Will they be relevant in 2014??

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

duckhunter

Starter
Rams offensive line is a huge question mark next year. Long with the ACL/MCL, Williams, Wells, Dahl, Saffold gone or come back? WR might still be an issue. Sam coming off an ACL, What will happen in the secondary? I mean I hope we have a damn good offseason because I guess right now I'm not all that optimistic for next season. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Don't worry about the OLine. :stirthepot:

We'll cut one or two (now known) overpaid mistakes to free up some cap space. Then we'll overpay for a questionable FA and pick up one or two low cost journeymen and invest at least a 4th rounder for the future.

I'm sure Snead is now combing the waiver wire for prospects.

By next year we'll have a new squad just like the previous 10 years of crappy OLines and like all those years be lucky to finish with one starter from the beginning of the season.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I've been banging the 2014 drum since the draft in April. Not so sure now. Might take 1 more year simply for some of the guys to grow.

RE: the draft this time round. I think we've got to look and see "what gives us the chance to be better straight away". If we draft Watkins and Matthews we are better instantly.

Maybe, maybe not. But think of this. We played 9 games with Clemens who is average at best. We still finished 7-9. That's while losing some very winnable games and not playing all that great in a handful of others. Imagine 16 games with Sam and a decent running game and defense to support him. IMO, there is no way we don't win 9-10 games this year if Sam doesn't go down.

Maybe I'm a homer but next year, with a few more pieces and hopefully a more consistent start and finish we do better. And I suspect we won't have the same, very difficult schedule. I'm hopeful though.

RFIP

Maybe, maybe not. But think of this. We played 9 games with Clemens who is average at best. We still finished 7-9. That's while losing some very winnable games and not playing all that great in a handful of others. Imagine 16 games with Sam and a decent running game and defense to support him. IMO, there is no way we don't win 9-10 games this year if Sam doesn't go down.

Maybe I'm a homer but next year, with a few more pieces and hopefully a more consistent start and finish we do better. And I suspect we won't have the same, very difficult schedule. I'm hopeful though.

You are correct. With a healthy Bradford the Rams would have been a factor in this years playoffs meaning they'd have been in the running with 10 wins.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Hi everyone first post,

This offseason is key. A lot of questions for the O-line. Lack of durability and talent at guard. I agree with trying to keep Saffold at G and draft another OG and OT with the top picks. I wouldn't mind Clowney, but wouldn't take Matthews at #2...maybe in a trade down. I like Robinson from Auburn more. We need something better to go against those D-lines in the west to do anything. I also wish we can get a new OC and draft a QB to back up and/or test Bradford. I'm tired of the "next year" talk.

Great first post!

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
If they (The rams) use that line, fans will go ballistic.

You are right....but I think 2015 is the year.
Too many things, especially on the O line, to fix for one off season.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They can be. Build up the OL, get Sam healthy and add a few pieces/depth in the secondary.

If Sam plays like he did this year, we can be a contender. Just need to have a good off-season. And I'd be happy if we replaced Walton.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hi everyone first post,

This offseason is key. A lot of questions for the O-line. Lack of durability and talent at guard. I agree with trying to keep Saffold at G and draft another OG and OT with the top picks. I wouldn't mind Clowney, but wouldn't take Matthews at #2...maybe in a trade down. I like Robinson from Auburn more. We need something better to go against those D-lines in the west to do anything. I also wish we can get a new OC and draft a QB to back up and/or test Bradford. I'm tired of the "next year" talk.

Great first post, Gordito. I'm struggling with Robinson vs. Matthews. Matthews is ridiculously technically sound with the athleticism, strength and mental acuity to be great. He seems like he'll be his father...a versatile technician that will have a long productive career. However, Robinson has freakish power. He's strong as an ox and bullies whoever he run blocks. Still, his pass protection is raw and unrefined, he's a bit raw as a run blocker and I'm worried he's not very assignment sound.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Fisher started with Quinn, JL, CLong, and Bradford. And he had 5 first round picks. There is no excuse not to make the playoffs after 3 years.

This team will have more talent than other playoff teams in 2014. No excuses.

I'd love to say "well we have this in our favour, we have that in our favour" but let's be honest, we'll win the games the refs decide we should win and lose the games the refs decide we should lose.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Hi everyone first post,

I agree with your assessment of the needs of our Rams. Robinson would be a great addition. Welcome to ROD!

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Don't worry about the OLine. :stirthepot:

We'll cut one or two (now known) overpaid mistakes to free up some cap space. Then we'll overpay for a questionable FA and pick up one or two low cost journeymen and invest at least a 4th rounder for the future.

I'm sure Snead is now combing the waiver wire for prospects.

By next year we'll have a new squad just like the previous 10 years of crappy OLines and like all those years be lucky to finish with one starter from the beginning of the season.
Bitter, party of 1!

duckhunter

Starter
Bitter, party of 1!

