Wise to keep caution when evaluating Quick - FOX Sports

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
416232.jpg

September 25, 2012

695071.jpg

8979dbddc09348bb916a51f.png

ST. LOUIS – Kay Dalton has a story about Vincent Jackson. It's a tale of caution and patience and allowing talent to develop at a healthy pace. It's about trusting instinct, recognizing potential and understanding that maturing as a wide receiver takes time.

Dalton has a memory of Jackson – before the San Diego Chargers selected the Division I-AA prospect 61st overall in the 2005 NFL Draft, before the wideout was named to two Pro Bowls, before some used him as a model for St. Louis Rams rookie Brian Quick.

Jackson came to Northern Colorado raw. Dalton, the Bears' former coach, doesn't remember playing him much aside from special teams those first two years. Early in Jackson's time in the program, there were moments when he was told to run 10-yard routes in practice.

The problem? He broke off patterns 5 yards too long and too short.

"It's just a matter of maturation," Dalton says now.

That's the challenge facing Quick, the Rams' celebrated second-round pick, 33rdoverall, from Division I-AA Appalachian State. The 6-foot-3, 220-pound Columbia, S.C., native earned a program-best 3,418 yards receiving with 31 touchdowns. He drew comparisons to Terrell Owens on draft day, but he has caught as many passes from quarterback Sam Bradford as Jesse Owens since the start of Week 1.

Quick was inactive for non-health reasons Sunday before a loss to the Chicago Bears, and fair questions followed: What's wrong with coach Jeff Fisher's top choice at the Rams' greatest offseason area of need? Why hasn't Quick seen the field as often as fellow rookie wide receiver Chris Givens (two catches for 9 yards)? Why has he struggled to make an impact – playing only three snaps in each of the Rams' first two games – after receiving so much attention in training camp?

"I'm ready to go out there," Quick says. "I'm anxious just like anybody would be. If you're here on the team, you definitely want to contribute. But things didn't happen that way."

They didn't happen that way, and Fisher has offered little on the topic other than telling reporters Sunday, "The other guys are still ahead of him." The "other guys" include Danny Amendola (25 catches for 296 yards), Brandon Gibson (eight catches for 123), Steve Smith (five catches for 70), Givens and Austin Pettis – who debuted against the Bears after missing the first two games for violating the NFL's substance-abuse policy.

No, things haven't happened in a way Quick would have liked. No, he hasn't seen the field as often as he and others thought in his assumed role: As the top deep threat for a corps that desperately needs one. No, not even close.

But it's early, and it's wise to keep perspective. Development as a wide receiver requires a jog, not a Jaguar. We don't know what Quick's mark on the Rams will be.

"As a rookie, there's a lot to learn – no matter where you come from," says Dalton, who also served as an assistant coach in various capacities with the Denver Broncos, Buffalo Bills, Kansas City Chiefs and Houston Oilers. "The big thing is the speed of the game is so much faster. They have a lot of tight coverages that we normally don't get in college. There's lots of terminology. There's a lot to learn about how to run routes versus this coverage or that coverage – or this technique or that technique. … Even Vincent Jackson, who was a second-round pick, he didn't play a whole lot his first year."

That's where the Quick-Jackson comparison could be appropriate. Jackson, who signed with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in March, was a late bloom with the Chargers. He played eight games as a rookie, catching three passes for 59 yards; he caught 27 passes for 453 yards and six touchdowns in 2006; he caught 41 passes for 623 yards and three touchdowns in 2007; he caught 59 passes for 1,098 yards and seven touchdowns in 2008; and he caught a career-high 68 passes for 1,167 yards with nine touchdowns in 2009.

It's tempting to compare. It's tempting to study instant-strike rookies of the recent past, like the Buccaneers' Mike Williams (65 catches for 964 yards and 11 touchdowns in 2010) and the Dallas Cowboys' Dez Bryant (45 catches for 561 yards and six touchdowns the same year), and wonder if Quick could do the same. It's tempting to think so.

After all, everyone in April puffs out their chests thinking they have discovered the next Jerry Rice. Remember, the Rams were mighty proud of themselves after snagging Quick despite seeing Justin Blackmon (Jacksonville Jaguars) and Michael Floyd (Arizona Cardinals), Kendall Wright (Tennessee Titans) and A.J. Jenkins (San Francisco 49ers) go off the board in the first round.

Given Quick's start, the hype wasn't fair. Fisher and general manager Les Snead should have used a more measured approach with him. Sure, Quick could become a player worthy of the praise that accompanied his arrival. But until then, he must ignore the distractions around him.

