Will the NFL fine Brady for questionable slide?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The NFL is serious about player safety and is leaving no stone unturned when it comes to possible fines and discipline, even if they come at the expense of the game’s biggest stars.

According to ESPN’s Ed Werder, the league plans to review New England Patriots QB Tom Brady’s slide in the AFC Championship Game. It appeared, on the play, that he may have intentionally kicked Ed Reed of the Baltimore Ravens.

It appeared that the 35-year-old signal-caller—hardly known for his scrambling ability—was trying to protect himself after picking up a short gain late in the second quarter.

Brady’s right leg flew up into the air as he was going to the ground at the Baltimore 7-yard line, making contact with the charging safety. Fortunately, Reed jumped to avoid any serious contact on the play.

While the 11-year vet wasn’t injured, Roger Goodell’s strong emphasis on player safety and the public outcry surrounding the controversial slide have likely pushed the league to look into this.

The NFL is quick to dole out disciplinary action for helmet-to-helmet hits and other violations, but head injuries aren’t the sole concern of the league office. If an investigation turns up that Brady was maliciously flailing his leg toward Reed, it wouldn’t be a surprise to see a fine come down the pipeline.

Goodell has dipped into players' wallets for much less, and according to Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk, there are guidelines in place for this specific offense. As he wrote, "For striking, kicking, or kneeing an opponent, the minimum for a first offense is $7,875…Remember, these are minimum fines. The league office can go higher, if it chooses."

It’ll be interesting to see if the league chooses to punish Brady, one of the most popular players in professional football, for his questionable slide.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1496 ... ?hpt=hp_c2

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
brady-ninja-1-20-13.gif

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Questionable slide my ass. I'll hold my breath for the league to do anything to their supermodel boy toy. But is there a single person out there that thinks there was no attempt to kick Reed? And it was obvious that Reed was letting up as he knew he was not allowed to hit a QB when the QB slides. You can't touch the QB when he goes into that slide (or any other time when the QB's name is Brady). What little tommi did was worse than kicking. When Reed pulled up like that, IMO he was essentially a defenseless player. That fuck didn't just put his leg up, he tried to kick him in an area of the leg that is pretty easy to injure when in that position. Just more reason to hate that franchise.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
"He put his leg up there to protect himself...."

Yeah. Sure he did. :roll:

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
This is a no-brainer. Even if it was accidental, so is every blow to the head on every QB. He deserves a fine.

Plus, the timing of it is perfect for the NFL to show they aren't playing favorites.

It sure looked like he was aiming that leg at the defender. Although it might have been a defensive move to protect himself from a hit, it's still a wussy move. Take the hit like every other QB.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I think this video is very educational considering the BitchAssNess that is brady.

WARNING ... potentially offensive language

Anyway,,, BitchAssNess, Learn more here....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsRpozZk4fs[/youtube]

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
LOL... BitchAssNess...

:lmao:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
He will be fined.

I prefer a 1 year ban, however.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
CGI_Ram said:
He will be fined.

I prefer a 1 year ban, however.

Yeah - let's see his bitchassness come back after THAT.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Angry Ram said:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/23/league-fines-tom-brady-10000-for-ed-reed-kick/

10K.

Which is more than the minimum (about $7500).

Chump change for him.
lol.

"Tin man sans oil can slide."

That's pretty funny.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Angry Ram said:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/23/league-fines-tom-brady-10000-for-ed-reed-kick/

10K.

Chump change for him.
I'm surprised the league fined Bradt, considering he's their favorite boy toy of all time. I wish instead of the fine that the league made Brady go on air and admit that he cheated in the Super Bowl.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Sorry guys I seperate my dislike for Brady from my opinion about this occurance, IMO he was protecting himself.

The playoffs have a history of defensive players intentionally "taking one for the team" by taking a penalty in order to disable the other teams QB.
Warner, Rich Gannon, Carson Palmer, are guys who defenses intentionally tried to disable , those are a few that come to mind without ANY effort, if I was Brady, I might well have done the same thing.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Thordaddy said:
Sorry guys I seperate my dislike for Brady from my opinion about this occurance, IMO he was protecting himself.

The playoffs have a history of defensive players intentionally "taking one for the team" by taking a penalty in order to disable the other teams QB.
Warner, Rich Gannon, Carson Palmer, are guys who defenses intentionally tried to disable , those are a few that come to mind without ANY effort, if I was Brady, I might well have done the same thing.
Welp, the league didn't see it that way.

:idk:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
brokeu91 said:
Angry Ram said:

10K.

Chump change for him.
I'm surprised the league fined Bradt, considering he's their favorite boy toy of all time. I wish instead of the fine that the league made Brady go on air and admit that he cheated in the Super Bowl.

I'd pay 10K for that!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
This probably belongs in its own thread, but for comparison's sake....

Frank Gore fined $10,500 for socks violation

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/frank-gore ... --nfl.html

SANTA CLARA, Calif. (AP) -- Frank Gore will pay closer attention to his socks for the Super Bowl.

The San Francisco 49ers running back was fined $10,500 by the NFL on Wednesday after he wore his socks too low in Sunday's NFC championship game at Atlanta, a uniform violation. It marked the second time he was fined this season.

''Yeah, I'll be cool. It's all good,'' Gore said Wednesday. ''I was wrong. Next time I'll do better.''

Gore says he was so focused on winning the game and getting the 49ers back to a Super Bowl at last that he didn't give his uniform all the attention he should have.

''When you're playing, you don't think about it,'' Gore said. ''You're trying to win.''

He did his part on the field, though. Gore ran for touchdowns of 5 and 9 yards in the Niners' 28-24 comeback victory over the Falcons, putting his team in position to capture the franchise's sixth title on Feb. 3 at the Superdome in New Orleans.

The 29-year-old Gore, the 49ers' career leader in yards rushing (8,839) and touchdowns rushing (51), carried 218 times during the regular season for 1,214 yards and eight TDs. He earned his sixth 1,000-yard season - most in franchise history and second among active players behind the Rams' Steven Jackson.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Thordaddy said:

I don't see how you could possibly see that as a protective act. Reed had CLEARLY pulled up. It was a blatant attempt to take out an opposing players leg at its most vulnerable point. And Gore got a higher fine for his socks. Unreal.....

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Faceplant said:
Thordaddy said:

I don't see how you could possibly see that as a protective act. Reed had CLEARLY pulled up. It was a blatant attempt to take out an opposing players leg at its most vulnerable point. And Gore got a higher fine for his socks. Unreal.....
Agree. Even if it *started* as an act of protection, it certainly didn't need to continue as one.
I pulled this off another board. Protecting himself? Yeah, sorry, but I just don't see any evidence of that at all.

OahuRam said:
1. Brady extends knee to kick Reed's knee:

2. Brady flexes knee getting ready for 2nd kick:

3. Brady extends knee again pushing on Reed's knee. Intentional both times.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Faceplant said:
Thordaddy said:

OK I understand you don't see it the same way, but the first time the Ravens made it to the Super Bowl they got there because Tony Siragusa took Rich Gannon out with a dirty hit, whether Brady was protecting himself in HIS estimation is a question only he can answer.

I won't turn my back on the overwhelming evidence that QB's are targeted and the reward for taking one out in that situation is so dramatically escalated that they (QBs ) are at times OVERPROTECTIVE which is to me understandable.

Before I judge that play I put Sam Bradford in my mind and ask what my perspective on it would be if WE were in that situation ,I'm not going to fool myself that I wouldn't be subjective about it.