Williams' are out as coaches per Glazer

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Speeps

Starter
Lesson said:
Speeps said:
I'm looking for a promotion from within approach.

A name to watch: Jim Washburn.

Waufle wouldn't be let loose for Washburn as both seem to be have a good review in NFL circles. Plus, Washburn doesn't have any experience at DC unlike someone like Cecil.
Oh, I don't expect Waufle to be let loose. Perhaps a promotion for him to DC with Washburn coming in as DLC or vice versa. Washburn knows Fisher's system very well given their longevity together. I wouldn't be surprised if Washburn was added in some capacity.

stano00

UDFA
You do not want Cecil as DC. I watched every game he coached while DC at Tenn and it was not pretty. Check the stats. If you think NE gave us a beating this year, check out what they did to Tenn when Cecil was DC in 2009. He is a good position coach, but he is not DC material.

Lesson

Oh, really?
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
stano00 said:
You do not want Cecil as DC. I watched every game he coached while DC at Tenn and it was not pretty. Check the stats. If you think NE gave us a beating this year, check out what they did to Tenn when Cecil was DC in 2009. He is a good position coach, but he is not DC material.

I do realize Cecil created a bad situation in Tennessee and the whole giving the finger incident, but I also think that Cecil knows Fisher's scheme better than anyone else on the staff currently.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Lesson said:
stano00 said:

I do realize Cecil created a bad situation in Tennessee and the whole giving the finger incident, but I also think that Cecil knows Fisher's scheme better than anyone else on the staff currently.
I wouldn't be on board with Cecil as DC. Need someone bigger than that. A bigger personality.

Lesson

Oh, really?
X said:
Lesson said:
stano00 said:

I wouldn't be on board with Cecil as DC. Need someone bigger than that. A bigger personality.

What type of people would you have in mind?

I was just thinking more of a person who has been involved with Fisher at some point, but now that I think about it, Schottenheimer had no previous experience with Fisher until this season.

stano00

UDFA
I do realize Cecil created a bad situation in Tennessee and the whole giving the finger incident, but I also think that Cecil knows Fisher's scheme better than anyone else on the staff currently.[/quote]

While I agree that he probably does know the scheme better than anyone, I feel he is not one for making game plans and in-game adjustments. When he was in Tenn, I got the impression he may have had too many concussions from tackling with his head while a Packer. :ww:

I was hoping for a Greg Williams/Fisher reunion, but it appears that's not happening. My favorite Titans defenses were with that combination. I remember Kearse terrorizing OT's off the edge and Bishop & Robertson flying around in the secondary patrolling the middle. Those were Tenns most aggressive defenses. Fisher's later defenses were more conservative under Schwartz & Cecil

I would love to see Horton or Lovie come onboard. What about Jack Del Rio? There is a USC connection there.

Lesson

Oh, really?
I'd love to see Lovie come here, but I think he may have a HC opportunity lying ahead of him as well as Horton.

I would doubt that Del Rio would leave Denver considering he's been with Fox previously in Carolina, but that doesn't mean it's not possible. In all honesty, I have no clue what to expect in who the new DC will be as I was under the impression that Fisher named people he had previous experience with as coordinators, but the hiring of Schottenheimer seems to have broken that mold.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
One thing is for sure; Fisher didn't wake up yesterday and decide to fire his DC.

He's got a plan.

I believe it will NOT be an internal promotion.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
CGI_Ram said:
One thing is for sure; Fisher didn't wake up yesterday and decide to fire his DC.

He's got a plan.

I believe it will NOT be an internal promotion.
That's true. From the sound of it, it's like Fisher and his assistants were walking around mumbling, "Jeez, that guy's a dick. Can't wait until the season's over so we can can his abrasive ass."

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Yeah, blake just looks like a prick. Curious to see how this pans out. I agree that Fish has a plan and isn't making knee jerk decisions on this...

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Faceplant said:
Yeah, blake just looks like a prick. Curious to see how this pans out. I agree that Fish has a plan and isn't making knee jerk decisions on this...

LOL. I always thought the same. Just tried not to judge the kat on looks.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EyB1hBbffs[/youtube]

Published on Jan 3, 2013
ESPN.com NFC West blogger Mike Sando discusses the Rams' decision to part ways with defensive coordinator Gregg Williams and his son, Blake, who served as linebackers coach.

stano00

UDFA
If Fisher decides to stay in-house, I hope it's Dave McGinnis, though it almost seems like a demotion from Asst HC. Another experienced name out there in a similar situation like McGinnis is Ray Rhodes w/ Cleveland. I have liked some of his previous DC work. For some intriguing up & comers with HC experience there's Raheem Morris w/ Wash & Mike Singletary w/ Minn. I wouldn't mind seeing Ken Norton get a shot somewhere, even though he's a Bruin, he did coach at USC

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Please no to Mike the pants dropper.

There are a number of guys available and some would be intriguing but still I wonder if Fish just picks one of the two DCs he already has.

lasvegasrams

Rookie
I like Mike Singeltary. If I am not mistaken, he was a teammate of fisher's and although he isnt a good head coach, i believe he is a top tier DC.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
lasvegasrams said:
I like Mike Singeltary. If I am not mistaken, he was a teammate of fisher's and although he isnt a good head coach, i believe he is a top tier DC.
I dunno. He's a little crazy in the head if you ask me. Maybe he's chilled out a little, but the whole pants dropping, giant wooden-cross wearing, crazy eyes, player-arguing thing just doesn't do it for me.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
X said:
lasvegasrams said:
I dunno. He's a little crazy in the head if you ask me. Maybe he's chilled out a little, but the whole pants dropping, giant wooden-cross wearing, crazy eyes, player-arguing thing just doesn't do it for me.

That's my view on the guy. I don't think we need that bag o' nuts pacing the sideline. After his stint in SF, he fell back down to LB coach instead of DC. He's also a "special assistant to the HC" - whatever the hell that means. He was a hell of a player. I just don't see him as coaching material.

So.... I guess that means he's as good as signed - yeah?

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
RamFan503 said:
X said:
lasvegasrams said:

That's my view on the guy. I don't think we need that bag o' nuts pacing the sideline. After his stint in SF, he fell back down to LB coach instead of DC. He's also a "special assistant to the HC" - whatever the hell that means. He was a hell of a player. I just don't see him as coaching material.

So.... I guess that means he's as good as signed - yeah?

Hey, I couldn't agree more with both X and 503 on The pants dropper. Our coaching staff brings serious stability to our young team right now. Mike ain't completely right in the head.

He's one of those guys who could play the game better than almost anybody,,, but he can't understand why everybody else can't do and see what he did on the field. Not a good thing for a "coach".

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
**cough cough** while I have no particular insider Rams Park dish..if I had to go with a fantasy football approach I see Cecil being promoted to DC w/ The Fish overseeing. :hehe:

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I sort of wonder when the boy genious fell from grace, if it was after the NE game where we got toasted by Brady, or the Minn. game where we were devastated by AP.
Those were probably our two worst defensive outings and I wonder if the shizzle hit the fan over how those things happened.
Or maybe it was the GB game.

Doubtless when a defense gets smacked around there will be differences on how things "should " have been played ,gotta wonder, I suppose eventually the stuff will come out , but I can imagine the circular firing squad was called to arms after those or even during those games .

As far as Singletary goes, I was once on his bandwagon, and you can't argue with the talent level he turned over to Harbaugh on the defensive side of the ball, so ardunno, Madden probably loves the guy.