Wired with Rams LB Coach Joe Barry

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Wired with Rams LB Coach Joe Barry –Video

Get to know the Rams new Assistant Head Coach and Linebackers Coach Joe Barry in this mic’d up OTA edition of Wired. (2:26)

Watch Coach Barry Wired

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This is really good, get to see Jared Goff scramble and it's obvious Barry brings quite a bit to the table and energy as well. I'm fine with Joe Barry as a position coach and even Assistant Head Coach, but he's failed miserably as a defensive coordinator so when Wade decides to ride off into the sunset I hope if the Rams hire internally DB Coach Aubrey Pleasant is up to the challenge.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
This from our very own @Florida_Ram

:56 second mark... coach Barry: "Kevin Davis,all he does is make plays out there man. That dudes a baller."

hmmm it's only pajama practice and maybe Barry says stuff like that to all his LB's having a good practice.. or Barry has one of his early sleeper LB favorites.

LB KEVIN DAVIS COLORADO ST. MOUNTAIN WEST

OVERVIEW
A Parade High School All-American as a senior, Davis signed up to play in his home state. The past two seasons, he's been one of the best linebackers west of the Mississippi. The 2016 second-team All-Mountain West pick led the Rams with 110 tackles, 10.5 for loss, three sacks and four forced fumbles (tied for 10th nationally). Great things were expected from Davis this year because of his first year as a starter in 2015, where he earned honorable mention all-conference recognition as CSU's top tackle (101, 14 for loss).

It took Davis a couple of years to reach his potential, however, due to injuries. He was injured on the opening kickoff against Hawaii his freshman year, keeping him as a reserve in eight games (23 tackles). Davis was granted a medical redshirt the next season after four games (one tackle) on special teams. He missed two more games with an ailment in 2014, but wound up starting one game and making 22 tackles (2.5 for loss, sack) in 11 games that season.

STRENGTHS Makes plays near the line of scrimmage. Landed 24.5 tackles for loss over last two seasons. Athletic and smooth in his movements. Steps downhill with good balance and gathers himself in a tackle-ready position. Can flow and mirror a running back's change of direction. Able to extend his frame laterally and make the diving stop against shifty running backs. Can chase in space. Has consecutive 100-plus tackle seasons as a starter. Good hip fluidity in his drops and has some man-cover potential. Disguises blitzes and has speed to burst by unsuspecting offensive linemen.

WEAKNESSES Offers zero power as a tackler. Allows runners to deliver as much or more of a blow at the point of contact. Needs better bend and hip explosion into tackles. Too passive as a take-on linebacker. Will turn his head and lead with right shoulder no matter his location in the gap. Turns head into contact and loses sight of runner. Needs to get much better with his hands at the point of attack and as a blitzer. Loses too often to first block and struggles to play off of them quickly. Instincts are below average and plays through a straw with his vision.

DRAFT PROJECTION UDFA

BOTTOM LINE Productive, two-year starter with solid athleticism to finish as a tackler, but a lack of functional strength and interior grit. Davis needs to get better at creating his own opportunities with aggression and urgency if he is to make an NFL roster. He will likely have to move outside as he lacks the anchor and physicality for the interior.
-Lance Zierlein
[www.nfl.com]

Gotta love those helmets at Colorado State!
20150907__kevin-davisp1.jpg

KOWALSKI

Rookie
i hope he makes the 53. the last time a german played for the rams they won #34.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I was wondering who was this "Kevin" he was speaking about...

Too small. Probably only good in shorts & shirts.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
How big is he?

You'd think an NFL trainer and weight room could solve some of his underwhelming tackling strength?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
This from our very own @Florida_Ram

:56 second mark... coach Barry: "Kevin Davis,all he does is make plays out there man. That dudes a baller."

hmmm it's only pajama practice and maybe Barry says stuff like that to all his LB's having a good practice.. or Barry has one of his early sleeper LB favorites.

LB KEVIN DAVIS COLORADO ST. MOUNTAIN WEST

OVERVIEW
A Parade High School All-American as a senior, Davis signed up to play in his home state. The past two seasons, he's been one of the best linebackers west of the Mississippi. The 2016 second-team All-Mountain West pick led the Rams with 110 tackles, 10.5 for loss, three sacks and four forced fumbles (tied for 10th nationally). Great things were expected from Davis this year because of his first year as a starter in 2015, where he earned honorable mention all-conference recognition as CSU's top tackle (101, 14 for loss).

It took Davis a couple of years to reach his potential, however, due to injuries. He was injured on the opening kickoff against Hawaii his freshman year, keeping him as a reserve in eight games (23 tackles). Davis was granted a medical redshirt the next season after four games (one tackle) on special teams. He missed two more games with an ailment in 2014, but wound up starting one game and making 22 tackles (2.5 for loss, sack) in 11 games that season.

