Would you support the Rams if they were accused of Pats-level cheating?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Would you support the Rams if they were accused of Pats-level cheating?

• Total voters

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's the same person, I don't see the difference if he's wearing a visor with a Rams logo or a visor with a Saints logo.
You're right... it is the same person... that's why I was not a fan of that hire.

I worried when they hired him if, just based on that whole affair, calls that might not go against the Rams defense might now go against the Rams.

I don't know if that happened or not - could never prove it - but there sure was a lot of consternation on the board about bad calls... bogus calls... etc.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Of course, and I doubt most who says they wouldn't. I know for a fact that vast majority of us would be acting just like the hated Patriots fans if it reversed. S'like having a guy like Finnegan play for you, you hate that team until you become that team, then you love the edge it gives you. Lets be real here, we accepted Greg Williams, who did a lot worse than deflate balls to get an edge, along with a motley assortment of general assholes and nogoods. I honestly don't think we have room to talk.

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
I would not support the Rams again till they rid themselves of the cheating source.

If that were the head coach so be it.

rams2050

Starter
I was not a fan of the Williams hire, either, but he 'did his time,' so to speak, and he suffered a black eye for his actions. He was punished, in fact, much more severely than Belicheat was for his videotape shenanigans which, if I were to guess, were extremely egregious otherwise why destroy the evidence?

I think that some teams cheat; not all, some. But I think the level of cheating that goes on in New England has been elevated to an art form.

That is why I think Brady can sound so incredulous when quizzed about the deflation -- he's thinking, "That's not cheating," because in HIS and Beli-cheat's world, it is small potatoes. Do they rely on Ernie Adams to relay what the other team is going to be doing next? Do they have a dedicated wireless system that goes only to Brady's helmet and can be operated, undetected by others, until just prior to the snap? I wonder? Why are they always ahead of the game? Why are they never surprised no matter what the play being run against them? Why is their win streak -- especially at Gillette -- such a statistical anomaly that it defies imagination? Something is going on; that much is sure.

And, no, I would not support the Rams if I knew that they had cheated. The only one a cheat really cheats is himself or herself and those who believe in him or her or it, in the case of a team. That is not the way I try to live my life. The Rams have been so bad, historically, that no one could have really blamed them if they had tried to cheat but, at least, as far as we know, the teams' numerous head coaches shared two important attributes: INTEGRITY and a SENSE OF FAIR PLAY.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I'd be pretty upset about it. Even just a little cheating is still cheating. If you tolerate it because it's your favorite football team you should have no problem with minor cheating in your pension fund. No problem with your kid finishing second in his class to a kid cheating on his tests. No matter how it gets rationalized, it's still cheating.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Do any of us actually know if they have cheated?
Yes. They were punished for Spygate (of course, only AFTER the punishment and AFTER the evidence was all destroyed was it revealed that it was systematic cheating going back to 2000 when Belichick was hired.

They have been punished in the past, so the NFL was clearly unhappy with something....and that punishment was very severe (loss of a 1st round pick I believe).
You and I have very different definitions of "severe punishment". Any sane fan would take a trade of $750K in fines and a late 1st round draft pick for 3 Super Bowls. Pretty much the reaction of every Patriots fan I saw that year was "Who cares? We have a top 10 pick from our trade with the 49ers last year."

Everybody probably does it
And once those other teams are caught, they need to be punished too. This is a dumb defense of cheating. It's like the tax cheat who claims "Everybody cheats on their taxes!" But obviously, not everybody does. And even if so, that doesn't make it right.

But what have they actually done? Taped a Rams walkthrough??
I personally DON'T believe they taped a walkthrough. But what they did do, what they admitted to doing, was illegally taping signals to the defense. If you know what play the defense is about to execute, that is a HUGE advantage. And they did play us earlier that season.

There was a time when I hated them, but I'm over that now...They didn't beat us in the superbowl because they cheated....they beat us because they played better than we did.
They won that game because of the aforementioned cheating and because the refs had bought into the nonsense of "Wouldn't it be great if a team called the Patriots won the Super Bowl after 9/11?" and showed that bias through flagrant no-calls.

Mind you, I do think they are a good team... but as I've said before, I don't believe even good teams beat both another good team AND the refs.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Nah, I don't have a double standard on this one. It would be embarrassing for me to be a fan of that.

You'd like this then.

There is a local talk show on ESPN radio here, and as you know there are a lot of people from the NE area in these parts. One of the hosts said that everyone he knew from that neck of the woods is embarrassed about this.

So maybe some of their fans are weary of the stuff on the periphery like the rest of the fans.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Would I support the team? Yes. Would I support their actions? No.

It would take A LOT for me not to support this team.

Cheating to win wouldn't fall in the "A LOT" category for you?

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
I would still support the Rams but would be hoping for a coaching change or censure from the owner regarding the infractions. How can anyone think it's okay to repeatedly skirt the spirit of the rules of the game and risk tarnishing a teams achievements. "Win at all cost" is not a concept I embrace and can carry a backlash from the good folks who support the game and the league.

Baseball lost a fan in me after the transparent abuse of PED's that led to record breaking performances by undeserving players. Just can't get behind that mentality.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
With my avatar I should post no, but give me 3 Super Bowls and I'm not sure? I guess every man has his price.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I would be pissed and would understand if the league slapped them with a hefty fine or it cost them a game but I would still be a Rams fan.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
Its hard to argue 15 AFC East championships in 16 years or whatever the actual number is but its ridiculous.

This is exactly what makes me wonder, why cheat? As much as I despise Belichik he is an excellent coach with a great system and good/great players. Why not just play it straight?

cracengl

Rookie
To clarify, you mean alongside the same kind of success as NE? To think we cheated and all we got was....what we got....hell naw!!

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I would support the team, but I doubt the league would. If the Rams did the same thing the patsies did they would be punished a lot harsher. Maybe even to the point of forfeiting games.

Maybe thats why they won't. They know they wouldn't get the same favorable treatment the patsies got.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
To clarify, you mean alongside the same kind of success as NE? To think we cheated and all we got was....what we got....hell naw!!
Yes, I mentioned in the OP "but had a similar record to the Patriots"

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I think I'm too far in to not be a Rams fan, but I would be bitterly disappointed if they cheated the way the Patriots did. Enough to put them aside for a while.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
In hindsight, I likely would've downplayed it with rhetorical questions like

"Yeah he did tape practices but he did it within legal boundaries, other teams had their fair share of cheating as well. Look at the Broncos and 49ers cheating the salary cap back in the 80s and 90s, why the fuck aren't they punished for their actions?"

It's all a matter of perspective. But knowing what it's like to be on the shitty end of the stick, I would be ashamed to call myself a Rams fan if ever their front office or coaching staff got involved in Belichicking.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
This is exactly what makes me wonder, why cheat? As much as I despise Belichik he is an excellent coach with a great system and good/great players. Why not just play it straight?

Living in Boston and hearing the talk on the radio for so many years, I think a lot of it is him wanting to think he can play it in the gray area and prove that he is smarter than everyone else. It's an ego thing IMO.

Driving home tonight it was kind of funny. For the first time ever the fans calling in were upset at BB and Kraft. A lot of fans were reacting like some hear. They still love the Pats but are becoming embarrassed and are pissed that they would even bend the rules. This is the best Pats team in 8 years and finally have a chance to put spywate to bed and this happens.

My favorite comment was "these SB's and this run is important to us fans also, we are vested and have invested in this team, I would comfortable if BB was fired". It's the Boston media making a joke of it, fans are pissed and concerned.

I almost felt a little bad for them.....almost lol