Would Tyrann 'Honey Badger' Mathieu be worth a pick?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AJ Young

UDFA
He obviously has some huge off field problems but he was a talented playmaker at LSU and a cornerback combination of Finnegan, Jenkins and Mathieu would make for a supremely talented corps. Can our locker room handle him? Thoughts, opinions?

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.downattheone.com/NFL/The-Honey-Badger-Problem" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.downattheone.com/NFL/The-Hon ... er-Problem</a>

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I don't know that we need to spend a pick on corner right now. We have three very good ones (Trumaine is going to surprise people, methinks), and we have other needs. Plus, I think, you don't want to have TOO many headcases on one team. If you have a few, and they're surrounded by quality dudes, then it's easily manageable. But if you get too many, then somebody's going to want to evolve as THE alpha male on the team and we don't need that.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
X said:
I don't know that we need to spend a pick on corner right now. We have three very good ones (Trumaine is going to surprise people, methinks), and we have other needs. Plus, I think, you don't want to have TOO many headcases on one team. If you have a few, and they're surrounded by quality dudes, then it's easily manageable. But if you get too many, then somebody's going to want to evolve as THE alpha male on the team and we don't need that.

I agree with this. Trumaine Johnson's going to surprise a ton of people next year; he has ball skills that are just as good as Jenkins', he's a very willing tackler, and he's does it all at 6'2". I'm calling him Nnamdi Asomugha-lite for a reason.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Tru surprised people last year. He is very good, and will only get better.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
This is an interesting prospect but agree with everyone we are set. He's definitely going to be a superb value as a nickel corner for a needy team. I'll say he goes early to mid 3rd rnd if not sooner. In addition provides another dimension as a returner.

…..

Legend
I thought Tyrann's value was more of a return guy....not like he's an elite corner prospect.

I had him down as an outside shot as a 3rd rounder.

As for the "can our locker room handle him" question....I believe theres a limit to how much questionable character you can have in the locker room, and especially on one side of the ball. and more especially at one position. That said....I'm going NO on Mathieu. You put three 20 year old misfits together, you're bound to have a misfit party.

But you could use X's valid football reasons if you want :ww:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Can he play safety?

If yes, maybe.

If no, no.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
The dude is definitely an athlete, and teams always need those. Problem being, the size factor. He checks in at 5'9"? Granted he's still bigger than me, but still smaller than just about every other guy in the NFL. Similar situation as Taylor Mays a few years back. Yes the guy had undeniable athletic talents, but his size just doesn't allow him to take the field often enough.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
CGI_Ram said:
Can he play safety?

If yes, maybe.

If no, no.

At 5'9" he's too small to play safety, so no. We need safeties who are "thumpers" that can cover and support the run. Also, Givens and Pead will see more time returning kicks and punts next year, so Mathieu really won't add anything we don't already have on the roster.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Turns out he put up a whopping 4 reps on the bench.

Four.