Would you franchise tag Saffold?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
And could the Rams do so with him as a guard? What are the rules on that?

The franchise tag for a guard or tackle (or centre) all have the same value.

The tag last year was $9,828,000 so you'd be paying him higher than any guard currently earns and as much as the 6th highest LT.

So to answer the question probably not, I think my limit with him is $7 million per year which would make him the 8th highest paid OG, I'd also massively front load the contract giving him all the cap saving for Wells and Dahl.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I posted an article on another board where a former agent projects the franchise tag for offensive linemen to be slightly above $11 million in 2014. To answer your question. No.

Last edited by a moderator:

SC-Ram78

Rookie
He has played awesome at gaurd, but that's way to high of a number. It will come down to if he wants to stay or shop around in FA. I just hope some team doesn't throw the bank at him

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Here's the deal with Saffold; he's a good player when he's on the field. I'd like to have him back.

But, he has missed a lot of games:
2011: 7
2012: 6
2013: 7

It's going to be interesting to see what his market is.

As far as the franchise tag; no way!

fearsomefour

Legend
Tag him? No, I would not. But I think it will take $20-23 Million-ish range to keep him for a three year deal. Different things you could do with that. Guarentee more actual money than other deals. As we know the amount that is signed in NFL contracts (as opposed to say baseball) is not what guys get paid a lot of times. If the Rams want to keep Saffold and with Long injured now I think they NEED to they are going to have to bite the bullet and pay up. Resigning Barnes and Smith are no brainers and will get done. I wonder how much money the Rams will need to free up for their rookies? Even if cutting Wells, Dahl, Finnigan ect frees up $14-15M a fair share of that is going to go to a rookie cap. Some lower cost deals to keep Smith, Barnes, Clemons ect. may leave the Rams with enough to MAYBE bring Roger back and do nothing else. With Saffold and Williams off the books ($2.4) and Dahl and Wells cut ($8.5) that should be enough freed up to resign Saffold, Smith and Barnes. The question then becomes where does the rest of the money come from for the rookie cap and other resigns?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The Long injury makes keeping Saffold more a priority, however, IMO how does he not try the maket? Teams might overpay so more than likely the Rams might have to go another direction and the draft might be just the beginning. Because with Long's surgery not happening until next month and a six month rehab the Rams might need someone to step in at the start of the season.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
No! I would not go in that direction. I would make Saffold a deal similar to Jake Long's with the same type of incentives based on playing time and Pro Bowl berths. If Saffold gets better deal elsewhere so be it. Rams can move on in fulfilling the urgent needs in the OL's with other UFA's & thru the Draft.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
No I wouldn't.
He would be for sure be have to be tagged as a LT. About 10 mil.
Rams want him next year find his price and pay it. Rams made their choice about LT going forward when they signed Long.
What I find hilarious is all the mad love for Saffold now but soon as he misses a game he's back under the bus.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
No way am I going to tag a guy who has only given the team half a year for the last 3 years in a row. I like him at guard and would like to see him stay based on his performance at the guard position this year and he can do in a pinch at T. However I would not give him more than 2 years with anything guaranteed and only at a base of $4 or less with some incentives for staying on the field. If that isn't good enough we can find another guard on the market.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
There aren't going to be any overwhelming offers for the guy out there. He's shown flashes of ability, but he'll have to take a one year deal at a reduced rate. I just don't see him making the jump to another team, he may as well roll the dice on a healthy season in STL where he knows there's a need and he knows the staff/playbook.

I'm pretty sure he stays another year.