Will Rams trade down?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamzFanz

Damnit
No matter the pick, I would bet every ROD$ (hint) that the Rams will trade it. There is no value in the top 5 for the Rams with so many teams needing QBs. 6 or later will still give the Rams top players at positions they need and other picks and future value.

I would not be shocked at all at two trades of first round picks.

I highly suspect this is going to be another genius move by Snisher if anyone is willing.

PhxRam

No matter the pick, I would bet every ROD$ (hint) that the Rams will trade it. There is no value in the top 5 for the Rams with so many teams needing QBs. 6 or later will still give the Rams top players at positions they need and other picks and future value.

I highly suspect this is going to be another genius move by Snisher if anyone is willing.

I think all the other GMs should get together and blackball Snead and force him to make the pick.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Probably wouldn't get very good odds on the bet. Snead has been great since arriving in StL and I expect he will continue to work some magic this year too

Memphis Ram

Legend

Lots of teams need a QB, but that doesn't mean that they believe that the guys available in this draft are deemed worthy of such a move. Over the years there have been quite a few QBs selected in the top 12 or so minus a team trading up for them.

Quite frankly, outside of possibly Bridgewater, if I were selecting in the top 12 or so, there isn't a QB in this draft class I'd trade up for on draft day. There isn't a Luck, RGIII or Manning, Rivers, Roethelisberger situation this year.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I think all the other GMs should get together and blackball Snead and force him to make the pick.
Well after the way we owned the Redskins on that trade I'd bet they are grumbling among themselves and not wanting to ne the next guy Snead snookers but even If they make their devils pact they'll never trust each other and one will "chisel" on the cartel

iced

Lots of teams need a QB, but that doesn't mean that they believe that the guys available in this draft are deemed worthy of such a move. Over the years there have been quite a few QBs selected in the top 12 or so minus a team trading up for them.

Quite frankly, outside of possibly Bridgewater, if I were selecting in the top 12 or so, there isn't a QB in this draft class I'd trade up for on draft day. There isn't a Luck, RGIII or Manning, Rivers, Roethelisberger situation this year.

not sold on Blake Bortles or Manziel eh?

Been saying for awhile and I still believe it - our trade partner is in spot 3-6, and I believe Cleveland is going to be that partner..especially if we have the #1 pick, although that'll take some luck to get that pick..

i need to go find a leprechaun and get him wasted

Memphis Ram

Legend
not sold on Blake Bortles or Manziel eh?

Been saying for awhile and I still believe it - our trade partner is in spot 3-6, and I believe Cleveland is going to be that partner..especially if we have the #1 pick, although that'll take some luck to get that pick..

i need to go find a leprechaun and get him wasted

Not enough to trade up for them.

iced

Not enough to trade up for them.

I disagree. I mean I don't think they're all that talented like bridgewater - but I can't see these teams sitting still with their QB's

Jags
Browns
Raiders
Bucs (If Schiano is gone, Glennon is not that great of a QB and the people here in tampa aren't believing he's the franchise either)
Vikings

More importantly - there's only a few good qb's in this draft and i think 3 will be gone in the top 10... there's more qb needy teams than qb's, so it will be a bidding war...and will a team like the vikes or browns want to take a risk at hoping their guy falls to them? I think not.

Last edited by a moderator:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I disagree. I mean I don't think they're all that talented like bridgewater - but I can't see these teams sitting still with their QB's

Jags
Browns
Raiders
Bucs (If Schiano is gone, Glennon is not that great of a QB and the people here in tampa aren't believing he's the franchise either)
Vikings

More importantly - there's only a few good qb's in this draft and i think 3 will be gone in the top 10... there's more qb needy teams than qb's, so it will be a bidding war...and will a team like the vikes or browns want to take a risk at hoping their guy falls to them? I think not.

I agree; one or more of these QB's get positionally inflated into top 5. If you want that prospect; #2 is your only place guaranteed to get him.

Memphis Ram

Legend

Jags
Browns
Raiders
Vikings

I don't agree that there's only a few good QBs in this draft. They may not all be 1st rounders, but there are some other guys who may turn out to be players.

Not making a 1st round move up for one of the guys you mentioned doesn't mean the position can't be addressed. It's too early to gauge the 2013 class, but in 2011 & 2012 we've seen guys like Andy Dalton, Colin Kaepernick, Russell Wilson, Nick Foles get selected outside of the 1st round. Kirk Cousins may be added to that list as a starter next year, too.

During that same period we've watched 1st rounders Brandon Weeden, Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder flop. And nobody traded up for them either.

iced

I don't agree that there's only a few good QBs in this draft. They may not all be 1st rounders, but there are some other guys who may turn out to be players.

Not making a 1st round move up for one of the guys you mentioned doesn't mean the position can't be addressed. While it's too early to gauge the 2013 class, but in 2011 & 2012 we've seen guys like Andy Dalton, Colin Kaepernick, Russell Wilson, Nick Foles get selected outside of the 1st round. Kirk Cousins may be added to that list as a starter next year, too.

During that same period we've watched 1st rounders Brandon Weeden, Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder flop.

And we've all watched Geno Smith, Matt Barkley, Mike Glennon, etc.

There's not a whole lot of starting qb's past 1st or 2nd round, and even the later you go the worse it gets.

