Will Witherspoon: Kenny Britt will be a star with Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend

By Chris Wesseling

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...herspoon-kenny-britt-will-be-a-star-with-rams

The St. Louis Rams took turns showering praise on free-agent acquisition Kenny Britt during offseason practices.

It should come as no surprise, then, that former Rams linebacker Will Witherspoon believes Britt will finally produce his long-awaited breakout season in 2014.

"I think the addition of Kenny Britt will be a huge boost for the Rams offense," Witherspoon told SiriusXM NFL Radio on Thursday. "I expect him to blossom into a star."

Witherspoon no longer plays for the Rams. He didn't witness Britt's offseason work. It's worth noting, though, that Witherspoon played with Britt in Tennessee and presumably holds close ties to coach Jeff Fisher after following him from Nashville to St. Louis.

Early in Britt's career, he showed glimpses of All-Pro potential. Since undergoing multiple knee operations, though, his game film has been among the least impressive in the league.

Still just 25 years old, Britt is certainly capable of breathing life into his NFL career if his speed and cutting ability have truly returned to 2010 levels. His fresh start with the Rams will be one of the stories for fantasy footballers to track in training camp and preseason action next month.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
If Britt does break out, a lot of GMs will be kicking themselves. It's pretty easy to outbid a "prove it" contract.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
He's a longshot, no doubt about it, which is why he was willing to sign for what he did.

Between the litany of off the field issues, the knee injury, mental miscues on the field, and falling out of favor with the Titans, there are a lot of reasons to be skeptical about a Kenny Britt revival.

That said, if you look at those first two games from 2011, you will see a receiver who could be one of the most talented in the NFL. At 25, he still has time and the ability to be that guy again. He just needs to be healthy and focused.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Sure hope Quick is seeing all this Britt hype and wants to show everyone that this is HIS starting job for the taking, and Britt will have to settle for the no. 2 role.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

By Chris Wesseling

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...herspoon-kenny-britt-will-be-a-star-with-rams

The St. Louis Rams took turns showering praise on free-agent acquisition Kenny Britt during offseason practices.

It should come as no surprise, then, that former Rams linebacker Will Witherspoon believes Britt will finally produce his long-awaited breakout season in 2014.

"I think the addition of Kenny Britt will be a huge boost for the Rams offense," Witherspoon told SiriusXM NFL Radio on Thursday. "I expect him to blossom into a star."

Witherspoon no longer plays for the Rams. He didn't witness Britt's offseason work. It's worth noting, though, that Witherspoon played with Britt in Tennessee and presumably holds close ties to coach Jeff Fisher after following him from Nashville to St. Louis.

Early in Britt's career, he showed glimpses of All-Pro potential. Since undergoing multiple knee operations, though, his game film has been among the least impressive in the league.

Still just 25 years old, Britt is certainly capable of breathing life into his NFL career if his speed and cutting ability have truly returned to 2010 levels. His fresh start with the Rams will be one of the stories for fantasy footballers to track in training camp and preseason action next month.

His other film wasn't that impressive either.

FRO

Legend
I like that he is on the one year prove it contract. Britt has everything to play for in 2014. If he doesn't perform then oh well we didn't waste much.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Oh so sceptical.

Didn't they play together on the Titans?
Yes. And it is a deal where it will be in EVERYONE's best interest if he succeeds. I think they are going to use him and also Quick to make it so it will be VERY difficult to discount either big receiver when they step onto the field. And I wouldn't be tremendously surprised to see them both on the field along with Cook in some cases. That's a really tough combination to defend against.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Oh so sceptical.

Didn't they play together on the Titans?

Exactly what I was thinking.

He didn't like his coach, his best QB was Hasselbeck (I nice jump from Locker), and he played in a system that featured giving the ball to Johnson by a good stretch. What's changed?

He loves his coach, he has a stud QB in Bradford (I'd even say Hill is a better pocket passer than Locker), and our offense isn't hindered to just giving the ball to Stacy (we have the players to do whatever we want.) It's a drastically better change of scenery for Britt. I too think he will shine if he can stay healthy. He's in his prime at 25.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay

He always thought that Britt would be a star, he was just never asked until he went on SiriusXM radio. Doesn't mean he's right, but he's seen Britt as much as basically anybody and would know about Britt's abilities. He's not even on the Rams, and he has nothing to gain from saying this. The Rams aren't going to sign him because he said one good thing about Britt. Makes me believe Witherspoon was genuine when he said this.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Sure hope Quick is seeing all this Britt hype and wants to show everyone that this is HIS starting job for the taking, and Britt will have to settle for the no. 2 role.

Here's hoping Britt & Quick start together...

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
Most teams stayed away because of his off the field issues
Fisher isnt most teams. he's got a knack for taking in problem players and straightening them out real fast. Wasnt it Jenkins last year or his rookie year that had an incident or broke curfew and Fisher sat him for a game? Anyways it wont be character issues that hinder him in St. Louis. hes either got his legs back or not cus I think bradford will be giving him plenty of opportunities this year to prove what hes got

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Fisher isnt most teams. he's got a knack for taking in problem players and straightening them out real fast. Wasnt it Jenkins last year or his rookie year that had an incident or broke curfew and Fisher sat him for a game? Anyways it wont be character issues that hinder him in St. Louis. hes either got his legs back or not cus I think bradford will be giving him plenty of opportunities this year to prove what hes got
Though he's not perfect in that regard... see former TNA World Tag Team Champion Pacman Jones.

Although Jones is a special case.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Though he's not perfect in that regard... see former TNA World Tag Team Champion Pacman Jones.

Although Jones is a special case.

And... I think he's (Fisher) only got so much capacity to manage problem players.

Thankfully Jenkins and Ogletree have kept their eye on the prize... But I worry about taking on much more.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
And... I think he's (Fisher) only got so much capacity to manage problem players.

Thankfully Jenkins and Ogletree have kept their eye on the prize... But I worry about taking on much more.
Oh ye, of little faith! :sneaky:(y););)

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

Yeah, he and Chris Givens. The SF tie (that's really a win).

I still won't let the OTA hype (or even training camp hype) get to me. I read it every year with a player or 2 and come September crickets. Maybe he'll finally be the one.