Will they be relevant in 2014??

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Regardless of how bad the last game was are they going to be over the hump next year? After 15 wins in 5 years they have now put up 7 wins in back to back years and this year played 9 games that KC started instead of Bradford.

2 more 1st round picks coming and a core group that CAN be good. Is it enough to get there is 2014?

They have a glaring need IMO in the O line. That was never more evident than today. Saffold is not an NFL caliber left tackle. William and Smith are scrubs barely better than practice squad players. Long had a few decent games but I did not think he lived up to the contract but then the Rams are rebuilding you have to pay extra for veteran players to come into this mess. Wells and Dahl are injured and past their prime but can you replace 4 or 5 guys in one year????

It is time to make a commitment to the base unit of the offense. Everything starts there, pass pro, running the ball, keeping Sam healthy. This unit has to be a priority now.

RFIP

Friend if we bury are head in the sand and think we can go forward with 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense we are kidding our self. Yes address the OL in FA and the draft but to not draft the one difference maker in Watkins would be criminal. Fortunately after today's latest ridiculous performance by all wr's not named Bailey, that won't be an issue.

Next year Quick will either get it or be cut, serving notice to Givens that he is next.

Watkins, Austin and Bailey with Cook, Kendricks and Harkey at TE to balance the field and actually allow Stacy somewhere to run against these NFC west defenses.

Bradford will be 30/10, 4k, 95+QBR.

The D needs a FS and that will be Byrd, the big FA signing. Finn will restructure and make peanuts after stealing money these last 2 years, Jenkins will have to be moved to the slot corner because he's totally out matched against any physical wr on the outside.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Friend if we bury are head in the sand and think we can go forward with 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense we are kidding our self. Yes address the OL in FA and the draft but to not draft the one difference maker in Watkins would be criminal. Fortunately after today's latest ridiculous performance by all wr's not named Bailey, that won't be an issue.

Next year Quick will either get it or be cut, serving notice to Givens that he is next.

Watkins, Austin and Bailey with Cook, Kendricks and Harkey at TE to balance the field and actually allow Stacy somewhere to run against these NFC west defenses.

Bradford will be 30/10, 4k, 95+QBR.

The D needs a FS and that will be Byrd, the big FA signing. Finn will restructure and make peanuts after stealing money these last 2 years, Jenkins will have to be moved to the slot corner because he's totally out matched against any physical wr on the outside.

Hey RFIP, please tell me how the Seahawks are SB favorites with their WR corp?

Here, I'll tell you. You build a great D and a strong OL and running game. Then you add a quality QB.

Well, the Rams have a quality QB right? So what's missing? They need impact players on the OL and D. Then they need Sam to bring out the best in his receiving corps.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
They have a glaring need IMO in the O line. That was never more evident than today. Saffold is not an NFL caliber left tackle. William and Smith are scrubs barely better than practice squad players. Long had a few decent games but I did not think he lived up to the contract but then the Rams are rebuilding you have to pay extra for veteran players to come into this mess. Wells and Dahl are injured and past their prime but can you replace 4 or 5 guys in one year????

It is time to make a commitment to the base unit of the offense. Everything starts there, pass pro, running the ball, keeping Sam healthy. This unit has to be a priority now.

This is so true. Every time we've had an injury on the line and Saffold has gone from guard to tackle and Williams come in to play guard we've struggled to run the ball.

Alan

Legend
This game has done nothing but strengthen my views about the draft. CB,OL,FS, OLB and back up QB.

jsimcox

Pro Bowler
Name
Jamie
Long had a few decent games but I did not think he lived up to the contract
I think Long has been excellent this year, PFF have him rated as one of the top LT's in the league and i'm fairly sure(not 100%) they have him as the #1 run blocking LT in the league.

I think it speaks volumes how bad the line was today without him in there.

A55VA6

Legend
Next year is still a question mark.. It'll probably be 2015 where we might have a shot.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
This game has done nothing but strengthen my views about the draft. CB,OL,FS, OLB and back up QB.

