Would you sign Peyton Manning?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is obviously a hypothetical but with John Fox out in Denver and the Broncos reportedly allowing Adam Gase to leave, if they were to cut Manning to save $19 million in order to retain their young FAs...would you sign him if you were the Rams?

Again, there's no evidence that they'll cut Manning or that he'd consider the Rams. I'm just wondering what people's opinions are.

I'd say yes if he'll sign for a reasonable salary. I realize the downside to Manning is that he only has one or two years left at most. And he could struggle next year if his skill-set further declines but if we get Manning from earlier on in 2014, we're a Super Bowl contender.

Plus, if we build up the OL and the run game, he won't be relied on as much.

Obviously, this only delays the inevitable...that we have to find a QB of the future.

lockdnram21

Legend
I don't know about you, but losing in the playoffs > not making the playoffs in my book.

I'd definitely not be opposed to Manning.
Hes done put a fork in him. See no point your jus polonging what needs to happen

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Absofuckinlutely.

I know he has declined but the Rams would be instantly in the spotlight....and even better, they would finally have a true leader. Even if it is only for a year or two, the rest of the offense would benefit just by what they could learn from Peytons cerebral, and demanding approach to the game. They also would have an example of how to finish games.

Athos

Legend
You'd have to spend a lot of capital improving our offensive line is all I've got to say if you want to look at Manning for a year or two.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Manning didn't look right all season, he looked like a shell of himself in our game, I don't think he has much left. No thanks, it's time for a new era not ride off the coattails of an old one.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Honestly, I can't believe this is even a discussion. No. Just my. 02.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
If he can come back 100% from his injuries then I would kick the tires and talk to him. He played really well this season when he wasn't hurt and played badly while playing through injuries. I think that if he is completely healthy then he is a good option for a year or two. For the Rams I'm not so sure. They will have to invest a lot in the oline so Manning doesn't get hurt. At this point I dont know that the oline would be good enough to keep him healthy for 16+ games.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Honestly, I can't believe this is even a discussion. No. Just my. 02.

What's not to believe about it being a discussion? This team hasn't won in over a decade. Every piece is in place but the QB. Manning still played at a top 5 level this year and may or may not play at that level next year.

That's the discussion. Because if we're getting vintage Manning, there is no discussion. You'd be nuts to pass on that. The risk here is that Manning declines and no longer plays at a high level...like Favre did in 2010.

But the reward is that Manning plays like he has the past three years...and with this team's talent, that's likely a 12+ win season.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
FUCK YEAH, I would. We're talking about quite possibly the greatest quarterback of all time here. He's a better option than anyone else on the market, and we wouldn't have to waste a pick on a below-average quarterback class. How do you not at least try to sign him?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If he can come back 100% from his injuries then I would kick the tires and talk to him. He played really well this season when he wasn't hurt and played badly while playing through injuries. I think that if he is completely healthy then he is a good option for a year or two. For the Rams I'm not so sure. They will have to invest a lot in the oline so Manning doesn't get hurt. At this point I dont know that the oline would be good enough to keep him healthy for 16+ games.

We need to invest a lot in the OL either ways. ;)

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
Jrry, the ultimate question here is would Manning sign here with our OL the way it is? but sure I would sign him depending on the $$$.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
What's not to believe about it being a discussion? This team hasn't won in over a decade. Every piece is in place but the QB. Manning still played at a top 5 level this year and may or may not play at that level next year.

That's the discussion. Because if we're getting vintage Manning, there is no discussion. You'd be nuts to pass on that. The risk here is that Manning declines and no longer plays at a high level...like Favre did in 2010.

But the reward is that Manning plays like he has the past three years...and with this team's talent, that's likely a 12+ win season.
I guess I just don't see anything attractive about the Rams to Manning. I agree he would be the best QB (even in his advanced age) we have had since Warner, but how on earth would we protect him? Could he even get excited out our wr corp after playing with the squad he has in Denver?? I just don't see any way he would consider this franchise right now. Sux, but just how I feel.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Yes.
Even a bad Peyton Manning is better than most starting QBs in the league.
I would be very happy losing a Superbowl with Peyton.

xander47

Rookie
Yes if we can keep Sam at the same time. That would mean both Sam and him would have to take a pay cut, but then you have an answer to now and the future. At least for 2015. Bradford doesn't have to rush back. Gets to back up one of the greatest qbs to home his game mentally in case his knee is going to limit him for the rest of his career. At least it allows the team to know what it has in Bradford and not forced to make a move in this year's QB draft crop.

A55VA6

Legend
No. I think he's one of the greatest to ever play this game, but I want the future - not a 1 or 2 year rental with huge questions after that. I think he'd bring us to the playoffs, but I don't think he's championship caliber anymore.