Would We Be Happy?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
With an O line of Jake Long/Top 50 draft pick/Tim Barnes/Rodger Saffold/Joe Barksdale.

If so how likely are we to see that opening day, and who is your preference for the draft choice?

If not why not?

iced

i'm more worried about Guard than Tackle. Also you forgot about Barett Jones at C/G

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I think that's the best case scenario. I don't see us taking a tackle in the first. So, if we take a guard in the top 50 and resign Saffold to play RG, we'll be ready to go.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
Best scenario: J. Long, Robinson, Barnes/Jones, Saffold(healthy for all 19 games) and Barksdale.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Best scenario: J. Long, Robinson, Barnes/Jones, Saffold(healthy for all 19 games) and Barksdale.
Love the fact that you're planning on 19 games! Also like the OL you put together.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I like Saffold. I don't want to rely on him for a starting spot though. I'm still convinced he's going to have to settle for a pretty light 1 year deal here because of his durability issues. Not too many FA players get signed to big deals when they haven't survived more than 1 healthy season.

I'd settle for a Top 50 pick on the OL as opposed to a top 15 if they sign Saffold to something more than a 1 year deal, OR the likes of Jon Asamouah

Alan

Legend
Expecting Long and Saffold to last the whole year?
Good luck with that.
I want at least three new guards (or two new and Saffold) and one new tackle to be on the roster come opening day.
Acquired through FA, the draft or from the UDFA class after the draft.
First round tackle and second round guard would be optimal.

fearsomefour

Legend
That is best case I think. Long being ready enough to be on the field and resigning Saffold are both doubtful to me.
That LG spot being manned by either Robinson or Matthews is fine with me. I would still draft T first for a couple of reasons.
I think we could looking more like
rookie/Washington/Wells/Barnes/Barksdale on opening day with Long going to LT when ready and the rookie sliding inside.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
I'll gladly take:

LT: Long
LG: Robinson (1st rd)
C: Mack (splash signing)
RG: Jackson (4th rd)
RT: Barksdale

Can you say, DOMINANCE?!!! Stacy could push for 1,500 yards with these run-blocking cogs. These guys all fit our run-first style and all weigh in a hefty 320+ pounds, big bodies with attitudes that belong in the NFC WEST. Best part, there isn't a dramatic influx of rookies on the line; every other player on the line (Long-Mack-Barks) would be veterans, with the rookies playing in between. Neat set-up.

or even:

LG: Xavier Ucla guard (2nd rd)
RT: Robinson (1st rd)

While I prefer the first option, this line would inject a huge youth movement on the line, allowing us to no longer worry about the line for some time with 4 new pieces to play and build with each other. Again, too many rooks on the line for my liking but going all-in on correcting our line woes and allowing these guys to build a chemistry for years to come right away could be an option too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So the answer ranges anywhere from don't know to not sure ;).

I suppose the flip side then becomes would we be happy with:

Barksdale/Jones/Barnes/Dahl/Hooey? no Which I imagine is the absolute worst case scenario, could you find a second round LT who you're happy with? You can surely find a RT better than Hooey.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
There is a strong vibe being reported out of STL (J Thomas I believe) that the Rams are not going all-in with Saffold and he's likely gone.

So to answer the question... Even with Saffold, that line lacks durability and raises depth concerns in my book.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
LT - Long
LG - Robinson/Lewan - 1st Rd
C - Jones
RG - Yankey/Xavier - 2nd Rd
RT - Barks

Makes me, Sam, and Stacy very happy.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Considering Barks is the only guy we can count on for game 1 next year with any certainty it might be time to sink some assets in the O line in FA and the draft just to fix it for a few years.

…..

Legend
With our lack of available cap space, I'm begining to worry. What I THINK will end up happening is that we will get stuck with a few journeymen in camp and dependent upon Bordeu to pull off another miracle. I dont see us making the splash in free agency but crazier things have happened. Perhaps they'll create enough room to get 1 guy and then draft a couple.

I hate to lose Saffold, Dahl, and Wells all at the same time. Losing three starters is scary but all the talk seems to indicate that is where we are headed.

Whatever happens, I just hope we start the same 5 guys from pre season on into the regular season.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'll gladly take:

LG: Robinson (1st rd)
RT: Barksdale

8963-pharrell_williams_happy_420x250.jpg

jjab360

Legend
With an O line of Jake Long/Top 50 draft pick/Tim Barnes/Rodger Saffold/Joe Barksdale.

If so how likely are we to see that opening day, and who is your preference for the draft choice?

If not why not?
Yeah, that's a good O-line. I'd probably put Jones in at C over Barnes, though, he didn't just dominate the SEC by luck, I see him getting the nod now that he's fully healthy and has been working with an NFL S & C coach.

Ultimately, I could see us not using the resources on the O-line like some people think we will. Fisher likes coaching up late round draft picks and underappreciated FAs on that unit, and that seems to be how Boudreau likes to do it as well. Probably feels like it validates him as an O-line coach or something.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron

If not why not?

That is the line I am hoping for right now, and would be perfectly happy with it. Would like Jones and Barnes to battle it out at least. Barnes worries me at times.

Now, If Saffold leaves this is what i'd like our line to look like after the draft(might grab someone in FA but since thats hard to know won't add any FA).

LT - Jake Long
LG - Morgan Moses
C - Barnes/Jones
RG - Billy Turner
RT - Barksdale

O-Line depth - Shelley Smith, Spencer Long, Brandon Washington, Seantrel Henderson, Zach Fulton. *Mack would be a good choice for center if we make the right cuts and use the money to sign him.

Turner and Moses can be moved outside if Long or Barks are injured. Long and Smith can fill in for whoever moves outside. Moses can be our future LT since he has the size and could be a decent LT right away and Bordreau will coach him up. Turner could be coached up to become RT if needed if Barks leaves after next year. S.Long will be a very good guard in the future. Henderson will be a project but is insanely physically talented and would at least provide depth at tackle if needed, if he matures and stops doing stupid things could be a beast someday.

And that is my plan for our line without using a 1st rounder on a tackle.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
There is a strong vibe being reported out of STL (J Thomas I believe) that the Rams are not going all-in with Saffold and he's likely gone.

So to answer the question... Even with Saffold, that line lacks durability and raises depth concerns in my book.

Yeah I took that comment by Thomas to mean one of 4 things (assuming he's right)

1. Fisher thinks we don't need an elite OG.
2. Fisher doesn't think Saffold is an elite OG.
3. Fisher thinks we need an elite OG and Saffold is an elite OG but believes the FA money can be used better elsewhere.
4. Fisher thinks we can replace Saffold easily in the draft.

It would be interesting knowing which one.