I agree with you Al. Not sure about the priority of those positions. It depends on the quality of the players for sure. If they don't trade down from #2, they need to get a great player not just a good one.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I've been saying for a while 2014 is our year to make a huge leap.
That said, the OL does concern me a bit. Long getting hurt, Saffold, you never know..
I think going D early in the draft is a mistake. The bottom line is our D is in pretty good shape. I do think we need to draft a S and a CB (or two). But if we don't come away with an impact tackle or guard I will be disappointed. At the very least we need some quality depth. At this point you have to consider Long and Saffold questionable or injury prone.
I'm confident with Bradford. If there is anyway to get Matthews and Watkins I would be thrilled.

Alan

Legend
max with the words of truth:
I agree with you Al. Not sure about the priority of those positions. It depends on the quality of the players for sure. If they don't trade down from #2, they need to get a great player not just a good one.
Yep, order isn't important but quality is. I dounbt we'll be getting great players to fill every hole but we need as many as we can get. Can't afford to screw up on our 2nd and/or 3rd round picks this year.

PhxRam

Didn't they say they thought next year would be the year they expected to make the playoffs?

yeah 2014 not 2015..

At some point fans are REALLY going to be irate.

A turnstile of coaches all have come in and asked for one thing.

Patience..

You can't expect your fans to be patient much longer.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I've been saying for a while 2014 is our year to make a huge leap.
That said, the OL does concern me a bit. Long getting hurt, Saffold, you never know..
I think going D early in the draft is a mistake. The bottom line is our D is in pretty good shape. I do think we need to draft a S and a CB (or two). But if we don't come away with an impact tackle or guard I will be disappointed. At the very least we need some quality depth. At this point you have to consider Long and Saffold questionable or injury prone.
I'm confident with Bradford. If there is anyway to get Matthews and Watkins I would be thrilled.

I've been banging the 2014 drum since the draft in April. Not so sure now. Might take 1 more year simply for some of the guys to grow.

RE: the draft this time round. I think we've got to look and see "what gives us the chance to be better straight away". If we draft Watkins and Matthews we are better instantly.

A55VA6

Legend
Rams offensive line is a huge question mark next year. Long with the ACL/MCL, Williams, Wells, Dahl, Saffold gone or come back? WR might still be an issue. Sam coming off an ACL, What will happen in the secondary? I mean I hope we have a damn good offseason because I guess right now I'm not all that optimistic for next season. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Gordito

UDFA
Hi everyone first post,

This offseason is key. A lot of questions for the O-line. Lack of durability and talent at guard. I agree with trying to keep Saffold at G and draft another OG and OT with the top picks. I wouldn't mind Clowney, but wouldn't take Matthews at #2...maybe in a trade down. I like Robinson from Auburn more. We need something better to go against those D-lines in the west to do anything. I also wish we can get a new OC and draft a QB to back up and/or test Bradford. I'm tired of the "next year" talk.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Hi everyone first post,

This offseason is key. A lot of questions for the O-line. Lack of durability and talent at guard. I agree with trying to keep Saffold at G and draft another OG and OT with the top picks. I wouldn't mind Clowney, but wouldn't take Matthews at #2...maybe in a trade down. I like Robinson from Auburn more. We need something better to go against those D-lines in the west to do anything. I also wish we can get a new OC and draft a QB to back up and/or test Bradford. I'm tired of the "next year" talk.
Welcome aboard!

RFIP

Hey RFIP, please tell me how the Seahawks are SB favorites with their WR corp?

Here, I'll tell you. You build a great D and a strong OL and running game. Then you add a quality QB.

Well, the Rams have a quality QB right? So what's missing? They need impact players on the OL and D. Then they need Sam to bring out the best in his receiving corps.

They are SB favorites ONLY if they play at home. And I will tell you this, I still don't think they make it. Their offense is a mess and SF will stuff them in the PO's if they meet, bank it.

I'll take Kap with Crabtree, Davis and Boldin anyday.

In truth I hope they both lose.

SC-Ram78

Rookie
Hi everyone first post,

Welcome to ROD. I agree with most everything you say. But I think schotty has earned himself another year. A qb in the 3rd or 4th round will be very important for us just in case we ever run into another injury like this to Bradford