Worst Rams Draft?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
This is a topic that needs no introduction, we all know that the Rams have had some clunkers of drafts in recent history. What I want to know is, which one do you fellas think was the worst?

My vote will go with the 2002 draft, I don't think it needs to be elaborate, but here it goes anyways.

First the most egregious thing in my mind, the fact that they drafted two QBs in an effort to convert them into something else. I never understand that, why draft somebody and convert them into something else? Why not draft players that actually play at that position. I mean it's something when it's one, but they drafted two QBs, wasted two draft picks on trying to force guys to play something they never did before and the results were terrible.

The fact that everybody in the draft fizzled out so spectacularly. The best thing to come out of the draft for the Rams that year was a long snapper, the second best being a career back up in Travis Fisher. It was like Martz tried to get everything wrong and did so with such precision that it's actually kind of admirable in a macabre sort of fashion.

That's just my opinion though, what's you guys?

Lesson

Oh, really?

How do you miss on not 1, not 2, but 3 first rounders? Archuleta was productive, but not durable. Pickett is still playing, but not in St. Louis.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Lesson said:

How do you miss on not 1, not 2, but 3 first rounders? Archuleta was productive, but not durable. Pickett is still playing, but not in St. Louis.
Ya give the choices to Lovie Smith,those were his selections as was Robert Thomas as was letting London Fletcher walk so we could sign Jamie Duncan.

Lovie learned from his mistakes and learned a lot while he was here.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
If we look back there were some very solid players around where we were...unfortunately Richard Seymour wasn't.

#11 Dan Morgan #12 Damione Lewis #17 Steve Hutchinson #18 Jeff Backus #19 Casey Hampton. #20 Arch #28 Pickett #30 Reggie Wayne.

Yes 2001 was bad however I don't see a pick and move where it would have been immaculate. Thank god for Kroenke, Snead and Fish in the present ROD Bros.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Has to be 2006. I think out of all of the players that were drafted by us, only Tye Hill is still in the league. And given the fact that we had the chance to pick Haloti Ngata and he literally went right after our traded pick, I can't say that there's a worse draft than that one.

We eschewed the chance to pick a perennial All-Pro for a guy whose only saving grace is that he can run fast. That isn't even mentioning all of the other good players that we missed out on later in the draft (i.e., Elvis Dumervil, Marques Colston, Jahri Evans, Devin Hester, Tim Jennings, Andrew Whitworth, Owen Daniels, Kyle Williams, and Antoine Bethea).

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
BatteringRambo said:
If we look back there were some very solid players around where we were...unfortunately Richard Seymour wasn't.

#11 Dan Morgan #12 Damione Lewis #17 Steve Hutchinson #18 Jeff Backus #19 Casey Hampton. #20 Arch #28 Pickett #30 Reggie Wayne.

Yes 2001 was bad however I don't see a pick and move where it would have been immaculate. Thank god for Kroenke, Snead and Fish in the present ROD Bros.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Amen Brother!!!!!!!
I was just thinking how close we came to having the Jags Shahid Khan as our owner. I'm sure he's a great guy, but looking at how awful the Jags are, that could have been us.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Lesson said:

I still give the edge to 2002, at least 2001 yielded something of merit for the Rams, Archuleta was a productive, good starter and Ryan Pickett at least went on to be somebody somewhere else.

In '02, we got jack squat. Guys weren't even passable as back ups, the only starter we got out of that whole debacle of a draft was Massey and he was a long snapper and was in about 5% of the game.

Just an awful, awful inexcusable draft in my opinion.

Psycho_X

Legend
Memento said:
Has to be 2006. I think out of all of the players that were drafted by us, only Tye Hill is still in the league. And given the fact that we had the chance to pick Haloti Ngata and he literally went right after our traded pick, I can't say that there's a worse draft than that one.

We eschewed the chance to pick a perennial All-Pro for a guy whose only saving grace is that he can run fast. That isn't even mentioning all of the other good players that we missed out on later in the draft (i.e., Elvis Dumervil, Marques Colston, Jahri Evans, Devin Hester, Tim Jennings, Andrew Whitworth, Owen Daniels, Kyle Williams, and Antoine Bethea).

Yep, has to be 2006. Just awful. And i'm pretty sure Tye Hill has not played football in the NFL for at least 2 or 3 years.

I mean seriously look at these names...

Tye Hill
Joe Klopfenstein
Claude Wroten
Joe Alston
Dominique Byrd
Victor Adeyenju
Marques Hagans
Tim Mcgarigle
Mark Setterstrom
Tony Palmer.

I'd take Ryan Pickett alone over all of those guys. Adeyenju was the only remotely useful player that stayed in the league beyond a couple years.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Nothing comes close to 2006 and 2007. The cruelest part of that is Tye Hill and Adamn Carriker had good rookie years.

FRO

Legend
Man there were some bad ones. The 06/07 ones are tied for last. I think it was 96' when we picked Phillips, Kennison, and Banks. We could have drafted Eddie George and Marvin Harrison. I would also have to put the 09' draft into consideration due to the fact wr blew the second overall pick. That can't happen.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Way too many for me to want to recall. :sick: But really... 1984. We didn't have a pick until the 5th round and I believe not ONE SINGLE player drafted by the Rams EVER took a regular season snap with the Rams.

I wonder if that has ever happened to another team.