Witherspoon ready to start

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/106571/if-called-upon-witherspoon-ready-to-start" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... y-to-start</a>
If called upon, Witherspoon ready to start
EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Although nobody came out and said it outright Wednesday, including Will Witherspoon himself, it’s the 12th-year veteran that seems most likely to replace suspended starter Jo-Lonn Dunbar in the Rams’ lineup.

Coach Jeff Fisher did not comment on Dunbar’s suspension for violation of the league’s policy on performance-enhancing drugs, but given the team’s lack of experience behind Dunbar, Witherspoon is the most logical option to fill the void.

Following a special-teams practice Wednesday afternoon, Witherspoon did speak to the media about his potential new role.

“I don’t make those assumptions and those are decisions way out of my pay grade,” Witherspoon said, laughing.

The Rams will be counting on LB Will Witherspoon for being more than just a veteran presence.
Considering that Witherspoon is the only backup linebacker on the depth chart with any meaningful playing experience in the league, he’s the guy many expect to start on the right side opposite Alec Ogletree. Witherspoon has started 150 games and played in 173 in his 11-year career.

Josh Hull, who is entering his fourth year, is the only other linebacker to make a start in the NFL and he has just one to his credit. Second-year LB Jabara Williams has appeared in seven games with no starts. The four other linebackers on the depth chart are undrafted rookies.

“With everything that is going on, it really comes down to the simple fact that we’ve all got to step up so no matter where you are asked to do it, what you are asked to do, we’ve all got to pick up our game, we’ve all got to make sure that we fill that hole when it happens,” Witherspoon said. “If I’m asked to step in and start, that’s what I’ll do. And if not, then I’m still going to be the same veteran leader that I’ve always wanted to be.”

The Rams signed Witherspoon on July 22, just three days before the veterans were to report for training camp. That he was brought in more than three weeks ago was not a coincidence given the nature of how suspension information flows in the NFL.

More often than not, teams are informed of suspensions long before they become public. Further, players often go through an appeals process should they opt to go that route before a suspension is announced.

This case was no different, as the Rams knew Dunbar’s suspension was coming before signing Witherspoon.

The Rams needed some veteran depth at linebacker anyway and they opted to add someone who is familiar with the defense and the franchise in Witherspoon.

Witherspoon played for Fisher when the two were in Tennessee in 2010. There, Witherspoon started all 16 games on the outside, finishing with 99 tackles and a pair of interceptions.

Before his time with the Titans, Witherspoon played for the Rams from 2006-09.

Upon arrival in St. Louis, Witherspoon said his familiarity with the defense has made for an easy transition though some of the terminology, positioning and the way certain calls are played out have changed.

“What’s required of me, that’s what I’m willing to do,” Witherspoon said. “Step in. I’m very familiar with the defense in a lot of its aspects and some of the little nuances and changes that have happened, those are things that are readily adaptable.”

In the Rams’ defensive scheme the outside linebacker positions are essentially interchangeable, so the loss of Dunbar likely won’t require any more shuffling than simply bumping someone up the depth chart to take his place.

Witherspoon has played all three linebacker positions at various points in his career, but he's played outside exclusively since his first stint with the Rams in 2008.

“Left and right side really doesn’t make that big of a difference to you,” Witherspoon said. “We’ll just take everything in stride and keep going with it.”

Witherspoon’s 33rd birthday is Sunday but he’s remained productive in recent seasons though his role was diminished for the first time in 2012 with the Titans.

For the first time since his rookie season with Carolina in 2002, Witherspoon didn’t start the majority of his team’s games last year. He played in 14 with five starts in posting 47 tackles, a sack and an interception.

Despite the opportunity that looms, Witherspoon said he feels bad for Dunbar regardless of the circumstances of the suspension.

“You always feel bad any time a guy is going to miss any particular part of the season, no matter what,” Witherspoon said. “But we are all going to support him and say, ‘Hey, as soon as you get back, let’s get back to rolling and going forward with what we know we can do.’”

<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/106572/six-nfc-west-suspensions-and-counting" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... d-counting</a>
Six NFC West suspensions and counting
The suspensions NFC West players Jo-Lonn Dunbar and Demarcus Dobbs incurred Wednesday brought to six the total for the division this offseason.

The St. Louis Rams account for three of them after the NFL levied a four-game suspension against Dunbar, a linebacker, under its policy against performance-enhancing drugs. Dunbar denied taking PEDs and said he ingested a banned substance unknowingly. Current teammate Isaiah Pead and former teammate Rokevious Watkins, since released, face one-game bans for violating the NFL's policy on substance abuse.

Dunbar will be missed. He played better than 98 percent of the defensive snaps last season and finished with 4.5 sacks. Veteran Will Witherspoon is the most logical fill-in for Dunbar when the Rams open the season with games against Arizona, Atlanta, Dallas and San Francisco.

Dobbs, suspended for one game under the substance-abuse policy, played 41 snaps on the defensive line last season. He also provided insurance at tight end.

The chart below ranks suspended NFC West players by base salary lost. Players lose one-seventeenth of their base salaries for every game suspended. They can also reduce their chances for earning incentives.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I guess it's time to start watching curious signings around the league and betting who's next when it comes to suspensions.

Team sign veteran even though they are stacked ,look at the guy who seems "revitalized" bet he's gonna get whacked.

F. Mulder

Starter
I can't help but think a stop-gap LBer will be cut who can back up WW at least for the first 4 games. With that said, I agree with the comments that even though we lose a good run LBer and tough hombre, we may be better served with someone like AO who can run with TEs. I was also encouraged by Coach O's report that said that in many instances they were running 2 LBers with McDonald playing a quasi-third LBer in passing situations. I still have fears about McDonald but him being able to run with RBs and/or TEs vs the Dahl/Mikell combination is not one of them.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I really don't mind that Jo-Lon is out. Yeah he's a presence on the D but it gives Alec Ogletree more playing time and that will benefit him more. I expect to see a ton of nickle the first 4 games.