STRENGTHS Makes plays near the line of scrimmage. Landed 24.5 tackles for loss over last two seasons. Athletic and smooth in his movements. Steps downhill with good balance and gathers himself in a tackle-ready position. Can flow and mirror a running back's change of direction. Able to extend his frame laterally and make the diving stop against shifty running backs. Can chase in space. Has consecutive 100-plus tackle seasons as a starter. Good hip fluidity in his drops and has some man-cover potential. Disguises blitzes and has speed to burst by unsuspecting offensive linemen.

WEAKNESSES Offers zero power as a tackler. Allows runners to deliver as much or more of a blow at the point of contact. Needs better bend and hip explosion into tackles. Too passive as a take-on linebacker. Will turn his head and lead with right shoulder no matter his location in the gap. Turns head into contact and loses sight of runner. Needs to get much better with his hands at the point of attack and as a blitzer. Loses too often to first block and struggles to play off of them quickly. Instincts are below average and plays through a straw with his vision.

DRAFT PROJECTION UDFA

BOTTOM LINE Productive, two-year starter with solid athleticism to finish as a tackler, but a lack of functional strength and interior grit. Davis needs to get better at creating his own opportunities with aggression and urgency if he is to make an NFL roster. He will likely have to move outside as he lacks the anchor and physicality for the interior.
-Lance Zierlein
[www.nfl.com]

Gotta love those helmets at Colorado State!
20150907__kevin-davisp1.jpg
It sounds like Davis's only weakness is in Technique and that can be fixed in TC!

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
what are you talking about? he is bigger than tree and/or barron.
Champ just likes to poo poo pretty much anything positive regarding the Rams, lol. That's what decades of losing will do to you I reckon....

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Add 5 pounds of NFL muscle and a couple pounds of mean and he's good to go!
Yeppers! I posted earlier that I have a gut feeling we will see last yr 6th round LB'er Josh Forrest move inside on the strong side. I thought he looked good last season 6-3 240 plus pounds that's a perfect size. Since WILB'er Mark Barron has missed most all these early practices thus far, I have yet heard who was taking 1st team action @ the interior WSLB'er post. Do you know ? The prospects that would be utilized in this post are Bryce Hager, rookie UDFA Kevin Davis, Josh Forrest & possibly rookie 4th rd pick Samson Ebukam

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
This is really good, get to see Jared Goff scramble and it's obvious Barry brings quite a bit to the table and energy as well. I'm fine with Joe Barry as a position coach and even Assistant Head Coach, but he's failed miserably as a defensive coordinator so when Wade decides to ride off into the sunset I hope if the Rams hire internally DB Coach Aubrey Pleasant is up to the challenge.

Hopefully we have Wade until he retires, and hopefully that will be many years down the road.

But you know, with Barry I don't think he has ever coached under a DC of Wade's ability. I have to believe he is going to pick up a lot of things he was deficient in during his previous stops as DC. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if he's gone in the next year or two if things go according to plan with our defense... To take a DC job and this time get it right.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah dudes with the LBs we gotta wait for pads. That's a pad-centric position for evaluation.

But I will definitely be lookin for him in camp, I love a good underdog!

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I don't know much about him but it sounds like he does not like contact and will be weeded out when the pads are on.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Hopefully we have Wade until he retires, and hopefully that will be many years down the road.

But you know, with Barry I don't think he has ever coached under a DC of Wade's ability. .

Barry was Linebacker coach under one of the best defensive coordinators in Monte Kiffin with Tampa Bay, before moving on with his father in law Rod Marinelli to Detroit and Marinelli is a crafty DC as well, add in he served under Ron Rivera in San Diego so I disagree because those three are excellent defensive coaches, with Kiffin & Rivera ranking right up there with Phillips IMHO.

Barry had every opportunity to be successful in Washington, I will give him a pass in Detroit, and that was a total disaster. Wade is 70 so I hope he's got 5 good years left in him,.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Barry was Linebacker coach under one of the best defensive coordinators in Monte Kiffin with Tampa Bay, before moving on with his father in law Rod Marinelli to Detroit and Marinelli is a crafty DC as well, add in he served under Ron Rivera in San Diego so I disagree because those three are excellent defensive coaches, with Kiffin & Rivera ranking right up there with Phillips IMHO.

Barry had every opportunity to be successful in Washington, I will give him a pass in Detroit, and that was a total disaster. Wade is 70 so I hope he's got 5 good years left in him,.
I'm hoping for a minimum of 3 years out of Wade! I'll bet on more IF we make it to the Playoff's his 1st year!!

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'm hoping for a minimum of 3 years out of Wade! I'll bet on more IF we make it to the Playoff's his 1st year!!

Signed a three year deal, so I believe he will live up to that contract and if the Rams are winning I could see him staying on until 75, which is a good age to ride off into the California sunset.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Yeah Kiffin qualifies. Touche Mr. Pussycat!