Will the Falcons be the Seahawks South?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://mmqb.si.com/2015/04/10/atlanta-falcons-identity-dan-quinn-nfl/

quinn.jpg

John Bazemore/AP

What Will the Falcons Be?
New Atlanta coach Dan Quinn has roots all over the football landscape, so identifying what kind of team to expect is not as simple as saying the Falcons will be Seahawks South. Plus thoughts on the draft, including one QB to watch
By Greg A. Bedard

It would be easy to say that the Falcons, after hiring former Seahawks defensive coordinator Dan Quinn as head coach, eventually will become a replica of Seattle’s smothering defense.

That’s not reality. Besides the obvious personnel differences (Richard Sherman and Earl Thomas aren’t walking through that door in Flowery Branch, Ga.), there’s the difference of experience when it comes to Quinn.

One of the reasons why I thought Quinn was a better head coach candidate than most is that he’s been around and sampled different defensive schemes and coaching styles.

As a young coach, Quinn spent most of his time under Joe Gardi at Hofstra. There, Quinn crossed paths with Raheem Morris, a close friend who was one of Quinn’s first hires with the Falcons. Morris is most comfortable with the Tampa 2 defense he used in nine years with the Buccaneers.

In the NFL, Quinn counts Steve Mariucci (49ers), Nick Saban (Dolphins), Eric Mangini (Jets) and Pete Carroll (Seahawks) as his major influences. Even though Quinn had the most success with the Seahawks, and Carroll taught him the most, the influence of the Bill Belichick tree should not be discounted and makes him a good fit to work with two former Patriots personnel lieutenants (Thomas Dimitroff and Scott Pioli).

Saban and Mangini are direct Belichick descendants, and the defensive coordinator Quinn hired with the Falcons, Richard Smith, has been closely aligned with Saban—they worked together in Houston, and Smith was on Saban’s staff with Dolphins.

That’s not to say the Falcons will be the Patriots South (that’s already happening with the Texans). Far from it. The tenet the Belichick tree and Carroll share: fit your scheme to your talent. Quinn definitely subscribes to that.

“It goes back to getting to know our team the best. And then once we find unique stuff they have and how to feature them, then that will play a big part in the scheme,” Quinn said. “So I don’t just want to say, ‘We’re going to do exactly everything the same,’ because it’s not the same so I want to make sure I get to know our own players as well as we can and try to feature the things they do best.”

One big hurdle in becoming like the Seahawks is the free safety position. Seattle didn’t become a top 10 unit until Thomas played at his All-Pro level in second season, 2011.

“Well, yeah, there’s only one Earl so…” Quinn said, admitting the difficulty in finding another Thomas. “He’s such a unique player. But I think the free safety position is a big one because you have to have the range to be able to play over the top on the deep balls to either side when you play a lot of three deep or man to man. And then I think one of the things that goes unspoken about Earl is his ability to tackle. He’s a terrific tackler. So sometimes as a free safety, when the ball does break or get outside, he’s the one that can eliminate it from becoming an explosive play. That position, pass rushers and the corners when you play a lot of middle field defense, those are the ones that are the most critical.”

And that’s the first problem with the Falcons transforming into the Seahawks: a big hole at free safety. As of now, Atlanta only has 2014 third-round pick Dezmen Southward at the position. It certainly will be a position the Falcons look to address in the draft, but the talent is underwhelming in this class.

On the other side of the ball, the focus will be on the Falcons’ offensive line, which has struggled mightily the past two seasons with play and injuries. The progress of left tackle Jake Matthews, the sixth overall pick last year, will be monitored closely. He’s returning from Lisfranc surgery.

“I can’t wait to get started with these guys and a number of them have been banged up,” Quinn said. “They’ve had a great offseason in terms of the work and effort that they put in to get healthy. Jake’s one that I’m particularly excited about. It’s going to be a challenge for all these guys. For us in terms of implementing the scheme, we’re going to be a wide zone running football team, so it’s important for the linemen to get in and get indoctrinated into the system.”

Quinn was named Falcons coach Feb. 2. This past Monday was the first time he could (voluntarily) have his players in the building, a span of 63 days. There’s much work to be done for a team that was 10-22 the past two seasons.

“It’s challenging only because you want to get started so quickly but one nice part is it’s the same for everybody,” Quinn said. “I would have loved to have gotten started already, no doubt about it.”

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Its a different ball game when you have a weak pass rush.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
No. I don't foresee Atlanta's players being immature loudmouths that need attention. Nor do I think they'll act like babies when they lose games.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
No. I don't foresee Atlanta's players being immature loudmouths that need attention. Nor do I think they'll act like babies when they lose games.

