Would your opinion of Bradford change if...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
No because that would likely be just another case of teams having no film on a guy and things going relatively well for him in the interim.
A guy like Clemens would very likely get "figured out" and be neutralized once teams studied his strengths and weaknesses.
IMO

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
No I wouldn't change my opinion of Sam. I've been really impressed with him this year. He looked so much more comfortable and looked like the leader of the team. If Clemens plays good football I'll just be pleasantly surprised with him and be pleased he's playing good football - and hopefully will mean we don't need to spend a draft pick on a backup.

Regarding Schotty - I've been more impressed with his playbook/calling since we got the run game going - I know that's obvious to say but the whole AC system starts to work once we can get the playaction going - and have more plays like the one with Quick running the 9 and Tavon Austin burning his corner outside against Carolina. Sam throws as pretty a deep ball as anyone in the NFL and its been a joy to watch.

Don't know if Clemens has got the arm strength for that however. Lets see...

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Kellen Clemens comes in and has lateral production?

That's a HUGE if, by the way. But for the sake of discussion, say Clemens comes in and manages the season just fine. Nothing flashy. 250 yards a game, a couple of TD's per, an int here and there, but does nothing to put the Rams in a hole. Would that change your perception of Bradford at all?

As much as I'm hoping for Killer to come in and do a good job, I just can't imagine him managing to perform at the level Bradford was.

If he does that would be Killer, but it wouldn't have anything to do with Bradford.

Sam was playing like a top 10 QB prior to going down. Top ten TD%, top 10 INT%, would have been top 10 completion % if we had an average drop rate. Nothing is going to change that.

Now if Kellen was to come and and play like a top 5 QB you have to start Kellen next season, you play the player who gives you the best chance of winning regardless of the name on the shirt or the size of the contract. Unfortunately Kellen won't so it's a moot point.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well now we're getting somewhere. My question was pretty straight forward and was clearly a hypothetical. It wasn't a prediction of what Clemens will do, nor was it a comparison of the two. I just put out a scenario wherein nothing really changes at the position and ask what that would lead people to think about Bradford in general.

What's your definition of "ridiculous amount"?

I couldn't tell you. Maybe 10% of his attempts being deep and 20% being intermediate and having a lot of success on those routes. It would affect my opinion of Sam since he's had some issues finding those guys up until the last 3 weeks.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Some of you Bradford supporters are unwavering in your belief in the dude. That's admirable. Maybe it''s me hoping for the best or my inner SB "hater" coming thru, but I'm not really expecting a huge drop off in production on offense. Sure, it might be the coaches making the schemes getting more simple or the guys "stepping up" in Sam's absence--- but I think we're gonna be OK.

Whether it's Sam being overly cautious or his handlers in his ear about how to play--- Clemens (or Davis for that matter) can certainly throw 15 checkdowns per game and MAYBE a shot or two downfield. How's that any different from what Sam gives us on a game by game basis?

Because Sam was throwing 3.5 TDs for every Int. And Sam accounted for EVERY SINGLE ONE OF OUR OFFENSIVE TOUCHDOWNS.

Kellen Clemens, on the other hand, has thrown almost double the interceptions that he has TDs in his career.

You're not expecting a huge drop off? Unless Zac Stacy and the running game can carry this team, we're going to see a significant drop off. Like 2011 Rams type drop off.

You're looking at this through an extremely simplistic view-point. "Who can't throw 15 short passes a game with a shot or two down field?" Well, first of all, it'll take a lot more than 15 short passes unless our defense and special teams play like they did against the Texans. Second of all, it's a lot easier said than done. The thing about those passes is they take precise timing, accuracy, velocity and reads. Clemens isn't known for any of those things. The QB's job is very complex. It takes the perfect blend of physical and mental talent. Clemens simply doesn't have that blend.

This isn't a Kurt Warner situation. I wish it was. I'd rather take a shot with an Austin Davis or another young, unproven player in hope we could find a Kurt Warner or even a Ryan Fitzpatrick. Clemens is a proven commodity...and he's proven himself to be a bad QB.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Well one of two things can happen. Either Kellen plays up to the level we thought he was/is....... or we have some guys step up their game and give the QB better support by not dropping balls, making the correct reads, running the right routes, holding their blocks a bit longer and then kellen uses his better motor skills to create a few more opportunities by extending the play.

But neither of these things would make me feel different about Sam. Number 1 scenerio.....is what we expect....#2 scenerio would be what we've needed from guys all year but they have not played at that level.

Oh and the defense live up to billing.........:rolleyes:

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Some of you Bradford supporters are unwavering in your belief in the dude. That's admirable. Maybe it''s me hoping for the best or my inner SB "hater" coming thru, but I'm not really expecting a huge drop off in production on offense. Sure, it might be the coaches making the schemes getting more simple or the guys "stepping up" in Sam's absence--- but I think we're gonna be OK.

