Wow, if Eagles DT Fletcher Cox got paid this much...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I wonder how much Aaron Donald will ask when it comes time for his next contract? :shocked:

what.gif

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...5-549-million-fully-guaranteed-by-march-2017/

Fletcher Cox will have $55.549 million fully guaranteed by March 2017
Posted by Mike Florio on June 13, 2016

456694186-e1465867748923.jpg
Getty Images

The Eagles have paid defensive tackle Fletcher Cox a lot of money. A lot of money. And a lot of that money will be fully guaranteed within only nine months.

Per a source with knowledge of the contract, a whopping $55.549 million will be fully guaranteed by March of 2017. At signing, $36.299 million in fully guaranteed.

The deal breaks down like this:

1. $26 million signing bonus;

2. $1.299 million fully-guaranteed base salary in 2016;

3. $6 million option bonus due in 2017, fully guaranteed;

4. $3 million fully-guaranteed base salary in 2017;

5. $11.5 million base salary for 2018, guaranteed for injury only at signing but fully guaranteed in March 2017;

6. $15.6 million base salary for 2019, $15.5 million of which is guaranteed for injury only at signing but $7.75 million becomes fully guaranteed in March 2017 and the other $7.75 million becomes fully guaranteed in March 2018;

7. $12.9 million base salary in 2020, plus a $1 million roster bonus due in March;

8. $15 million base salary in 2020, plus a $1 million roster bonus due in March;

9 $16.1 million base salary in 2020, plus a $1 million roster bonus due in March.

In all, it’s a six-year, $102.6 million extension, with a value at signing of $110.379 over seven years. $63.299 million is guaranteed for injury.

Given the structure of the deal, it will be virtually impossible for the Eagles to dump Cox before the guarantee fully vests. The cap charge for cutting him after one year would be $20.8 million, and the cap charge for cutting him after two years would be $20.4 million.

With Cox playing defensive tackle in the team’s new defense, Cox gets roughly $10 million more over the first three years than he would have gotten if he’s played out his rookie deal and been tagged for two straight seasons.

As noted earlier, this deal will make Broncos linebacker Von Miller very happy, giving him an apples-to-apples comparison that the Broncos will have a hard time characterization as an anomaly or an aberration.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Idk how happy this will make Denver. I get that want to keep him but they also drafted Shane Ray and don't have anything invested in the QB position except Sanchez and a extremely raw rookie. They already have tons of money on the defensive side of the ball. Unless they want Miller as their only guy on defense, they might consider a different route.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Unless they want Miller as their only guy on defense, they might consider a different route.

It may be that they have gone the route you suggested.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/06/08/report-broncos-have-pulled-offer-to-von-miller/

Shortly after Adam Schefter of ESPN reported that the Broncos had offered Miller a six-year, $114.5 million deal, Mike Klis of KUSA reported that the Broncos have pulled their offer.

It’s unclear why the Broncos wouldn’t be willing to sign Miller to a six-year, $114.5 million contract today if they were willing to sign him to a six-year, $114.5 million contract yesterday. But if the Broncos have truly pulled their offer and aren’t willing to continue negotiating, that would mean Miller’s options are to sign the one-year, $14.1 million franchise tender, or not to play at all.

Klis reports that the Broncos and Miller agreed on the six-year, $114.5 million part but strongly disagreed on the structure of the deal, particularly the guaranteed money in the first three years.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
The Eagles are nuts! This is the same team who gave Chase Daniels 21 million with 12 million guaranteed to be the virtual #3 QB!! And it's not like they can save money if he becomes the #1 after Bradford departs. His contract gives him even more money if he becomes the #1. Then again, I could never figure out how the niners kept all their stars rolling in dough when the salary cap was instituted.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
It may be that they have gone the route you suggested.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/06/08/report-broncos-have-pulled-offer-to-von-miller/

Shortly after Adam Schefter of ESPN reported that the Broncos had offered Miller a six-year, $114.5 million deal, Mike Klis of KUSA reported that the Broncos have pulled their offer.

It’s unclear why the Broncos wouldn’t be willing to sign Miller to a six-year, $114.5 million contract today if they were willing to sign him to a six-year, $114.5 million contract yesterday. But if the Broncos have truly pulled their offer and aren’t willing to continue negotiating, that would mean Miller’s options are to sign the one-year, $14.1 million franchise tender, or not to play at all.