You sure about that? I'm pretty sure that without Jackson, they lost at least twenty percent of their class.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Matty Ice is the other 75%??

Pretty much, yeah. And maybe the other five percent is Jake Matthews + others.

Sorry, don't like any other NFC or AFC team aside from the Rams, and I will never say anything nice about them: just the players.

Angry Ram

You sure about that? I'm pretty sure that without Jackson, they lost at least twenty percent of their class.

Pretty sure no team has players that act like shitchicken players do.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Pretty sure no team has players that act like shitchicken players do.

Um...Blount? Tom Bitchy? Julian Edelman? Rob Gronkowski? Aaron Hernandez? Brandon Browner? And that's not even mentioning their head coach and owner.

How about Kaepernick? Chris Culliver? Perrish Cox? Ray McDonald? Donte Whitner? Michael Crabtree? Their former head coach?

Oh, what about Greg Hardy? Maybe Adrian Peterson? Josh Brent? Rolando McClain? What about their owner?

No team is any worse or better than any other. Except for the Cheatriots, who are all scum.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
It should read, "Will the Falcons be the Reason the Seahawks go South?" And yes - I certainly hope so. I'd love to see that defense look lost this year.

Angry Ram

Um...Blount? Tom Bitchy? Julian Edelman? Rob Gronkowski? Aaron Hernandez? Brandon Browner? And that's not even mentioning their head coach and owner.

How about Kaepernick? Chris Culliver? Perrish Cox? Ray McDonald? Donte Whitner? Michael Crabtree? Their former head coach?

Oh, what about Greg Hardy? Maybe Adrian Peterson? Josh Brent? Rolando McClain? What about their owner?

No team is any worse or better than any other. Except for the Cheatriots, who are all scum.

None of the Patriot players have to scream to the world how they are the best. Like them or not, they don't fight after losing games or act like spoiled children. And no, I don't count Rob Gronkowski having fun being a spoiled child. I'll give you the coach, though.

Colin Kaepernick maybe a douche, true. He and Michael Crabtree are in the same boat. Their acts certainly don't compare to what shitchicken players do. IDK what Chris Culliver did?

Oh, and the rest of the guys you mentioned are either convicted criminals or have severe off field issues. I'm talking on field only.

Memento

Name
Jemma
None of the Patriot players have to scream to the world how they are the best. Like them or not, they don't fight after losing games or act like spoiled children. And no, I don't count Rob Gronkowski having fun being a spoiled child. I'll give you the coach, though.

Colin Kaepernick maybe a douche, true. He and Michael Crabtree are in the same boat. Their acts certainly don't compare to what shitchicken players do. IDK what Chris Culliver did?

Oh, and the rest of the guys you mentioned are either convicted criminals or have severe off field issues. I'm talking on field only.

Chris Culliver is the homophobic and sexist bastard who said before the Super Bowl against the Ravens, "No, we don't got no gay people on the team, they gotta get up out of here if they do...can't be with that sweet stuff. Nah...can't be...in the locker room...nah."

Also known for posting a series of text messages in 2013 with a bunch of demeaning slurs towards women.

I'm adding in both because it really doesn't tell the whole story when you don't include both. You don't see Wilson, Sherman, Graham, Thomas, Chancellor, Wagner, and Bennett committing crimes like DUI manslaughter (Josh Brent), beating women, and attempted murder (Rolando McClain). Hell, you don't see them committing crimes at all. To not factor all of these in just doesn't fly with me. I don't like the Hags either, but every team has at least one player who is worse.

Angry Ram

Chris Culliver is the homophobic and sexist bastard who said before the Super Bowl against the Ravens, "No, we don't got no gay people on the team, they gotta get up out of here if they do...can't be with that sweet stuff. Nah...can't be...in the locker room...nah."

Also known for posting a series of text messages in 2013 with a bunch of demeaning slurs towards women.

I'm adding in both because it really doesn't tell the whole story when you don't include both. You don't see Wilson, Sherman, Graham, Thomas, Chancellor, Wagner, and Bennett committing crimes like DUI manslaughter (Josh Brent), beating women, and attempted murder (Rolando McClain). Hell, you don't see them committing crimes at all. To not factor all of these in just doesn't fly with me. I don't like the Hags either, but every team has at least one player who is worse.

Actually it does. When a player does criminal activity, he's not on the team for a long period of time (usually). They are dealt with pretty quickly. And with Chris Culliver (thank you btw), may be disturbing, but not criminal.

And we're digressing here. My whole point was me saying Falcons won't be the shitchickens of the south b/c they don't act like buffoons on the field. Not criminal activity. It was supposed to be half serious/half me making a funny.

So yeah, fuck the shitchickens.