Will Quinn get more $$$$$$ Than Peterson?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Who's contract will be bigger, Quinn or Peterson?

• Quinn

Votes: 41 85.4%
  • Peterson.

Votes: 7 14.6%

• Total voters

Psycho_X

Legend
Absolutely yes, as several have said here it will be in the Mario Williams range of $100+ million when all is said and done. Especially if he has another year like last year.

Irish

Starter
If they value C Long at 5/$60, it wouldn't be a stretch for Quinn at 6/$100.
Its all about context of the moment. Chris Long got paid because we were horrible, and he was the lone, faint bright spot on an absolutely pathetic team.

Peterson plays a more important position than Quinn, as true shut down corners are a rare breed, while it seems almost every team has a pass rusher, albeit they may not be as good as Quinn.

The point is, its about diminishing returns. You pay Peterson because not only does he stop the other team from scoring points, but his interception returns and punt returns (which, as of now, he is no longer doing) translate into positive points for your team.

Look at the top defensive ends in the league right now:

Watt
Quinn
Wake
Campbell
Jordan
Wilkerson
Hardy
Ware
Houston

Really, almost every team has someone, and some teams have two. You could plug and play any of the top 10-15 into your team's defense (especially the Rams) and there wouldn't be a huge variance in stats, maybe +/- 1.5 sacks and tackles for loss.

Now look at the top cornerbacks:

Sherman
Revis
Peterson
Haden
Vontae Davis
Maybe Desmond Trufant

In today's pass happy NFL where receivers get all the calls, elite, shut down corners are as valuable as any position in the league.

I have no doubt Quinn is gonna get paid, but the relative value won't even be close. Cornerbacks are the most important position on the defense in today's NFL, which is why we see more and more teams "reach" on defensive backs every year in the first round and why we are seeing more and more quality defensive ends taken later in the first round and even in the second round.

Ram_Fan

Rookie
Name
Ken
I am really nervous about Quinn when he's contract is up. I KNOW he is going to require a HUGE contract just to keep him. Hopefully Quinn, and the Rams management come to a compromise that's beneficial for both sides. If not....We will lose him.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I noticed that Quinn made a point to congratulate Peterson on his extension via Instagram. Quinn's post listed the numbers of the Peterson contract as well.

My guess would be that Quinn will receive a higher contract if he piles up the same type of numbers this year as he did last year.

A55VA6

Legend
I'd say Quinn. If he breaks the sack record, there's no doubt in my mind he will be the highest paid defensive player in NFL history. But then again, he could get paid in the next couple months.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
A dominant RDE makes more than a dominant CB. Case in point: Mario Williams, 6 years, $100m, $24.9m guaranteed; Darrelle Revis (his Bucs contract), 6 years, $96m, $16m guaranteed.

And yes, Revis was coming off an ACL injury, but in the same breath you have to remember that Williams hadn't come close to playing up to his potential, had never racked up more than 14 sacks, and was also coming off of two injury-plagued seasons.

What popped for me was Peterson getting the 48m guaranteed. That's freaking Huge. That makes Williams and Revis's guarantees look like chump change.
Agents and players like the flash of the big overall total. But in reality most of those contracts never see the total years or amount. Deals get redone etc. Teams care about the guaranteed amount and how it fits in the salary cap.
The key to resigning Quinn is the amount the Rams guarantee. 50m guaranteed, ,20m in bonus and the rest in flash money for a overall total of 110m should get the job done. 6 years about 14m guaranteed per year avg. against the cap + his bonuses should get the job done. Rams can afford that hit.
Now if Bradford blows the league up the next couple years Quinns contract will be chump change....

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?
So your saying the rams will extend him before the season? Why? They have the 5th year option coming in 2015 so they have the leverage, not Quinn.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The Rams have two years of contact leverage (counting 2014), plus the threat of a franchise tag year 3.

I think he's ripe to sign an extension, and if he wants to cash in early ... It won't be a record breaker.

If he wants to roll the dice, bank on staying healthy over 3 full seasons, he can make more... IF he stays healthy.

Risk... Reward.

