Worst Ram loss you've ever endured

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
This list should be "what is your 2nd most painful loss." We all know the first! Here's my 2nd. I was 12 and obsessed with our team:

In 1974, the Rams should of played the NFC Championship game against the Vikings in 70 degree Los Angeles instead of -12 wind chill factor Minnesota. Both teams were 10-4, and the Rams had won their one regular-season meeting. Until 1975, however, the NFL rotated playoff sites, and it was the NFC Central's turn to play host to the conference championship game. Forget about it being the NFC Championship game, name me any game that a team goes over 99 yards and gets no points and loses by 4 points. This is what happened:

In the 3rd quarter, the Vikings hold a 7-3 lead. A punt pinned the Rams inside their 1-yard line, but we moved out of danger to their 25. Then Harris hit Harold Jackson for a 73-yard gain. Jackson should have scored, but he was nudged out of bounds by Jeff Wright at the Vikings' 2. One play later the Rams were less than six inches from a 10-7 lead. But Harris, who could have fallen forward for the go-ahead TD, switched to a long count.The refs said Hall of Fame guard Tom Mack flinched (bullcrap call), costing the Rams five yards. Two plays later, linebacker Wally Hilgenberg intercepted Harris' tipped pass in the end zone. The Rams had gone 99 yards and produced no points. We lose by 4 points.

It's been 40 years and the pain is still fresh.

The Viking curse. They kept us out in '69, '74 & '76. Each time, we had the better team :(

I remember that one too, and I'm still furious about the phantom false start call on Tom Mack.

The only consolation to all of those years was that beating the Rams in the playoffs became the kiss of death for those teams. What do I mean?
'73 - Cowboys beat Rams, lose NFCC to Vikings the next week
'74 - Viking beat Rams in NFCC, lose Super Bowl to Pittsburgh
'75 - Cowboys beat Rams in NFCC, lose Super Bowl to Pittsburgh
'76 - Viking beat Rams in NFCC, get clobbered by Raiders in Super Bowl
'77 - Vikings beat Rams in the mud bowl, get bounced next week in the NFCC
'78 - Cowboys beat Rams in NFCC, get beat by Pittsburgh in the Super Bowl.

Serves 'em right, every damn time. :lifting:

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
This list should be "what is your 2nd most painful loss." We all know the first! Here's my 2nd. I was 12 and obsessed with our team:

In 1974, the Rams should of played the NFC Championship game against the Vikings in 70 degree Los Angeles instead of -12 wind chill factor Minnesota. Both teams were 10-4, and the Rams had won their one regular-season meeting. Until 1975, however, the NFL rotated playoff sites, and it was the NFC Central's turn to play host to the conference championship game. Forget about it being the NFC Championship game, name me any game that a team goes over 99 yards and gets no points and loses by 4 points. This is what happened:

In the 3rd quarter, the Vikings hold a 7-3 lead. A punt pinned the Rams inside their 1-yard line, but we moved out of danger to their 25. Then Harris hit Harold Jackson for a 73-yard gain. Jackson should have scored, but he was nudged out of bounds by Jeff Wright at the Vikings' 2. One play later the Rams were less than six inches from a 10-7 lead. But Harris, who could have fallen forward for the go-ahead TD, switched to a long count.The refs said Hall of Fame guard Tom Mack flinched (bullcrap call), costing the Rams five yards. Two plays later, linebacker Wally Hilgenberg intercepted Harris' tipped pass in the end zone. The Rams had gone 99 yards and produced no points. We lose by 4 points.

The Viking curse. They kept us out in '69, '74 & '76. Each time, we had the better team :(

I'd like to see that game. Love older Rams moments I know nothing about! Thankyou

The only Ram game I've ever been to was the London debacle. So I gotta go with that. It was a great weekend but the game itself sucked.

Also felt really flat after the winner takes all week 17 Seahawks game a few years back because we just didn't show up.

Those two for me also. The fun thing about the London game was that it came the day after the Gators lost to Georgia on a last minute goal line fumble ending our undefeated season and any chance at a national championship. So fun weekend all around.

VARam

For as bad as all the playoff losses were, they pale in comparison to Super Bowl XXXVI. That bullcrap was career altering, franchise altering, and life altering.

It ain't close and SHOULDN'T be close.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Every loss to the forty fucking whiners.
They've always been pricks.
(Aside from Superbowl 36)

Last edited:

VARam

I mean really, it shouldn't be close. All the other losses and post 36 losses were against better to vastly superior teams. Hell even the 2000 Saints were a worthy opponent. Losing to New England was like losing to a beer league football team.

fearsomefour

Legend

Damn you Bud Grant.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I'll always dislike Az Hakim for fumbling that punt against the 'Aints in 2000. 13 year old me wept that day :cry:.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I'll always dislike Az Hakim for fumbling that punt against the 'Aints in 2000. 13 year old me wept that day :cry:.
You're far from the only person expressing that opinion, I'm just picking on you a bit to quote, but I had a slightly different view of that back in the day.

