Will Witherspoon for weak side/nickle backer ?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Injury history always lengthy. Way Fisher practices veteran players would probably help him . did they spend time together in Tennessee? I'm on my phone or else I'd check that out.

Thoughts?

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
No thanks. I'd rather go younger and have our coaches do their thing. We all saw what happened last year when we tried to plug holes with veterans.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yeah, he just turned 32 a few months ago and wasn't that fast to begin with. Good solid tackler though. I just think they would want more speed on the edges. Particularly with all these nancy boy run-first QBs in the division now.

Speeps

Starter
Let's not revisit Will Witherspoon. He was decent when he was here, but I think we need to go younger.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
Will came from carolina as an OLB, we played him at Mike. He was too small there, id rather draft an olb, will could be serviceable tho at right price

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I was of the opinion that Dunbar is a excellent Weak Side OLB'er with JL in the middle. Rams use more Nickle packages with the base defense with the extra CB. Fisher loves to use 5 & 6 DB's in place of LB'ers. 22 yr old Sammy Brown may yet turn into a Strong Side backer for us yet. I would like to think that Snead & Fisher would give veteran SSLB'er Haggan another go around in 2013. 23 yr old Jabara Williams a 2011 7th rd pick was resigned to a 2013 Ram contract as a possible reserve @ WSLB'er. Will's knees are just about gone.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
BonifayRam said:
I was of the opinion that Dunbar is a excellent Weak Side OLB'er with JL in the middle. Rams use more Nickle packages with the base defense with the extra CB. Fisher loves to use 5 & 6 DB's in place of LB'ers. 22 yr old Sammy Brown may yet turn into a Strong Side backer for us yet. I would like to think that Snead & Fisher would give veteran SSLB'er Haggan another go around in 2013. 23 yr old Jabara Williams a 2011 7th rd pick was resigned to a 2013 Ram contract as a possible reserve @ WSLB'er. Will's knees are just about gone.
All true. Me likey this post.

nighttrain

Legend
BonifayRam said:
i can see us drafting an OLB, but not early, this meaning the first three rounds..
train

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
nighttrain said:
BonifayRam said:
i can see us drafting an OLB, but not early, this meaning the first three rounds..
train

I have been seeing mocks that have us going high @ OSLB'er....One of the reason I do not see Snead & Fisher going so hard is the combo of JL & J.Dunbar is very good. Those two starting posts are sealed down. The SSLB'er post was played by three players in 2012-McIntosh, Haggan & Hull with Sammy Brown added to the 53 man roster after the bye. Sammy Brown is a perfect sized SSLB'er. Sammy also has a very good history on sacks in college. Sammy is only 22 yrs old. Haggan was Fishers ST captain and played well in the few games he started. His best game came in the first 9ers game where he started over McIntosh. This hard core vet of many seasons Mario Haggan will be 33 yrs old UFA who could return easy to take up his same position once again @ a very low cost cap hit to join the two youngins Brown & Williams. Remember this SSLB post is not a full time post in Fisher's defense.

Question for you guys here on this LB'ing situation ...the 27 yr old Dunbar will be a UFA in 2013? Snead & Fisher want to have the ability to lock up Dunbar like the did the 26 yr old JL. With Demoff advising Snead & Fisher to keep it tight on the cap expenses shave where they can shave thing .....is the part time post of SSLB'er a post that you would be looking to shave off some costs at?

I maybe can see S&F drafting OSLB'ers in 2013 but in two ways: (1) I beleiev they go into the draft hoping to land one on Sunday [third day] of the draft rounds 4 thru 7th that would be when they will be looking for a OSLB'ers. The other way #(2) If an excellent sideline to sideline cover LB'er drops late on the second day of the draft 2nd & 3rd rds & has great value. The drafting results will then join the signed under contract roster Outside LB'ing cadre of Dunbar, Sam Brown & J.Williams plus the probable resigning of a seasoned Mario Haggan.

Resolving the probable major holes @ both Safety positions just takes priority over the LB'ing core at this time if I am wrong please set me right ASAP.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
BonifayRam said:

I love dunbar but he was exposed in coverage at times this year. I'm sure he'll improving on it, but I'd like to have someone for intermediate passing downs.

I watched some film on ww last night though and u r probably right about his knees. No where near the speed he use to.

F. Mulder

Starter
I want them to get an OLB who can run like the wind. I don't care if he is situational as a pass rusher or certain coverages but we need OLB speed. I like Dunbar and thought JL had an off year, but neither are fast to me. I want someone who can cover a RB out of the backfield, someone who can capture a Wilson or Kapernicker, someone who can actually cover a TE, someone who can blitz off the edge. Geeze I guess I am asking for a high-picked LBer after all.

Safety-for sure
OL-high pick or developmental with what we already have?
WR-somewhere between rd 1-3
LB-Yes please
RB-IF Jackson is gone
TE?-2-headed monster. If looking for a blocking TE keep what you have. I thought Mulligan and McNeil where ok and would like to see more of Harkey.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
BonifayRam said:
Resolving the probable major holes @ both Safety positions just takes priority over the LB'ing core at this time if I am wrong please set me right ASAP.

Pretty solid take as far as I'm concerned.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
^I agree, but it's still a hole and a weakness. Signing a Will Witherspoon wouldn't break the bank. Like I said though, I don't think he possess the coverage skills he use to.