I suspect he signs earlier than later.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I noticed that Quinn made a point to congratulate Peterson on his extension via Instagram. Quinn's post listed the numbers of the Peterson contract as well.

My guess would be that Quinn will receive a higher contract if he piles up the same type of numbers this year as he did last year.

Did he use the words "note to self" LOL.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The Rams have two years of contact leverage (counting 2014), plus the threat of a franchise tag year 3.

I think he's ripe to sign an extension, and if he wants to cash in early ... It won't be a record breaker.

If he wants to roll the dice, bank on staying healthy over 3 full seasons, he can make more... IF he stays healthy.

Risk... Reward.

I suspect he signs earlier than later.

I agree I think he'll do it sometime during the season or shortly afterwards, especially if he has a big year.

jjab360

Legend
Its all about context of the moment. Chris Long got paid because we were horrible, and he was the lone, faint bright spot on an absolutely pathetic team.

Peterson plays a more important position than Quinn, as true shut down corners are a rare breed, while it seems almost every team has a pass rusher, albeit they may not be as good as Quinn.

The point is, its about diminishing returns. You pay Peterson because not only does he stop the other team from scoring points, but his interception returns and punt returns (which, as of now, he is no longer doing) translate into positive points for your team.

Look at the top defensive ends in the league right now:

Watt
Quinn
Wake
Campbell
Jordan
Wilkerson
Hardy
Ware
Houston

Really, almost every team has someone, and some teams have two. You could plug and play any of the top 10-15 into your team's defense (especially the Rams) and there wouldn't be a huge variance in stats, maybe +/- 1.5 sacks and tackles for loss.

Now look at the top cornerbacks:

Sherman
Revis
Peterson
Haden
Vontae Davis
Maybe Desmond Trufant

In today's pass happy NFL where receivers get all the calls, elite, shut down corners are as valuable as any position in the league.

I have no doubt Quinn is gonna get paid, but the relative value won't even be close. Cornerbacks are the most important position on the defense in today's NFL, which is why we see more and more teams "reach" on defensive backs every year in the first round and why we are seeing more and more quality defensive ends taken later in the first round and even in the second round.
Disagree completely. Pass rushers are the most important position on defense, are paid accordingly, and Quinn is the best 4-3 DE in the NFL with a pretty big gap between him and the next best. Dude is going to get PAID.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I voted Peterson because Quinn's contract would be scary. At the end of the day...

Open Checkbook

We cannot AFFFORD to lose him, period. Lock him up for life.

Irish

Starter
Disagree completely. Pass rushers are the most important position on defense, are paid accordingly, and Quinn is the best 4-3 DE in the NFL with a pretty big gap between him and the next best. Dude is going to get PAID.

Agree to disagree, but the Seahawks are case and point of what I am saying. If you build a team around a dominant defensive secondary, you stand a better chance against top NFL offenses than teams that build dominant d lines.

The Niners and Broncos not only had much better offenses than the Seahawks last year, but they had better defensive lines as well. The difference in those games? Defensive Secondary.

Lots of teams had better D lines than the Seahawks did last year, but no one had a better secondary, which starts and ends with Sherman on their best receivers. You know what the Seahawks did last year that none of the other teams with a superior defensive line could do?

Win the Super Bowl.

jjab360

Legend
Agree to disagree, but the Seahawks are case and point of what I am saying. If you build a team around a dominant defensive secondary, you stand a better chance against top NFL offenses than teams that build dominant d lines.

The Niners and Broncos not only had much better offenses than the Seahawks last year, but they had better defensive lines as well. The difference in those games? Defensive Secondary.

Lots of teams had better D lines than the Seahawks did last year, but no one had a better secondary, which starts and ends with Sherman on their best receivers. You know what the Seahawks did last year that none of the other teams with a superior defensive line could do?

Win the Super Bowl.
All you have to do to limit a good CB is not throw in his direction. If there's a DE who can consistently pressure the QB and even defeat double teams, your entire gameplan is ruined and you're SOL. Elite pass rusher vs elite CB 10 times out of 10.