There was an old cartoon in Mad set at a Little League game. Boy A comes to bat... strike 3, he's out. Boy B comes to bat... strike 3, he's out. Boy C comes to bat... strike 3, he's out. Next panel, Boy A and Boy B are in Boy C's face telling him "You lost the game for us!"

Az's muff sucked, but Az didn't lose the game. If the Rams had played better (or worse), the muff wouldn't have mattered. The RAMS lost that game, not one player.

Leuzer

Daniel Leu
What was the worst you ever felt after a Rams game? For me being a fan since 03' I would have to say it was the Seahawks in 2006. I felt sick for weeks after that. Torrys catch was all for nothing.
I feel ya.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
December 27th 1969. Minnesota Vikings 23 - Los Angeles Rams 20. I was just a little girl, and I cried my eyes out. I still hurt when I think of that playoff game.

My consolation prize came the following week, when the Rams beat the Cowboys for 3rd place in the NFC... 31 to Zero, in the final "Playoff Bowl" ever played!
For more information on the extinct Playoff Bowl click on the Wikipedia link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playoff_Bowl
Lady, you are one smart Rams fan! :notworthy:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In my immediate memory, the last loss in CLink stings...Heck, when was the last time we won in that place? I'll know we have arrived when we go in there and dominate the Hawks..

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
The Cheatiots loss was hurtful. but I could see it was Martz's fault for not running the ball. (He just had to beat their secondary....even though it was pretty clear no one was going to call defensive holding or pass interference.....at least show the run a few times and get a little looser secondary.....but I digress....) The Carolina game was the one that floored me the hardest. I just didn't believe there was any way we could lose....well until I saw Sehorn not even move until Smith had caught the ball that is....... that one just completely blew me away.

Also the Seahawks win over the Rams in week 17 in Sam's first year...... I really didn't see them winning....but we laid an egg......

Leuzer

Daniel Leu
Superbowl 36 by far.

One that hasn't been mentioned yet is the 28-0 loss at Seattle to start the 2009 season. To have any season start off that way sucks but then to follow it up with a 35-0 Loss in San Francisco three weeks later...

Just horrible football that season.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The one I will always remember (because my sisters won't let me)... was 1969... that loss to the Vikings up in Bloomington for the Division title.
It was December 27th and 10 degress up there. Those boys from SoCal played their hearts out under what must have been intolerable conditions to them.

Lost 23-20.

I was 12 then and - according to my sisters - I threw myself on the floor and cried for an hour (of course, I have no such recollection of doing that) ;)

Ozoneranger

Rookie
I remember that one too, and I'm still furious about the phantom false start call on Tom Mack.

The only consolation to all of those years was that beating the Rams in the playoffs became the kiss of death for those teams. What do I mean?
'73 - Cowboys beat Rams, lose NFCC to Vikings the next week
'74 - Viking beat Rams in NFCC, lose Super Bowl to Pittsburgh
'75 - Cowboys beat Rams in NFCC, lose Super Bowl to Pittsburgh
'76 - Viking beat Rams in NFCC, get clobbered by Raiders in Super Bowl
'77 - Vikings beat Rams in the mud bowl, get bounced next week in the NFCC
'78 - Cowboys beat Rams in NFCC, get beat by Pittsburgh in the Super Bowl.

Serves 'em right, every damn time. :lifting:

The 75 and 76 games were killers. 37-7 at home and that damned mud bowl against the Vikes. Rams were heavy favorites in both games.

The regular season game that really hurt was Everett's coming out party ruined by a hail mary. New England. Of course.

Then SB 36.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
most of mine have been covered here (70's playoff failures) the redskins 51-3 dismantling was exceptionally tough to take since eric dickerson was really good except for that game. the 47-3 loss to the jets was mega embarrassing as the team basically quit.
the other game was the one that officially ended my gambling career. my uncle would call me up and ask my picks for monday night football games. well the rams played the 49ers and were a 17 point favorite and biased little me told him the rams could cover. well, they lost 16-0 (how ironic) and the 49ers had 10 sacks in that game which coined the "gold rush" term for their defense. the following weeks phone call with my uncle really tried my rams fanship. i could go on and on unfortunately, thankfully super bowl 34 happened to lessen the rest of the "bad" games.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/197610110ram.htm (pretty cool website of old games and stats)