Will the grass field in the Coliseum negate some of our team speed?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kmramsfan

Old School Ram Fan
Name
Keith
Love the mud on the other guys, but this is how clean I want Goff to look at the end of the game.

roman gabriel 2.jpg

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
There is a difference in the turf compared to grass, even the new stuff, and it is noticeable in the ability to stop/start and change direction. Other than that, yeah, it's whatever.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I just hope the artificial field engineers have the installation process improved from when the ED had the new turf installed. The Rams had a lot of leg injuries that year.

I assume the new stadium will be turf. I don't want to see someone's knee torn up by getting a cleat dragging on the soft, newly laid rubber pellets.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
About as much as it does the others teams speed

RamzFanz

Damnit
With the "new" field turf surfaces used now across the league the impact is negligible. These aren't the "Astro Turf" fields of the olden days where it was like playing on a carpet.

These newer artificial surfaces are more "grasslike" than anything. The blades of turf are as long as most grass fields. And with all the rubber pellets used it actually plays slower in most cases. If you've ever been on one you'd understand. In fact, many of the natural grass fields May in fact play "faster" than the Field Turf surfaces.

A new avatar... you a Quick believer?

That may sway my hopes.

I would love to hear what you think of Goff.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Playing surface is more mental than anything I believe. This is where the equipment guy earns his keep. Put the players in the right cleats and keep it off their minds. If you enter a game thinking about the turf, you are behind the eight ball.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Playing surface is more mental than anything I believe. This is where the equipment guy earns his keep. Put the players in the right cleats and keep it off their minds. If you enter a game thinking about the turf, you are behind the eight ball.
That same article that states turfs are a little quicker, also goes on to state the type of shoes is as big difference as the field itself. And that will certainly be key.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
While I understand the "it affects both teams" concept, but the confidence of "having an advantage" is a strong motivator. But Coach O is correct. (great to hear from you Coach....). They have changed turf very much over the years. But you still hear the concept of "fast track" or "quick track" used in regards to some fields. But is the field in the coliseum a "fast track" or a "lucky to be alive" track (i.e. Santa Clara......one of the newest fields but one of the worst....).
The "fast" or "slow" track thing is more accompanied to the hardness of the ground on most natural fields. Things like moisture content in the soil, how established the turf is and types of grass used can be a factor as well. In Field Turf fields ... the length of the blades and how compact the sand/rubber media is plays a part. but like coach says. .. .it's not the difference as it was back when the Rams had the GSOT days. That was basically carpet on concrete. That was why it was so fast.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
The reason I love to play on "grass blade" turf is because there's absolutely no uneven surface (no divots or pot holes), and the footing is 100% perfect. No slipping. I also love that the painted sidelines and yardage lines are very clear and evident. Yep, turf rules!

Hey, see my picture to the left from 39 years ago? Now that's decades of Ram Fan dedication! Would be funny if I still had that sweat shirt.