Must of struck a sore spot. My comment is hyperbole.

I just like to see them do more in the draft than a 5 on Rok two years ago and a 4 last year.

Going the FA route often is like putting a band-aide on the problem.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Must of struck a sore spot. My comment is hyperbole.

I just like to see them do more in the draft than a 5 on Rok two years ago and a 4 last year.

Going the FA route often is like putting a band-aide on the problem.
I agree! FA pick ups don't build a team. 2 or 3 o lineman picked in the next draft would suit me well. Thought you might have been stirring the pot!

duckhunter

Starter
I agree! FA pick ups don't build a team. 2 or 3 o lineman picked in the next draft would suit me well. Thought you might have been stirring the pot!

Rhino,

When am I not sticking a pin in someone or slipping a thorn under someone's seat. :nau:

It sure do get old having to hope for a lasting remake that turns the corner on our OLine.

Duck

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I always wanted to see the slot machine that they must have at Rams park, with all of the heads of o-linemen that sets the starting line-up after the first injury.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Friend if we bury are head in the sand and think we can go forward with 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense we are kidding our self. Yes address the OL in FA and the draft but to not draft the one difference maker in Watkins would be criminal. Fortunately after today's latest ridiculous performance by all wr's not named Bailey, that won't be an issue.

Next year Quick will either get it or be cut, serving notice to Givens that he is next.

Watkins, Austin and Bailey with Cook, Kendricks and Harkey at TE to balance the field and actually allow Stacy somewhere to run against these NFC west defenses.

Bradford will be 30/10, 4k, 95+QBR.

The D needs a FS and that will be Byrd, the big FA signing. Finn will restructure and make peanuts after stealing money these last 2 years, Jenkins will have to be moved to the slot corner because he's totally out matched against any physical wr on the outside.

So, RFIP.... let me ask you what exactly Quick is supposed to do differently, when he continues to get open, and the backup QB just cannot get him the ball?

Yesterday was a microcosm of the entire second half of the season, regarding Quick and the WRs in general. He runs an intermediate route, 16-18 yards downfield, is WIDE OPEN, and our QB, finally decides to throw him the ball. and wait,, he sails it 8 feet over his head!

And you want to say that Quick is the problem here? Watch the games since Bradford went down. Watch Quick running open DOWN FIELD and then notice that Clemens refuses to look in his direction. People want to take shots at Bradford and call him "Cap't Check down", but he is a gunslinger compared to what Clemens became the last month of the season.

This season is a complete wash when it comes to the WRs, because they just weren't part of the equation with Clemens at the helm.

RFIP

So, RFIP.... let me ask you what exactly Quick is supposed to do differently, when he continues to get open, and the backup QB just cannot get him the ball?

Yesterday was a microcosm of the entire second half of the season, regarding Quick and the WRs in general. He runs an intermediate route, 16-18 yards downfield, is WIDE OPEN, and our QB, finally decides to throw him the ball. and wait,, he sails it 8 feet over his head!

And you want to say that Quick is the problem here? Watch the games since Bradford went down. Watch Quick running open DOWN FIELD and then notice that Clemens refuses to look in his direction. People want to take shots at Bradford and call him "Cap't Check down", but he is a gunslinger compared to what Clemens became the last month of the season.

This season is a complete wash when it comes to the WRs, because they just weren't part of the equation with Clemens at the helm.

First of all, I was praying Quick would be the guy and he simply is not. Might he someday be a decent wr? perhaps, but this team simply can not bank on that any longer and thankfully I believe they will not.

yes I saw him open yesterday but I also saw him open in Carolina when he caught one deep ball, drop a first down and then dropped a certain TD. This after he blew a hot read in Houston.

He looks like Tarzan but...well you know the rest.

I look at Bailey, a guy who made the most of very limited opportunites, the guy catches everything and fights for more!

Quick?

Givens?

Pass.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I will be happy to see what our WRs do with a healthy O line Sam Bradford for a year. They were obviously hamstrung by playing with a guy who could not throw accurately down field. I love Clemens guts and the way he tried but he just does not have the tools to get it done like Sam.

Bradford and these scrubs were on course for some pretty good numbers before he went down. As far as I am concerned his injury was the result of our O line not getting the job done. If they kept him clean and he could camp out like Brady does then the O line is earning their keep.

It is time to quit patching the O line together and build a unit that can win the battle in the trenches every week.

Alan

Legend
Rams and Gators crying in his beer:
I'd love to say "well we have this in our favour, we have that in our favour" but let's be honest, we'll win the games the refs decide we should win and lose the games the refs decide we should lose.

duckhunter to our beloved resident curmudgeon:
You're wicked, man. :wink:

Misspent youth?