Although I wouldn't include Locker after this year - he was having one hell of a year before his injuries kicked in.

Manziel and Bortles are heads and shoulders above those other qb's - and when you look at those teams qb situations (Especially the vikes), I just don't see it...especially when you consider there will be new coaches who will want their guys (Leslie Frazier is supposedly on his way out)

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
But then there are those teams that will want to trade up to get Clowney and Mathews. How many do they number?

PhxRam

Jags
Browns
Raiders
Vikings

If they are not talented then you can rest assured that the Raiders will move up to get them.

Memphis Ram

Legend
But then there are those teams that will want to trade up to get Clowney and Mathews. How many do they number?

I see see someone attempting to move up for Clowney. I just hope that there aren't too many 3-4 teams picking high because Barr and Mack might be more appealing to them.

Matthews? Nobody's trading up that high for Matthews. In this deep OT draft?

Alan

Legend
If someone is going to trade up I think it will only be for a QB or Clowney. In to the top three I mean. There will probably be other trades in round one too.

A55VA6

Legend
It all depends on the player that a team wants at #2 (or wherever the skins pick will be). We'll know more after the combine and all that. Some players' stock just skyrockets around draft time or teams panic for a QB or a top player and make a move. Rams are sitting pretty.

Memphis Ram

Legend
And we've all watched Geno Smith, Matt Barkley, Mike Glennon, etc.

There's not a whole lot of starting qb's past 1st or 2nd round, and even the later you go the worse it gets.

Although I wouldn't include Locker after this year - he was having one hell of a year before his injuries kicked in.

Manziel and Bortles are heads and shoulders above those other qb's - and when you look at those teams qb situations (Especially the vikes), I just don't see it...especially when you consider there will be new coaches who will want their guys (Leslie Frazier is supposedly on his way out)

Via overall draft history you are correct. But, I just named 4-5 starters within the past few drafts. You don't think the other teams in this copycat league didn't notice? And Locker having one hell of a year? Compared to what he's done in the past, perhaps. But, if he was having a helluva year, then so is the ROOKIE Glennon. BTW, from what I've read and heard down here, there are questions as to whether or not the team is going to pick up Locker's option.

Smith hasn't looked good and Barkley hasn't had much of a sample size via his short stint though he didn't look to bad. Besides, they are still rookies. But, there are others that haven't gotten a chance yet.

In the end, our going back in forth is probably an example of not everyone seeing things the same way and I suspect it will be the same with NFL teams.

Sure it only takes one team, but I'm sure Manziel possibly being only 5'11" to 6'0" with questionable arm strength is going to have him downgraded by some teams, if his character concerns doesn't do it first. And some might not fall in love with Bortles enough to move up for him. But, remember about this time last year guys like Matt Barkley and Ryan Nassib were all the rage. They didn't go as high as many expected.

Maybe these guys are pulling my leg, but I've read how some are enamored with Derrick Carr, A.J. McCarron, one of the bigger surprises Logan Thomas of Virginia Tech. All these teams don't use the same draft board and are going to have varying opinions on these guys.

Again, we can hope for the best, but we'd be fooling ourselves into banking on another team being willing to trade up for Manziel or Bortles when there have been MANY highly rated QBs selected in the 1st round over the years that no one traded up for on draft day. RGIII is not in this draft class.

iced

Via overall draft history you are correct. But, I just named 4-5 starters within the past few drafts. You don't think the other teams in this copycat league didn't notice? And Locker having one hell of a year? Compared to what he's done in the past, perhaps. But, if he was having a helluva year, then so is the ROOKIE Glennon. BTW, from what I've read and heard down here, there are questions as to whether or not the team is going to pick up Locker's option.

Smith hasn't looked good and Barkley hasn't had much of a sample size via his short stint though he didn't look to bad. Besides, they are still rookies. But, there are others that haven't gotten a chance yet.

In the end, our going back in forth is probably an example of not everyone seeing things the same way and I suspect it will be the same with NFL teams.

Sure it only takes one team, but I'm sure Manziel possibly being only 5'11" to 6'0" with questionable arm strength is going to have him downgraded by some teams, if his character concerns doesn't do it first. And some might not fall in love with Bortles enough to move up for him. But, remember about this time last year guys like Matt Barkley and Ryan Nassib were all the rage. They didn't go as high as many expected.

Maybe these guys are pulling my leg, but I've read how some are enamored with Derrick Carr, A.J. McCarron, one of the bigger surprises Logan Thomas of Virginia Tech. All these teams don't use the same draft board and are going to have varying opinions on these guys.

Again, we can hope for the best, but we'd be fooling ourselves into banking on another team being willing to trade up for Manziel or Bortles when there have been MANY highly rated QBs selected in the 1st round over the years that no one traded up for on draft day. RGIII is not in this draft class.

Forgot about Carr, he's being pivoted as a first rounder..

And I agree with everything you said here... especially with different teams boards.

How many people expected the Vikings to take christian ponder so high? lol

I do believe we will trade down - it doesn't necessarily have to be for a QB, but that just seems to be the spot teams will fight over and morgage the farm for..and i see some desperate teams, like the vikes, in the top 10.

And no, Glennon is garbage...just pure garbage.. I heard a disturbing stat on the local airwaves the other day...

He is 2 of 38 on third and long...