With promise of a big payday, Rams' Janoris Jenkins plays it by the book/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
With promise of a big payday, Rams' Janoris Jenkins plays it by the book
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...day-rams-janoris-jenkins-plays-it-by-the-book

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- For St. Louis Rams cornerback Janoris Jenkins, the road to riches is paved with a promise.

"I just love football," Jenkins said last week. "I've been playing since I was 7. I almost had it taken from me one time and I told myself and made a promise to my mom and my kids that I won't ever let it happen again."

As Jenkins embarks on his fourth and most important NFL season, the Rams have made signing him to a long-term contract a priority. That Jenkins is this close to landing a second deal with the Rams might come as a surprise to those aware of his college track record.

After a series of off-field incidents, including two marijuana-related arrests, cost him his spot at Florida, Jenkins transferred to North Alabama in an effort to clean up his reputation. He did enough for the Rams to use a second-round pick on him in the 2012 draft.

That's where the promise comes in. It's a promise that, to this point, he's kept. At the threshold of a potentially life-altering payday, Jenkins has much to lose by breaking it now.

In the time since that draft, Jenkins has had just one incident. He was deactivated for violation of team rules before a game against San Francisco his rookie season. Otherwise, he has become, according to coach Jeff Fisher and his teammates, the consummate professional.

For evidence of that professional growth, all we have to do is look to the book.

"Go look at his notebook," safety T.J. McDonald said. "If you want to know something about Janoris, go look at his notebook. He has a full notebook about the receivers he's going against. He takes this thing real serious. He wants to be one of the best. That's the thing about him. One thing that's different about him from other corners is he's sharp mentally. He gets beat, he comes back to the sideline, puts it away and goes back out there and makes another play. You've got to have that to be a good corner and he's got that."

Janoris Jenkins
Jenkins was kicked off Florida's team for off-field issues but is now a mainstay on the Rams' defense.
As a rookie, Jenkins made it a point to shadow veteran corner Cortland Finnegan. Finnegan was known for keeping meticulous notes on receivers he had faced or would face in a season.

Jenkins decided to emulate Finnegan and now has a notebook with about 85 pages full of details on different receivers. Even in the offseason, Jenkins says he will sit down on a Monday afternoon and just watch tape of wideouts across the league.

Jenkins' notes include a receiver's favorite route, routes he doesn't like, how fast he is and how he comes off the ball. With an actual book on the league's wideouts, Jenkins could be poised for a breakout season that could lead to many more with the team that gave him his start.

"I would love to be here," Jenkins said. "They were the only team that gave me a chance coming out knowing my background. So I would love to be here."

And the Rams seemingly would love to have him. Despite a habit of occasionally taking a risk that he shouldn't -- see Brandon Lloyd's 80-yard touchdown just before halftime of last year's Monday night loss to San Francisco -- Jenkins also provides his share of big plays.

In the past three seasons, Jenkins has six defensive touchdowns -- five from interceptions and one on a fumble recovery. That's the most of any defensive player in the league in that span.

Along the way, Jenkins has played through injuries, earning the respect of Fisher, end Chris Long and other teammates.

“We haven't had any issues as [long] as he's been here," Fisher said. "He's been a real pro. He's gotten better and better each year. He understands the importance of the offseason. He understands the importance of the reps. He's as good as I've been around playing through little things, minor injuries and things like that. He's a gamer. He practices. He sits in the front of the room and he loves the game. So, I couldn't say enough about him right now. He plays a tough position in this league and he plays it pretty well.”

According to Fisher, Jenkins had his best offseason, arriving in prime shape for training camp. Even though he's only in Year 4, he's the most experienced starter in the Rams' secondary and knows that for the defense to take the step many expect it to, he and the rest of the defensive backs have to cut down on allowing big plays.

"I was just motivated, pushing myself to the limit," Jenkins said. "I know that I've got talent and I just know that I've got to put talent and fundamentals all together now."

As for the business part of the equation, the two sides have had some discussions on a new deal for Jenkins despite the public persona Jenkins has put forth via social media.

To be sure, Jenkins is still far from the ideal brand ambassador. He made waves earlier this year by tweeting his support for former Florida teammate Aaron Hernandez -- who is serving a life sentence on a murder conviction -- and his displeasure at the proposed new St. Louis stadium not including a roof.

Recently, Jenkins posted a video of him discussing how much he likes Los Angeles, where the Rams could potentially relocate after the season. As one could imagine, those shortsighted moves didn't earn points with many of his followers.

But while the court of public opinion is quick to render its verdict, Jenkins is concerned only with staying true to that promise he made more than four years ago.

"My point of view, I just live my life," Jenkins said. "As long as I don't get in any trouble, make the headlines or make the ticker, I'm good. I don't worry about what nobody else says."

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I believe jj used to keep notes on wrs he would face in college as well. There were many articles stating that about him after the draft. Was always a hard worker in the film room according to people that knew him before the draft.