Williams' are out as coaches per Glazer

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Wonder who we'll be bringing in to replace them. We'll need another LB coach as well. If Reid does a total overhaul in Arizona Ray Horton may be available, but I don't know about the scheme.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
bluecoconuts said:
Wonder who we'll be bringing in to replace them. We'll need another LB coach as well. If Reid does a total overhaul in Arizona Ray Horton may be available, but I don't know about the scheme.
Isn't Ray up for some head coaching gigs? I would like that though.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Lovie Lovie Smith, y'all.

Prolly not though. Likely promote from within.

RamsNation

Rookie
Whatever we do I want some continuity going from season to season.If we hire from outside I want someone who will run the same system mostly.We don't need another overhaul and defensive players learning an entire new system again.Reunite Lovie with St Louis make it happen Fish!!!!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
libertadrocks said:
Mike Silver:
Blake Williams, according to the source, was fired in part because of a brusque, tactless style in dealing with colleagues and players
Wow. I guess his dad is out of the question.

Sent via Tapatalk2.

PhxRam

Why would they promote from within when they could have given someone the job at the start of the season?

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Let's do something crazy and poach Kevin Greene from Green Bay. Hell, I'd like to see what our LB corps could do under his tutelage. He already knows Fisher, I think they did a couple years together back in the LA days.

Lesson

Oh, really?
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
libertadrocks said:
Mike Silver:
Blake Williams, according to the source, was fired in part because of a brusque, tactless style in dealing with colleagues and players

Well damn.

I don't want to see much change, if any, but if Blake was like that to colleagues and players, then it's probably for the best.

nittany ram

Rookie
Warner4Prez said:
Let's do something crazy and poach Kevin Greene from Green Bay. Hell, I'd like to see what our LB corps could do under his tutelage. He already knows Fisher, I think they did a couple years together back in the LA days.

If I have my timing right, Fisher was hired by Chuck Knox as DC when he replaced John Robinson as HC. This was Chuck's second go-around with the Rams. Robinson's DC was Fritz Shurmur who ran a 3-4 defense and the personnel the Rams had at the time was suited for that scheme. Nobody thrived in the 3-4 more than Kevin Greene who had about a gazillion sacks at OLB under Shurmur.

Fisher was a protege of Buddy Ryan and installed the 46 defense. As part of that, he made Kevin Greene a DE. At 240 some pounds, Kevin was too undersized for this defense and wasn't very effective although he gave it all he had and never complained. However, he left for greener pastures (pun intended) and the Rams continued to struggle until Chuck II was fired.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
nittany ram said:
Warner4Prez said:

If I have my timing right, Fisher was hired by Chuck Knox as DC when he replaced John Robinson as HC. This was Chuck's second go-around with the Rams. Robinson's DC was Fritz Shurmur who ran a 3-4 defense and the personnel the Rams had at the time was suited for that scheme. Nobody thrived in the 3-4 more than Kevin Greene who had about a gazillion sacks at OLB under Shurmur.

Fisher was a protege of Buddy Ryan and installed the 46 defense. As part of that, he made Kevin Greene a DE. At 240 some pounds, Kevin was too undersized for this defense and wasn't very effective although he gave it all he had and never complained. However, he left for greener pastures (pun intended) and the Rams continued to struggle until Chuck II was fired.

Actually, Fisher was hired during Robinson's final year -- 1991, where he was supposed to be groomed as Robinson's heir apparent for HC.

But you nailed the rest of the story -- Fisher's scheme was a bad fit for the personnel.

Can't remember whether Shurmur's departure after 1990 was voluntary or not (I'm thinking NOT) -- I only remember that it was a bad season (5-11...but they DID beat the 9ers in SF); and 1991 was even worse (3-13).

nittany ram

Rookie
HeiseNBerg said:
Actually, Fisher was hired during Robinson's final year -- 1991, where he was supposed to be groomed as Robinson's heir apparent for HC.

Ah yes. Thanks for the correction. I remember I was excited about the prospect of Fisher and his 46. Especially after reading an interview in "Ramspages" magazine where he said he wouldn't be as aggressive (ie reckless) with it as Buddy Ryan was.

But the defense doesn't work as well when you have Karl Wilson and Frank Stams instead of Richard Dent and Mike Singletary.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Waufle for DC.

Not sure there's anyone outside I really would want to bring in.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
X said:
Lovie Lovie Smith, y'all.

Prolly not though. Likely promote from within.
I would be totally in favor of Smith coming back. However, I think he would probably hold out for head-coaching position. I don't think Lovie Smith should've been fired.

Speeps

Starter
I'm looking for a promotion from within approach.

A name to watch: Jim Washburn.

Lesson

Oh, really?
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Speeps said:
I'm looking for a promotion from within approach.

A name to watch: Jim Washburn.

Waufle wouldn't be let loose for Washburn as both seem to be have a good review in NFL circles. Plus, Washburn doesn't have any experience at DC unlike someone like Cecil.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Kinda glad they went this way. I don't think the stench of bounty gate would have been good for the team.

No idea on who they should pick, Fisher seemed to do okay getting his assistants last year. Someone earlier brought up Horton. That intrigues me, but will never happen.