Whether it's Sam being overly cautious or his handlers in his ear about how to play--- Clemens (or Davis for that matter) can certainly throw 15 checkdowns per game and MAYBE a shot or two downfield. How's that any different from what Sam gives us on a game by game basis?

In the words of 4 time Super Bowl winning coach Chuck Knoll,"you're only as good as your last game" so if you look at Sam's last game or heck his last three once the Rams were able to at least threaten a running game , Sam was the second rated passer in the league across that stretch ( don't ask me who was number one nor to link it cuz I heard Fisher say it in an interview so I'm believin' it)
In the Carolina game Sam was flat airing it out going way the hell down field and we were poised to see the guy we were all hoping we had.
SO as I said in my first post in this thread ,IF KC plays up to what Sam has the last three games it won't change my impression of Sam ,it will be my impression of KC that will elevate.
OK now we went down the take back two plays debate about games and I think we've all agreed you CAN'T do that when you look at a whole team and a game , but IF you want to see a player realistically ,you certainly can look at what happened on plays that blew up that weren't their fault.
SO with that in mind , let's take back the two times Sam's o-line "failed him",the first int. his arm was hit ,HIS FAULT? I think not,o-line fault .....result? 7 points for the Panthers. Second play the TD to Tavon, wasn't Sams fault Jake tripped the guy and FWIW it didn't make the play happen, result?..........7 fewer points for us.
Sam played well enough for us to win that game.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
That like asking would my opinion change on my Aunt if she had a package?

1. Yes it would
2. It ain't happening!

No I wouldn't change my opinion of Sam. I've been really impressed with him this year. He looked so much more comfortable and looked like the leader of the team. If Clemens plays good football I'll just be pleasantly surprised with him and be pleased he's playing good football - and hopefully will mean we don't need to spend a draft pick on a backup.

Regarding Schotty - I've been more impressed with his playbook/calling since we got the run game going - I know that's obvious to say but the whole AC system starts to work once we can get the playaction going - and have more plays like the one with Quick running the 9 and Tavon Austin burning his corner outside against Carolina. Sam throws as pretty a deep ball as anyone in the NFL and its been a joy to watch.

Don't know if Clemens has got the arm strength for that however. Lets see...

Or the TD pass to Quick which was flat out dropped another good play by Sam.

Also Sam threw 4 INTs all season, 1 on a pass which bounced of Richardson's hands/body, 1 tipped by a D lineman and the one you mentioned. So 1 costly throw all season is pretty good.

lasvegasrams

Rookie
i am hoping i start questioning bradford if that means clemens tears it up and gets us to the playoffs.

LLittle12

UDFA
All I see is a chance for Clemens to solidify his place as a backup here. Although, if for some reason he comes out on fire and wins a bunch of games while putting up big numbers it will put some serious pressure on Fisher and Sam.

Bradford is the guy for now, KC would have to really light it up for me to think otherwise. It isn't likely to happen.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Since we've seen something good happen thought I'd bring this thread back and see if people stuck to their guns.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Since we've seen something good happen thought I'd bring this thread back and see if people stuck to their guns.

It's still the same for me. Kell has been playing well overall but 3 TOs and bad redzone play is why the Rams are 4-6 and hoping for a run instead of 6-4 and controlling their own destiny.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
It's still the same for me. Kell has been playing well overall but 3 TOs and bad redzone play is why the Rams are 4-6 and hoping for a run instead of 6-4 and controlling their own destiny.

Yeah ,ARDUNNO if the rest of the team would have stepped up like they have, but I have zero doubt we could have won three more games and be 7-3 right now if they had ALL been playing like they have since his injury.

I will say though that IMO Shotty has figured out that putting Tavon outside forces choices no defense wants to make.
I think we have to quit viewing the kid AS a slot and start thinking of how much he will spread defenses once people see that stacking the box to stop Stacy leaves people vulnerable to TA's speed.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'll give Clemens some credit for making some plays and showing no fear. He seems to have comfortably and professionally stepped into the mentality that this is HIS team for the rest of the season. I like that. To be honest i think the team has responded to him more so than i thought they would.

Having said all that,its only a matter of time before defenses will adjust, and unfortunately i see him getting forced into attempting throws he can't make,seeing coverages he cant beat. Mistakes.

I applaud Clemens for his efforts so far,but you cannot turn the ball over as a QB in this league and expect to win games.

jjab360

Legend
No, but my opinion of Clemens would change.
Not saying that Clemens has been as good as Bradford, but I'll stick with my original answer. I think the people using KC's limited success as a slight against Bradford are being ridiculous. Mostly because our overall success right now has to do a whole lot more with the run game and defense stepping up than KC putting the team on his back like Bradford was asked to do at times.