Windows 10

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I am currently doing the free offer. It is installing as we speak.

Does anyone have anything good or bad to say a out it?

Any tips?

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
My old laptop died and got a great deal on Amazon Prime day. Going from 7 to 10. A bit of a learning curve. I'm with ya' Elmgrovegnome

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Windows 10 is decent all things considered. Be warned about the Edge browser. It's lightweight and built for speed. If you're trying to do cool internet stuff with it, it may fail you. Basic web browsing, it's good. The app store is a nice feature. I've never used Windows 8 so it's new to me. Windows 10 has some comparability issues with programs designed for 7 or 8, but it's not too bad as long as it isn't for work. I personally like it, but if you're using it with older applications for work you can expect some breakage.

Debacled

Starter
7 works fine, I still don't have a solid reason to upgrade so I wont. The fact they have been trying to incorporate their shitty windows phone interactive crap (started at windows 8) that I have zero interest in makes it plenty easy to stay away.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
win 10 actually uses less HD space than 7. Still I would recommend to people with older computers to install a new hard drive prior to downloading win 10

Psycho_X

Legend
Win 10 is ok with a little adjustment. Windows 8 was so god awful that it's at least a step up from that. I still prefer Win 7 just because it's what I'm used to but they have said they aren't going to support it for much longer so getting win 10 now while it's free is probably a good idea regardless. But I think they pushed win 7 support for another year through July 2018 so you do have a little time... it just won't be free.

Only problem I have had since getting 10 is my computer turns itself on randomly even after I turn it off. I've found some fixes for it but I haven't had the time to implement them. But it happens on both mine and my wife's computer. Also, I need to look up if I can shut off Cortana because even when I turn her off in the task manager she just turns herself back on immediately lol.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I am currently doing the free offer. It is installing as we speak.

Does anyone have anything good or bad to say a out it?

Any tips?

Read about mine and others' adventures about Windows 10 here: http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads/should-i-get-windows-10.37698/

I also had a recent issue with my start menu, but got it fixed @ Best Buy. The guy that fixed it was really cool, he said that most problems with 10 are those that upgraded from 7. Having said that, its only 1 problem. 10 has been working great on my old computer, and even better on my new laptop. Go for it, eventually they are gonna stop rolling out updates for 7.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
10 is nice. If you are a security nut you probably will not like it,it sends out a lot of data to Microsoft, but otherwise it isn't bad. All the kinks are pretty much worked out at this point.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Windows 7 is still my favorite version

We upgraded 3 computers last Summer , 2 laps tops and a desk top , but they were all 3 running Windows 8.1 , which I hated and couldn't get rid of fast enough

Been a year now and Windows 10 has ran pretty good , My wife has a bunch of work related apps on her's and it still runs pretty smooth

There really wasn't much of a learning curve , other then some stuff you're used to is no longer there , Outlook is gone , no more Windows Movie Maker , stuff like that , Windows 10 Photo Viewer sucks , but a lot of that you can change if you dig into the settings far enough

I still like using the old Internet Explorer as my default web browser , it's still in there , you just have to go digging for it

I really like Windows 10 now that I changed as much stuff as I can back to Windows 7......................LOL

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Windows 10 took a little adjusting to. And now that they seem to have fixed the lost internet connection crap after every update, I'm enjoying it. I dont use edge for anything, mainly chrome.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I still like using the old Internet Explorer as my default web browser , it's still in there , you just have to go digging for it

I cringed reading this. IMO Internet Explorer is such a bad web browser. But to each his own lol. Just download Google Chrome.

I also do agree that the best part about windows 10 is that you can get really close to having it look like windows 7.

StevenG-BR

Rookie
From what I've noticed, it doesn't give you the option to shut off Windows updates. Which is super annoying because it wants to update constantly. I don't want any damn updates, every time it happens it seems the update screws up something small.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Okay I gave it a few weeks and I say it is a big improvement. I wouldn't go back.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I had to roll back to Windows 8.1.

After the latest update, my video card drivers would freeze during gameplay and I'd have to force restart. I went through all of the channels I could think of to update my drivers, even going as far as to uninstall them and reinstall them a few times. Nothing worked, so I had to throw everything onto my external hard drive and do a fresh install of windows from the boot disk. I'm so sick and tired of WIndows, you don't even know. I'm leaning towards Linux, but there are just some Windows-based programs that I can't part with right now.

Side note, my computer runs much faster and much cooler now that I'm back on 8.1.

Go figure.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I'm leaning towards Linux

Used Linux for a couple of years. Liked not needing an antivirus program and some of the other bloat that comes with Windows. But Linux is for those who are more computer savvy than I am.