speciman like him????????? , I may run up to camp just to see for myself,or maybe Jimi will go over and tell us wassup with this enigmatic kid.

Guard

UDFA
Thordaddy said:
bluecoconuts said:

The guy had the school record for sacks in college,so there has to be a way he can perform, I could easily see how the NY press could have alienated and sent the kid into a shell where he just wanted OUT, but NO SACKS in a career for a speciman like him????????? , I may run up to camp just to see for myself,or maybe Jimi will go over and tell us wassup with this enigmatic kid.

True, but it wouldn't explain his failure in Lovie's 4-3 defense in Chicago, or why both the Lions and Texans both worked him out and took a pass on him.

I agree with just about everyone else that there isn't much harm in this signing.... other than, if this is some kind of a solution to Sims being down for a while, this is not what I would consider the best way to address it.

I think we're out of luck for getting any more camp reports.... aren't all practices private from here on out?

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Guard said:
Thordaddy said:
bluecoconuts said:

True, but it wouldn't explain his failure in Lovie's 4-3 defense in Chicago, or why both the Lions and Texans both worked him out and took a pass on him.

I agree with just about everyone else that there isn't much harm in this signing.... other than, if this is some kind of a solution to Sims being down for a while, this is not what I would consider the best way to address it.

I think we're out of luck for getting any more camp reports.... aren't all practices private from here on out?

Oh, if we can get some national security leaks out of the White House, I'm sure we'll hear some tidbits here and there. (Wait, those WH leaks were on purpose though :omg: )

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
brokeu91 said:
DR RAM said:
You beat me to it. I was going to comment on Possumboy. Boy was he ever wrong about that draft choice.
He's wrong about a lot of draft choices, as is hammer.