Would you let JJ or TruJo walk if

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
it meant signing a big time player on offense such as Alshon Jeffrey? Keeping one stud corner, and having one come back from injury (Gaines) leaves our D in a good place while signing Alshon Jeffrey would drastically help our offense. This leaves a lot more "wiggle room" in the draft. You can trade up for a QB, stay put and draft another WR like Laquon Treadwell (what QB wouldn't look good when you have those two to throw to), take a corner, LB, replace long, or strengthen the line. What would you do?

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Alshon won't be available. The Bears are going to franchise or sign him to a long term deal.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There are zero realistic alternatives that would make me feel good about not signing both of them in the short term. The reality is that they will be thinking about future contracts, so I'm hoping we can get both for something like 4 years $50 million.

Even a trade would mean sending valuable pieces away when we just lost valuable pieces. With all the cap space we should sign both, just not for longer than 4/5 years.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
@Legatron4 is right! But even if he weren't I wouldn't do it, Jeffrey's is getting Old and he'd be too expensive!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would let one of the two walk period. No reason to bring them both back when you have Gaines and Joyner filling two of the three starting CB roles.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I don't know about Alshon getting old but it seems to me that he is oft injured.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
Gaines replace JJ / Jeffery replace Quick.............I approve of this message.

tempests

Hall of Fame
I'd rather keep our DBs.

I really like Jeffery, but WRs tend to be reliant on their offensive lines and QBs to be productive, and those big FA deals rarely seem to deliver the bang for your buck.

If the Rams want a no 1 WR they have to draft one. That's the most effective route.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
If the Rams want a no 1 WR they have to draft one. That's the most effective route.

image.jpeg

Guessing on a guy in the draft is more effective then just signing a stud you know is solid? If that's honestly what you mean, this is a picture of my thoughts on that opinion.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
There have been some pretty solid FAs brought in on last contract type deals. I'd be good with signing a very good vet WR that might only have a couple years left. I still want us to draft a WR high though.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Look at the most productive WRs in the league and the teams they're doing it with.

And? We shouldn't try to get a #1 WR because our QB or OL isn't good enough? That's horseshit. How many epic fails has this team had in drafting receivers over the last decade? If you have a chance to get one, you do it. There's no logical explanation for the Rams to not pursue Jeffery if he's available(which is doubtful). Then you can try to sort out the QB thing via the draft. Our o line isn't even that bad.

tempests

Hall of Fame
And? We shouldn't try to get a #1 WR because our QB or OL isn't good enough?

We shouldn't spend big FA bucks on a WR when drafting has long proven to be the most effective method.

And yes, if the Rams QB and OL isn't good enough the WR production will not match their contract.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yea, I would. But Jeffery won't hit FA imo.

Jeffery completely changes our WR corp in a major way. Losing Tru or JJ hurts but we'd still have Tru/JJ, Gaines, Joyner, Roberson, and maybe a draft pick.

On the flip-side, we'd have Jeffery, Britt, Austin, draft pick, and Marquez at WR. That's a huge change. And will be big for the young QB we draft.

Debacled

Starter
Keep Tru let JJ walk, regardless of what Jeffery ends up doing.

Why? JJ is gonna ask for the moon (has been hinting this for over a year). Tru is bigger and projects better in this defense (he doesn't gamble as much). Mind you, we've only seen 1 year of Gaines but I think they can let JJ walk and not notice much of a drop off with Gaines opposite Tru...if any drop off for that matter. This keeps Joyner in the slot where he has shown improvement.

Sucks to have so much CB depth doesn't it?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Parade of busts among free-agent WR and TE moves
John Clayton ESPN Senior Writer

Other NFL owners should thank the Oakland Raiders for signing Michael Crabtree to a four-year, $35 million contract.

Crabtree's signing further depletes an already thin 2016 free-agent class of wide receivers. If the Chicago Bears franchise had signed wide receiver Alshon Jeffery to a contract extension, there might not be a receiver on the market who could get more than $6 million a year. A thin free-agent market at certain positions protects teams from making shaky investments.

For the most part, teams seeking help at wide receiver and tight end last offseason didn't get bang for their buck. The Kansas City Chiefs made a significant catch signing Jeremy Maclin to a five-year, $55 million contract, but Chiefs coach Andy Reid knew what they were getting because he coached Maclin in Philadelphia.

The other two success stories turned out to be cheap investments. The New York Jets stole Brandon Marshall for a fifth-round choice. He's brought them 83 catches for 1,062 yards. The Raiders took a $3 million flier on Crabtree and made him a No. 2 receiver opposite Rookie of the Year candidate Amari Cooper. He has 66 catches for 760 yards and seven touchdowns.
i

Most of the bigger receiver moves, however, haven't worked out. The San Francisco 49ers paid $8 million a year for Torrey Smith, but he has only 23 catches for 529 yards in mostly a two- and three-tight-end offense. Andre Johnson cost $7 million a year, but the Indianapolis Colts are using him more like a fourth receiver. He has only 28 catches for 367 yards.

Percy Harvin's contract could be voided after one year, and there is a good chance it will be. He made $6 million this year, but he had only 19 catches for 218 yards before the Buffalo Bills put him on injured reserve. Dwayne Bowesigned a two-year, $13 million contract with the Cleveland Browns, but the number of games he's spent on the inactive list exceeds the number of receptions he's made (3). The Minnesota Vikings picked up Mike Wallace's $12 million-a-year contract for only a fifth-round pick, but his big-play ability has produced only three 20-plus-yard receptions and only a 12-yards-per-catch average.

Investments at tight end have been equally shaky. The Seahawks didn't get $10 million-a-year value out of tight end Jimmy Graham before he went on the injured reserve list. The Jacksonville Jaguars have gotten only modest results from Julius Thomas -- 31 catches for 298 yards -- despite giving him a blockbuster five-year, $46 million deal.

Getting good returns out of high-priced receivers and tight ends from other teams is often as difficult as figuring out how NFL officials determine what is and what is not a catch. History is littered with mistakes. Javon Walker, David Boston, Jerry Porter, Percy Harvin (Seattle) and Mike Wallace (Miami) are just a few cases in which teams have spent big money for little results.
i

Clearly, it's better to get receivers out of the draft. Recent drafts have been loaded with No. 1 and No. 2 receivers. Franchises have four years to develop those receivers and then determine if they are good enough for second contracts. The tight end market has been trickier because the past couple of drafts haven't offered great tight end prospects.

Don't expect big spending on receivers next year. The Bears face an important decision with Jeffery, who is arguably a No. 1. Marvin Jones and Mohamed Sanu are free agents, but the Cincinnati Bengals might re-sign one of them.Rishard Matthews (Miami), Travis Benjamin (Cleveland), Rueben Randle (New York Giants) and Brian Quick (St. Louis) finish out the 2016 free-agent class.

There might be more play at tight end, which offers Dwayne Allen and Coby Fleener of the Colts and Gary Barnidge of the Browns.

The Raiders did things the right way. They drafted the best receiver (Cooper) and gambled low and right on Crabtree in free agency. In the process, they set up quarterback Derek Carr for success. Other teams in the receiver market should be envious.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page/firstandgoal151211/parade-busts-free-agent-wr-te-moves-nfl

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
If Alshon and Marvin Jones get resigned or tagged I might just punt on FA receivers. Beyond those two it seems like more of the same.

As for the hypothetical, we should be able to re-sign all our guys and grab a receiver with the amount of cap space we're projected to have. That being said, it might hamstring us in the next couple years if we were to do that.