Klis reports that the Broncos and Miller agreed on the six-year, $114.5 million part but strongly disagreed on the structure of the deal, particularly the guaranteed money in the first three years.
I'm probably one of the only people who thinks Miller is a little overrated. He's an amazing pass rusher but hasn't showed much else besides that. The playoffs were the first time I've seen him play a full game with pass coverage and run stopping. He has one career interception and has never eclipsed 70 tackles in a season. To me that doesn't scream $120 million contract.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is about what the Rams are going to have to shell out if they want to keep Aaron Donald.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
Idk how happy this will make Denver. I get that want to keep him but they also drafted Shane Ray and don't have anything invested in the QB position except Sanchez and a extremely raw rookie. They already have tons of money on the defensive side of the ball. Unless they want Miller as their only guy on defense, they might consider a different route.

Yea I understand what you are saying. But with the money going around for defense stoppers, his best move is to sit for at least nine games if not the whole year. If he sits out the year with no issues, he will get this money minimum and likely a 5-10% premium, Finally recognizing that QB stoppers are just as valuable as QBs.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
and the sad thing is, we will probably look back at this and wish it was only this much. prices are only gonna get higher by the time donald needs an extention

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Rams are going the Patriot way. Love or hate it, it works. Draft well, and don't overpay. Unless it's a QB. If Donald wants, (or is going to), 60M gauranteed, adois.

Obviously, not a knock on him, but you simply cannot keep doing that, especially with the overall talent Fisher and Snead keep drafting.

Pay Gurley, and ( hopefully) pay Goff. Otherwise, I'd pass. Von Miller, JJ Watt and Suh are not franchise changers. They franchised Tru for a reason. If he has a stellar year, bet you anything he's gone. And if he doesn't, they made the right move in franchising him.

Develop an eye for talent, not splash signings. Demoff does a great job, but focus on talent, not smart contracts.

Contracts are slowly destroying Seattle, but the Packers keep on keeping on. A good/great QB is worth it, everybody else, not so much.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
This is about what the Rams are going to have to shell out if they want to keep Aaron Donald.
And it's going to be a "Mind Blowing Contract" IF nothing happens to slow Donald down! I can't even imagine what it could be!!

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams are going the Patriot way. Love or hate it, it works. Draft well, and don't overpay. Unless it's a QB. If Donald wants, (or is going to), 60M gauranteed, adois.

Obviously, not a knock on him, but you simply cannot keep doing that, especially with the overall talent Fisher and Snead keep drafting.

Pay Gurley, and ( hopefully) pay Goff. Otherwise, I'd pass. Von Miller, JJ Watt and Suh are not franchise changers. They franchised Tru for a reason. If he has a stellar year, bet you anything he's gone. And if he doesn't, they made the right move in franchising him.

Develop an eye for talent, not splash signings. Demoff does a great job, but focus on talent, not smart contracts.

Contracts are slowly destroying Seattle, but the Packers keep on keeping on. A good/great QB is worth it, everybody else, not so much.

I'm not sure that applies to Donald. It's one thing to let a good but replaceable player go, when he gets too expensive. Donald is arguably the best defensive player in the league. Any replacement would be a huge downgrade. AD is more than a good draft pick by Snisher - he is a once in a number of years player. JJ is replaceable - and a downgrade is not that big of a deal, if the money can be spent elsewhere for an upgrade. Donald is a game changer.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The Eagles are nuts! This is the same team who gave Chase Daniels 21 million with 12 million guaranteed to be the virtual #3 QB!! And it's not like they can save money if he becomes the #1 after Bradford departs. His contract gives him even more money if he becomes the #1. Then again, I could never figure out how the niners kept all their stars rolling in dough when the salary cap was instituted.

Yep they are screwing things up for everyone

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
Donald will get paid by the Rams. He is a game changing QB disruptor. The one that is less likely to get paid relatively is Gurley based on his position and the fact that when his rookie deal is up Goff should be firmly established as our Franchise or we are in deep shit. I am happy that DL are getting paid for the difference they can and do make,

DVontel

Rookie
I'm probably one of the only people who thinks Miller is a little overrated. He's an amazing pass rusher but hasn't showed much else besides that. The playoffs were the first time I've seen him play a full game with pass coverage and run stopping. He has one career interception and has never eclipsed 70 tackles in a season. To me that doesn't scream $120 million contract.

