With the 87th Pick the Rams select ???

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Geron Christian Tyrell Crosby, Austin Corbett, Wyatt Teller, Dorrance Armstrong, Josh Sweat, Jeff Holland, Martinas Rankins, Gerard Avery, Alex Cappa, Uchenna Nwosu and Ogbo Orkoronkwo too name a few also could be in the running. This year it could be wide open who we take. And with us not picking until 87 a lot of people are going to see their favorites go off the board while we’re sitting around watching. It’s going to be a fun night.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
LB Josey Jewell - This guy just looks and plays like a MLB!
I think for an ILB/MLB, we could do a lot better at #87! I think ILB Micah Kiser - Viginia a 6ft 2 / 240 "Thumper" with a 126.2 SPARQ score would Fill-The-Bill nicely!(y);):D

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think for an ILB/MLB, we could do a lot better at #87! I think ILB Micah Kiser - Viginia a 6ft 2 / 240 "Thumper" with a 126.2 SPARQ score would Fill-The-Bill nicely!(y);):D

Kiser was my 2nd pick and I think he would be an excellent pick by the Rams if he is still available at #87.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Will be interested to see who the Rams select, players similar to Kupp & Johnson, who were able to start as rookies, or a player like Everett, who was not expected to contribute early. Rams have openings at OLB, taking spots of Barwin & Quinn. Ebukam & Longacre are expected to start, curious to see if early picks will be made to challenge for those starting positions, or more of a down the road type starter such as Everett.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Wouldn't you have loved to know if Everett was really the first choice of the Rams last year, or if there were some names that were scratched off (and who WERE they?) before it was their turn?

Who else was on the list just in case Everett got picked ahead of the Rams? Obviously, Kupp and JJ3 were on the big board too, but who else was there and didn't make it from Everett to Kupp?

Gotta be several names that get scratched off before your pick when your drafting at #87.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Wouldn't you have loved to know if Everett was really the first choice of the Rams last year, or if there were some names that were scratched off (and who WERE they?) before it was their turn?

Who else was on the list just in case Everett got picked ahead of the Rams? Obviously, Kupp and JJ3 were on the big board too, but who else was there and didn't make it from Everett to Kupp?

Gotta be several names that get scratched off before your pick when your drafting at #87.
I would love to be privy to that info

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
This seems pretty easy, one would surmise if Crosby is there, he'll be the pick followed by either an ILB or Edge Rusher, long wait until number 87, IMO, Crosby most likely gone so Jewell could be the pick, but under this regime, you never know.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
This seems pretty easy, one would surmise if Crosby is there, he'll be the pick followed by either an ILB or Edge Rusher, long wait until number 87, IMO, Crosby most likely gone so Jewell could be the pick, but under this regime, you never know.
I see where Lance Zierlein @ nfl.com has now moved Crosby out of the OT category into the OG cadre of prospects. I have always thought that Tyrell Crosby was far more OG than right OT. Snead will need a few OG's almost as bad as he needs OT's. If Snead does go with TC he will still need to go after a few OT's with left side abilities.

I still maintain that if it were possible Snead top priority should be aimed towards a swing OT. Snead has already tasked Kromer to develop Blythe, Nearly & Eldrenkamp as interior OG starting prospects in 2019 season due to the UFA status of our two starting OG's. But Snead does not have any such cadre now @ OT. Snead stand to be minus both starting OT in 2019 too.

Last edited:

RamsFlash80

Pro Bowler

Sam is insanely underrated and I dont get it. He just looks and plays like he belongs in a higher round than his projections. He was one of the better ILBs in the Pac but is graded so low? We might be able to get him with one of our many 6th rounders.

Sam was coming off an excellent sophomore year when lining up for the first game of the 2016 season. Unfortunately, a foot injury suffered in that contest shut down his campaign after just one tackle. He rehabbed that injury and returned to garner honorable mention All-Pac-12 honors in 2017, leading the Sun Devils with 127 tackles, 9.5 for loss, three sacks, and two pass breakups. That sophomore season saw Sam compile 98 tackles, 6.5 for loss, an interception, and two pass breakups in 13 starts. Sam started at Allen High School for two straight state titles and was a top-30 linebacker recruit when signing with ASU. He played in 12 games as a reserve, making 16 tackles, one for loss, an interception, and one pass breakup.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9sA2x5c0_8

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Well I'm loving Snead's track record in Rd 3

(Source the huddle Zn)

Rams third round picks since 2012.

2012 3 65 Trumaine Johnson
2013 3 92 Stedman Bailey
2013 3 71 T.J. McDonald
2014 3 75 Tre Mason RB
2015 3 89 Sean Mannion
2015 3 72 Jamon Brown
2017 3 91 John Johnson
2017 3 69 Cooper Kupp

If you don't count Bailey (shot) then it's 7.

Out of those 7, 5 became starters: Johnson, McDonald, Brown, Johnson, Kupp. 71.4%.