"If he loses sight of the big picture, then it would be a hard thing for him," says Trey Elder, Quick's position coach at Appalachian State. "Brian has never been a guy who focused a lot on other people and what other people are doing. He has always been a guy who came to work and tried to do his job. … I don't think it's a thing where Brian looks at anyone else and loses any confidence."

It wouldn't hurt to look at Jackson's arc though. There's no shame in taking time to develop -- as long as potential is met.

Jackson's rookie season was unremarkable, but with each passing year, the Chargers were rewarded for their faith in him.

Can Quick recover after a slow start?

Caution and patience never harmed anyone.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
At the danger of sounding like a wet blanket and heaven knows this subject has been beaten to death....but until the O-line gets healthy and Bradford has time throw down field, speculation and promise are on hold. This team is about the future...next year and the year after. Like Fisher, all I'm looking for is improvement as we move through the season. It's been a long time in coming, but we're on the right track, we're all anxious for results....it's coming, just not fast enough for some.

I'll be plenty satisfied if Bradford stays healthy this season, while building confidence and a rhythm between himself and his receivers. Other than that, if they win a few games and stay competitive throughout most games, this will be a most successful season. Guys like Quick just need a little time, there's no hurry, just give them the time to develop.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
ramsince62 said:
At the danger of sounding like a wet blanket and heaven knows this subject has been beaten to death....but until the O-line gets healthy and Bradford has time throw down field, speculation and promise are on hold. This team is about the future...next year and the year after. Like Fisher, all I'm looking for is improvement as we move through the season. It's been a long time in coming, but we're on the right track, we're all anxious for results....it's coming, just not fast enough for some.

I'll be plenty satisfied if Bradford stays healthy this season, while building confidence and a rhythm between himself and his receivers. Other than that, if they win a few games and stay competitive throughout most games, this will be a most successful season. Guys like Quick just need a little time, there's no hurry, just give them the time to develop.
Yup.

I imagine what they saw during his workout was glimpses of what it would look like AFTER he was fully developed and gained enough football knowledge/awareness.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Agreed. My concern is that Bradford will get mauled behind this OL. Almost tempted to have Clemens or Davis play until the line is healthy and coherent. I do NOT expect this team to make the playoffs, and it would be a shame to let Bradford keep taking punishment. The OL HAS to be the #1 priority in the offseason.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
I realize where Quick came from and is trying to get...I just hope he really shines bright and can see it happening after midseason. It is odd I guess seeing the likes of other rookie wrs to the likes of Hilton, Graham,,Sanu Jeffrey, Hill (1 good game) having impacts and the first rounders behind them such as Blackmon, Jenkins,Wright, and Floyd (albeit showed up in the PHI game). Sure its too early and most if not all will change. I just hope Quick eventually fits in as our impact go-to guy.

Eventually we should see a consistent set of Quick, Givens and Amendola.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Faceplant said:
Agreed. My concern is that Bradford will get mauled behind this OL. Almost tempted to have Clemens or Davis play until the line is healthy and coherent. I do NOT expect this team to make the playoffs, and it would be a shame to let Bradford keep taking punishment. The OL HAS to be the #1 priority in the offseason.

Well I understand that. And if the seasons chances at a W/C were mathematically over and Bradford's H-A-S were in danger of needing surgery so he couldn't run to protect himself I'd even go so far as to say it was irresponsible to keep playing him.

However, right now even though he is getting hit ,that's going to be part of it after a good line is put in front of him and he's gaining experience ,he can run,even could be we roll him out a lot more and this team has a shot at a playoff berth.

Admittedly the "shot" is a less than great,OK less than good, but still the only team who is undefeated in the conference is coming here a week from today( I figure them to beat Miami) and I think we have a decent chance at giving them their first loss regardless if we win Sunday or not.

SO let's say we split those games and the win comes against AZ. Puts you 2-3 with 11 games to go if you go 6-5 in those you are 8-8 and my bet is considering the way the league is shaping up 8-8 is one game off what it takes to get a wild card.

This team is young and getting better every week despite how the O-Line is deteriorating.They ,including Sam are getting great experience.

But if the season went south we lose 6 straight and are 1-8, Bradford can't practice because his ankle is so sore the only time he can be on his feet is while he's playing ( and his personal physician says he needs to be off them even then)and the rest of his body is getting decimated because he can't run to get away from the hordes coming to get him through the spaghetti strainer in front of him,if Fisher still plays him, I'd lose a lot of faith in his judgement.