With new scheme Austin ready to increase production

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

lockdnram21

Legend
http://m.therams.com/news-and-event...oduction/e47e6a6e-f3b8-4a1a-9627-3561b4f1e5c9

There's no question wide receiver Tavon Austin took a step forward in his development in 2015, leading the Rams with 52 receptions, racking up 1,187 all-purpose yards, and reaching 10 total touchdowns. But with a revamped offensive system led by coordinator Rob Boras and new passing game coordinator/wide receivers coach Mike Groh, there's a good chance Austin may be significantly more productive in 2016.

"This offense has been re-designed to make sure he gets touches of the football," Fisher said after Wednesday's OTA practice. "As a result, there's a lot more for him to do."

So much more that Fisher said on Tuesday the West Virginia product has a chance to double his receptions from last year. The head coach has been saying for a few years the Rams offense needs to find creative ways to keep the ball in Austin's hands. And the wide receiver is completely receptive to the idea.

"I love it. They do a great job of trying to put me in position to make plays," Austin said in an interview with therams.com. "I'm not a selfish person. But the more balls - I definitely appreciate it from coach 'Fish' and all of the coaching staff."

One of the ways Austin will be able to get more touches is through his improvement in running routes. The wideout said he worked hard in the offseason in order to get better in that area. Groh's coaching has helped, too, because he's brought some changes to the types of routes Austin must execute.

"We've got different little steps and stuff - things that he wants in this offense," Austin said. "So just staying true to what he's telling us and things like that."

Austin said Groh has been tough and demanding on the wide receivers so far through the spring. It's easy to see from the types of precision drills the receivers have been doing that Groh places a high priority on running routes exactly the same every single time.

"Oh man, he's strict. He's real strict. He's real precise on what he wants," Austin said Wednesday. "He doesn't care what your name is - if he's going to yell at you, he's going to yell at you.

"That's what I like about him," Austin continued. "He's making sure you know what you're doing. He wants to speak his language. And that's real big in this offense, so he's doing a real good job."

"Tavon is a weapon we're going to utilize," Groh said in a recent interview. "I think he's had a tremendous spring so far."

And it's not just what Austin is doing on the field that counts. Heading into his Year 4, Austin has said he's ready to step into more of a leadership role - and he's applied that both on and off the field.

After the Rams selected Pharoh Cooper in this year's draft, Austin reached out to see if he could help the rookie. That continued through rookie camp, when Cooper said he and Austin chatted about the playbook over FaceTime.

"When I first came in, Austin Pettis kind of grabbed me by the shoulder and told me, 'Come on,'" Austin said. "So it's only right that I do the same thing."

That's even considering that Austin and Cooper have somewhat of an alike skill set.

"I could kind of see what type of player he was. He's a smaller guy. He kind of would do similar things [to] me," Austin said, adding the more talent the Rams acquire, the better off they'll be. "The person who beats you out for the job - they deserve it. But anything I can do to help anybody, I will do it."

Not that Austin has ever been immature, but his mindset is exemplary of a mature, team-first veteran.

"I think Tav's just getting more comfortable with himself and with his leadership," Boras said in a recent interview. "He's been a great role model for these young guys - his preparation, how focused he is in the meetings. And then watching him go out there and just take that leadership role with the rookies - that's hard for a guy to do."

Whether he's leading vocally or simply by example, Austin is clearly making a positive impression on both his teammates and coaches.

"Just to see him stay after and working extra, I think the sky is the limit," Boras said.

"He's doing a great job," Fisher said. "He's going to have a big year this year."

If all goes as planned, Austin's 2016 season will be his best yet.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
I got mixed feels about this. On one hand its great they want to get him more involved because of what he can do for this offense but on the other hand, designing the offense to increase his production can backfire if he, god forbid, gets injured considering hes one of a kind

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I got mixed feels about this. On one hand its great they want to get him more involved because of what he can do for this offense but on the other hand, designing the offense to increase his production can backfire if he, god forbid, gets injured considering hes one of a kind

Well, it wouldn't be every play, just more plays than having him run up the middle.

jap

Legend
Sounds like Groh knows what he wants and how to achieve it. I applaud his intention to get the rock into the hands into Tavon's hands more. We need to have Tavon and Todd driving defenders crazy all season long.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I would just love to see him in a lot of the old style type screen passes....in some space. But I sure would not make the offense around a frailest multipurpose weapon like TA. TA has done better getting out of bounds & avoiding those deadly hits the defense wants to place on him.

The pin point accuracy of a Goff throw should make TA a deep terror at some point before TA hits the free agency market in less than a year. Up to this point going into his 4th season all we have seen is just flashes of what his talent is. Not sure the Rams came out on top on that capital it invested back in 2013 draft yet. But it is a new season of hope.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
There's no question wide receiver Tavon Austin took a step forward in his development in 2015, leading the Rams with 52 receptions, racking up 1,187 all-purpose yards, and reaching 10 total touchdowns. But with a revamped offensive system led by coordinator Rob Boras and new passing game coordinator/wide receivers coach Mike Groh, there's a good chance Austin may be significantly more productive in 2016.
I can easily see Austin getting over 1600 all-purpose yards and 14 TD's this year, not matter what anyone else on the Team does, to rack up our scoring!!:D:homercrawl:

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Groh's attention to route running details is music to my ears. This will pay dividends with ALL our receivers, not just Tavon. Big dividends, actually.

Especially with an accurate QB like Goff slinging it. Once Goff establishes rapport with his receivers, he is capable of doing surgery on a D.

Goff was the missing link. Groh could be the turbocharger.

Might take a year to fully come together, but once it does it will be a nightmare to defend. I'm not just talking about Tavon here, btw. I mean Higbee, Britt, Cooper, Thomas, and anybody else that steps up.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Might take a year to fully come together, but once it does it will be a nightmare to defend. I'm not just talking about Tavon here, btw. I mean Higbee, Britt, Cooper, Thomas, and anybody else that steps up.
:thinking:I think Goff will be Firing-on-All-Cylinders sooner rather than later!:D

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
TA is a special player, no doubt. And this is his year. It's also effectively his contract year as there is no way we pick up that fifth year option. If I'm the FO I extend him now, before Goff blows him the Fuck up.

TA!!!

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
2.8 yards per carry...

The rest is just noise. He brings nothing to the 53.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Ditto that I'll believe it when I see it. TA is not nor ever will be Megatron and hyping him up as such is just setting fans up for a let down.

Also, I'm much more excited about the new tight ends and the dynamic and balance that this team hopefully achieves through the diversity that you can achieve with 12 personnel as Seattle and New England have done for years.

Well, that and another year of experience for our offensive line.