If anyone knows the normal hit rate for third round picks, it would be fun to compare, but I know 71.4% beats it.

http://theramshuddle.com/topic/rams-third-round-picks-2012-17/

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Sam is insanely underrated and I dont get it. He just looks and plays like he belongs in a higher round than his projections. He was one of the better ILBs in the Pac but is graded so low? We might be able to get him with one of our many 6th rounders.

Sam was coming off an excellent sophomore year when lining up for the first game of the 2016 season. Unfortunately, a foot injury suffered in that contest shut down his campaign after just one tackle. He rehabbed that injury and returned to garner honorable mention All-Pac-12 honors in 2017, leading the Sun Devils with 127 tackles, 9.5 for loss, three sacks, and two pass breakups. That sophomore season saw Sam compile 98 tackles, 6.5 for loss, an interception, and two pass breakups in 13 starts. Sam started at Allen High School for two straight state titles and was a top-30 linebacker recruit when signing with ASU. He played in 12 games as a reserve, making 16 tackles, one for loss, an interception, and one pass breakup.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9sA2x5c0_8

The problem I saw with Sam is that his love and commitment to the game has been questioned.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
At this moment in time I would select .....
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/tim-settle?id=32462018-0002-5601-905d-2aba6fe19f35

If Tim Settle he is close to the #87 pick I would make the trade up to get him. Rams do not have a legit NT on this 34 defense. Next year when Suh enters back in free agency Rams need to have a NT ready to start.Tim has been trending down the draft boards since the combine & stands to be in easy striking distance for Snead.

Add in the fact that Rams have Five DL'ers headed into Free Agency in a little over 10 months from now.
Ndamukong Suh
Aaron Donald
Dominique Easley
Ethan Westbrooks
Morgan Fox

If Tim was off the board then my next pick will be :
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/chuks-okorafor?id=32462018-0002-5598-6097-6a0cb1996550

Chuk Okorafor has been a starting LT for 2 full seasons & one season as a starting RT. He can come in here & be our swing OT for the 2018 season. Next season he could replace Rob Havenstein in 2019 & then move to LT when Andrew Whitworth retires.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
There seems to be a pretty deep class of 2nd tier linebackers in this draft. With our D-line, our LBs don't need to be all world. I'm thinking if one of the LBs they really like drops to us, we will take him in the third but it may be more likely we go after the best O-lineman available and maybe take two or three LBs in a row after that. I like a couple O-linemen like Crosby and Cappa but honestly have not looked at many others.

My thought is the Rams take someone like Malik with their third and then Cappa in the 4th.

The O-line is going to be tested by iron this off season and we may see some of our current back-ups make some big strides. I'm going to guess that any O-lineman we take in the draft will not see the field in '18 whereas a LB or two taken will likely get quite a bit of playing time. Does that mean LB is the earlier pick? Probably.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Thinking outside the box. How about if the Rams trade pick 87 for a 2nd rounder in 2019, if they can find a team willing to do so. Draft an OLB pass rusher and 3rd OT with the first 2 4th rounders. Use the remaining 5 draft pick for depth needs this year. Maybe you hit on some, maybe you dont. Would consider Cooks to be your 1st rounder, Peters your 2nd rounder. In 2019, would have a full compliment of draft picks, and 2 extra 3rd rounders for losing Tru & Sammy, giving you 5 of the top 100 picks for that draft. Not a bad way to go IMO.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Thinking outside the box. How about if the Rams trade pick 87 for a 2nd rounder in 2019, if they can find a team willing to do so. Draft an OLB pass rusher and 3rd OT with the first 2 4th rounders. Use the remaining 5 draft pick for depth needs this year. Maybe you hit on some, maybe you dont. Would consider Cooks to be your 1st rounder, Peters your 2nd rounder. In 2019, would have a full compliment of draft picks, and 2 extra 3rd rounders for losing Tru & Sammy, giving you 5 of the top 100 picks for that draft. Not a bad way to go IMO.
Time has ran out on re ordering our 2019 OL starters. It takes time to stew starting linemen on both sides of the line.

Someone please name me a full or even a half season starting Ram OL'er selected in the 4th or later rounds this last decade of modern football?

The only Ram drafted OL'er in the last decade who came close to this was Andrew Donnal. & he was never a starter, only started 4 gms @ RG/RT in 2016 cut last yr. 2006 Rams drafted OG/OC Mark Setterstrom who started 12 gms in 3 seasons. then ex Convict Claude Terrell was a 4th rd pick in 2005 who only started 10 gms as a Ram.

The best OL 4th round pick was drafted back two decades ago with Ryan Tucker in 1997. Rams stewed him for 3 full seasons before he became a starting RT for us in 2000 & 2001.Sorry I would have heartburn :sick: if we trade away our only pick in the first two days of this 2018 draft. I would hope that we could find the next Jackie Slater with our 3rd round selection in 2018 its been over 40 yrs since we could do that.

Last edited:

Malibu

Pro Bowler
#87 is a hard choice because there are a ton of LB options but not a ton of OLine options unless someone falls. To me as much as I don't like saying it we need backup OliOL more than rush LB.

I expect the pick to be a rush LB.