Wow - ESPN Power Rankings - Really?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

James Otto

Starter
So, you cannot make this stuff up ...

Going into Week 4, ESPN had the Rams ranked #16, which seemed reasonable, given our SOS and the close game with the 49'ers.

So in Week 4, what do we do? We go into Dallas, and beat the Cowboys.

Where does ESPN rank us after the victory?

16th! No joke, no kidding, dead serious. We didn't move up at all. As a matter of fact, in their commentary, all they did was trash our run defense.

Cowboys of course, are still ranked ahead of us at 12.

Seahawks beat a terrible Indy team, and they move from 12 to 6. No mention of their terrible run defense.

How do these idiots have jobs? It's a serious question ...

Name
Hannibal Ram
Yeah ESPN is nothing but a bunch of Tools.....
NFL.com has a much better handle on this weeks rankings:
Rams up 6 spots this week to #10
Cowboys down 7 spots to #19
Seahawks up 3 spots to #14

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, I normally don't worry about the rankings too much - but while I don't expect them to rank the Rams high until they have won a bunch more, at 3-1, coming off a big road win against a team that was favored heavily, I do expect the writers to move the Rams up a bit. At some point those idjits need to recognize that this is 2017, that the Rams with all those high draft picks actually have coaches now that know what to do with the players. The longer it takes for them to realize that, the lower their credibility will go. Not that most of them care, so long as they keep getting page hits.

socalrams90

Starter
Heres a summary of major outlets.

7- Wapo
9 - Yahoo
10 - USA and NFL
12- CBS
14 - Bleacher Report
16 - ESPN

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I am sorry, but if you go into somebody's Stadium and beat them like that?
You're a better team than they are, thus we are a better team than the Cowboys at this moment.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Heres a summary of major outlets.

7- Wapo
9 - Yahoo
10 - USA and NFL
12- CBS
14 - Bleacher Report
16 - ESPN
The average of these six sites is 11.

That seems about right but notice that every one of them has us ranked higher than ESPN.

More proof that the ESPN rank of middle of the road is bullcrap especially when you consider we have the number one scoring offense in the NFL.

thank you

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ESPN is in big trouble.

Disney (I own stock, keep an eye on it) is fed up with their inability to retain subscribers and put quality programming out there.

I could easily see Disney trying to sell the dead weight that is ESPN... then? Whoever picks it up will probably let it die a slow death.

Their brand of sensationalism is waning... people don't want to hear a bunch of nobodies trying to make news by saying stuff that is as outrageous as possible.

Yeah, it works for a little bit it's not sustainable.

Bold prediction: ESPN will be gone within 5 years.

All the other outlets have the Rams pretty much where they belong.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Good. Let's be the underdog and shock the world.....
..... even more than we're already shocking it now! :D

I kept saying in the offseason that we are overdue to be the surprise team.

I knew that if I stuck with that theory long enough it would eventually pay off. :D

Turducken

Starter
It's not just SOS, we also have benefited from favorable timing. Indy qb Tolzein week 1 and 10 days to prep for (short week) Cowboys. I can see Rams winning next three and going into bye 6-1. At that point all the arguments against a top 5 ranking will fall away.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
As a guy has didn't and still doesn't give a rat's was about these things, I do find it strange that they wouldn't move up at all in one of those things...One good half doesn't suddenly make me a huge believer in the D, but I 'm pretty sure that this offense is for real...This week will be a REAL good test...Can the media continue to diss them if they handle the Albatross??? I still won't care but it will be interesting to see...Is Peter King still massaging the Brady/Cheatriots' nuts ???

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Bold prediction: ESPN will be gone within 5 years.

I think ESPN is too established to just go away. I can see someone else buying them out and returning it back to all sports news instead of trying to intertwine politics. They were pretty successful for a long time. They just got away from what made them successful. All they need is new ownership committed to sports.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think ESPN is too established to just go away. I can see someone else buying them out and returning it back to all sports news instead of trying to intertwine politics. They were pretty successful for a long time. They just got away from what made them successful. All they need is new ownership committed to sports.
The thing is... they spent an enormous amount of money on the contracts to air the NFL and other sports.

Their subscriber base is falling at alarming rates.

So, expenses are up and revenue is down.

Not a good business model. And I don't see them having the smarts to figure out how to adjust.

Their latest strategy? Jettison most of the the experienced, knowledgeable staff and replaced them with nobodies who are only there to create controversy.

Subscribers will continue to exit.