He single handedly won the SB IMO. Also, a great game in the AFC Ship. Pay him anything he wants.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
These interior DT's are demanding some serious $$$ these days. Rams have two star interior DT's. Rams have been running heavy off these two the last 2 seasons from their rookie cheap contracts. Rams will have to deal with Michael Brockers very soon & its going to cost big. This is Brockers 5th season & the Rams will have him for about 6 million this season. Rams could just use its 2017 first round selection to draft a talented DT instead of busting the Rams salary cap on Brockers.... if they only had a first rd. pick :palm:.

Cox was taken in the first round #12 & Brockers #14 in the 2012 draft. Cox getting a near 103 mil. is on par with what Marcell Dareus (Bills) got. Dareus six years for $108 million. Dareus was a top 10 pick in 2011. JJ Watts got a 6 yr 100 mil, approx. 17 mil a season. Buc's DT McCoy got a 6 yr 95 mil around 16 million a season. Rams Quinn got a 4 yr deal for 57 mil around 15 million a season. NYJ DT Muhammad Wilkerson is playing this season for close to 16 million.

This Cox contract would appear to be questionable as far as the amount total due to the fact Cox will now play a new DL position with a new HC. The Eagles are returning to a base 43. I would think that Cox will play the Aaron Donald interior position.

Last edited:

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Donald is going to get paid, he is the key this defense and allows everyone else to play with speed. I don't see Aaron as a greedy player and I'm sure he wants to get paid which he deserves but I don't think he would hold out or ask for some astronomical number. If he asks for 120 million than that dramatically hurts the team since others cant get paid.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I'm obviously bias, but I do not feel out of line saying that at Donald's current rate rate of development he is going to soon be the best DT in the NFL (if he isn't already).

You can't expect to retain the league's best player at his position for cheap. Quality talent costs money to retain. The Rams will have to pay to keep him LA. I'm fine with that. What's the point of drafting elite talent if you let the guys walk every single time their rookie deal expires, just as they are entering their prime?

The key is to do the following when opening up the wallet: (i) making sure the guys you pay big money truly are elite, game-impacting talents and (ii) notwithstanding the previous point.... still don't overpay. Based on how the Rams handled the Jenkins situation, I am optimistic any player they sign will be at a fair price. Jenkins was a (very) good CB but hardly elite. He arguably wasn't even the best CB on the Rams. And the money he wanted was huge. Pass.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

man the rams are gonna have to make some tough decisions the next few years. we're talking about way better talent than jenkins and mcleod. tree, brockers, donald, tavon, grob if he breaks out, gurley.

man. i'm gonna feel ill if any of those guys leave.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
.man the rams are gonna have to make some tough decisions the next few years. we're talking about way better talent than jenkins and mcleod. tree, brockers, donald, tavon, grob if he breaks out, gurley.man. i'm gonna feel ill if any of those guys leave..
Look at all the discussions & anguish that too place here over loosing five main defensive players earlier this season in JL, JJ, Chris Long, Rod McLeod & Nick Fairley.

Can Aaron Donald continue to be the best DT in the game past 2016 if the NT starting next to him is not Brockers. Yes or no or do we know? The Donald decision is a few seasons off & if Donald signs the 5th yr option it will be 3 yrs away before that major contract enters heavy into the picture. When Brockers departs in 2017 then we will see if WWC's or a Coples can fill the void of such a departure like Brockers.

Meanwhile some serious upcoming pending March 2017 UFA action will be taking place behind the 2016 LA Rams banner of presumptive free agents like Trumaine Johnson, Kenny Britt, Akeem Ayers, Garrett Reynolds, TJ McDonald & Michael Brockers along with needed 5th yr option cost of near 13 million for Tavon Austin's services & a over 8 million cost for Alec Qgletree services in 2017 included in that upcoming 2017 salary cap rumble. Fixed salary cap will sure cause some big Ram player departures after this season.

Last edited: