Wired: Passing Coordinator Mike Groh

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Don't underestimate owner fixation on offensive minds. This offense has been so bad so long that IF they turn it around Boras will get interviews for head coach and Groh might even too. But if that happens it's all good, it means this offense finally got it together.

Usually it takes longer than a year as an OC to get a Head Coaching gig and it is very rare a position coach gets a Head Coaching job as well too. Last position coach to get hired as a Head Coach was Sean Peyton (QB Coach Cowboys) before that John Harbaugh (Special Team Coach Eagles) and before that it was Andy Reid (QB Coach Packers) most are either former Head Coaches, College Head Coaches or Offensive or Defensive Coordinators.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am excited about Groh and Boras... But I am also pumping the brakes. We've not seen much of an offense for many many years. That's got to change!
i hear you, however, havent seen much of a quarterback for many many years either. hopefully that has changed this season.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Usually it takes longer than a year as an OC to get a Head Coaching gig and it is very rare a position coach gets a Head Coaching job as well too. Last position coach to get hired as a Head Coach was Sean Peyton (QB Coach Cowboys) before that John Harbaugh (Special Team Coach Eagles) and before that it was Andy Reid (QB Coach Packers) most are either former Head Coaches, College Head Coaches or Offensive or Defensive Coordinators.

I don't disagree. Comment was on interviews, and teams jump all over guys who they think are hot offensive minds in the interview process whether they're ready or not. Haven't kept a list of who and when, going off memory here admittedly which can be shaky, but I seem to remember Gase being interviewed quickly on the circuit well before he was ready.

Even Schotty got one on the heels of that AFC Championship season I think it was. Either way I would hope that you're correct, that even IF this offense explodes they'll be virtually ignored in terms of the real job offers. But I have a suspicion this passing game is going to be markedly better and IMO whoever gets the cred is going to see a lot of opportunity open up. It's just been that bad for that long.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
But I have a suspicion this passing game is going to be markedly better and IMO whoever gets the cred is going to see a lot of opportunity open up. It's just been that bad for that long.

That is very possible for interviews and as I posted earlier that if Boras gets an interview, watch out, because I bet he comes off well. Usually like in business or government it's who you know and that is somewhat true when it comes to Head Coaches you only have to look at Tennessee to wonder how in the heck did Mike Mularkey get the full time gig with a career record of 18-39.

Overall I would be more concerned of losing Groh as an Offensive Coordinator, however, again the Rams would have to grant permission, but I feel it will take a couple of years for that to happen and then who knows what could happen.

Funny thing though @Merlin making me think about this a little Mike Tomlin was also hired without being a Coordinator, he was named Defensive Coordinator of the Vikings, but never got to serve in that capacity so he can be added to the list of Non Coordinator hires. So in essence over the last several years that is Tomlin, Peyton, Harbaugh and Andy Reid who were position coaches and not coordinators or former Head Coaches at the NFL or collegiate level. Pretty impressive list considering 3 out of 4 have won Super Bowls and Andy Reid has done great work in Philadelphia and now in Kansas City...Things that make you go hmmm????

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Kenny looks in shape for OTA's! Quick actually looked smooth, but it was against air. Williams was in a few clips and Groh seemed to like him. Gotta get out to Irvine and watch this WR Camp battle!

And follow it up with a camp report or more right here afterwards!

Don't underestimate owner fixation on offensive minds. This offense has been so bad so long that IF they turn it around Boras will get interviews for head coach and Groh might even too. But if that happens it's all good, it means this offense finally got it together.

I think your jumping the gun here Merlin. Boras is a co offensive coordinator, essentially. He had to have a passing coordinator to help him out. Neither Boras or Groh are 'The Guy'. I dont think one year of the Rams offense showing improvement will make teams willing to hand either of them the reins. Even two years wont do it. Goff will get most of the credit and the OC running game and OC passing game wont get the respect around the league because neither is the main man calling all of the shots. Offenses have to have repeated success for several years or a knack for QB development and show some sort of innovation for an OC to be noticed.

I am not fearing Groh or Boras being hired as head coaches. I would be more concerned with Groh being hired as an OC on another team. I'd be more concerned with losing Denard Wilson to a team that wants him as their DBs coach, instead of him splitting duties with Brandon Fisher.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think your jumping the gun here Merlin. Boras is a co offensive coordinator, essentially. He had to have a passing coordinator to help him out. Neither Boras or Groh are 'The Guy'. I dont think one year of the Rams offense showing improvement will make teams willing to hand either of them the reins. Even two years wont do it. Goff will get most of the credit and the OC running game and OC passing game wont get the respect around the league because neither is the main man calling all of the shots. Offenses have to have repeated success for several years or a knack for QB development and show some sort of innovation for an OC to be noticed.

I see this kind of discussion as the in-between-OTA-and-camp-madness type deal. I'm bored, and yeah there's nothing saying this offense will even finish above 28th or so and this is all moot.

Thing is when you have an offense that has been this bad for this long, however, turning it around would be a big deal. If that happens Fish is going to have to demonstrate an ability to keep the right guy. For example what if the passing game explodes and our offense finishes top ten in scoring? Other coaches are going to be all over Groh for their OC position which is a positional upgrade and right out the gate the success results in being picked over. Happened with Seattle, and you see it with teams that rise with unknown coordinators and positional coaches over and over.

And going back to what I said earlier... If it happens it's a good thing. But I'm also at that point concerned about whether Fish has that clout to keep a hot candidate around like you've seen some other coaches like Shanahan do with Kubiak. If Fish finds himself in that boat there's real risk of him losing Groh to an OC position (he will not stand in the way of coach promotions IMO) or Boras killing it in an interview and getting a HC gig. Worst case would be Boras getting the gig because then he might well bring Groh with him as his OC.

Just spitballin here. And to be honest I think I'm still shell shocked by the Schotty hire. Fisher's "feel" for offensive coaches really worries me, so I suppose now that I think he finally got it right I am looking for a way for it to go bad, idk.