Will NFL bring back the ban on pushing the runner?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder

Will NFL bring back the ban on pushing the runner?​

During the 2022 NFL season, we noticed multiple examples of offensive players pulling ball carriers in the open field. The officials failed to call it, even though the officials recently had been reminded of the rule.

As noted at the time, the rule against pushing or pulling the runner changed in 2006, allowing the pushing but banning the pulling.

On a Friday edition of PFT Live the morning after the officials failed to penalize Eagles center Jason Kelce for pulling running back Kenneth Gainwell, Peter King and I pointed out (the video is attached) the distinction between pushing and pulling, arguing that teams should fully and completely embrace the license to shove, which had been hiding in plain sight for 16 years.

Coincidentally, or not, some teams thereafter began to do it more often. None have done it more effectively than the Eagles, who have come up with a tidal-wave formation that routinely sweeps quarterback Jalen Hurts as far as the team needs the ball to go.

“It becomes a football battering ram, an inverted tug-of-war,” we wrote in early November. “Shove the guy into the end zone.”

Again, that is exactly what has happened. And so, instead of pushing happening at the end of a play when a teammate shows up and gives the ball carrier a nudge, it has become a part of short-yardage offensive strategy from the snap.

This raises the question of whether, in the coming wave of tinkering with the rules, the league will consider reverting to the pre-2006 rule that prevented both pushing and pulling.

Steelers defensive lineman Cam Heyward recently has complained about the rule, arguing that the league should go back to banning the pushing of the player with the ball.

The process of looking at potential rule changes begins at the Scouting Combine. After those discussions, the Competition Committee will put together a list of potential rule changes. Time will tell whether the rule against pushing the runner will make the cut — and then whether at least 24 owners will support the change.

We can think of one in particular who will vote against it.

Flint

Pro Bowler
I was talking to a friend after the SB and I asked what he thought the Eagles would do if the Chiefs had scored a td and gave the Eagles another chance. If they managed to score would they have used the scrum to go for 2? It worked every single time they used it, I just wonder if Siriani had the balls to go for it with the title on the line.
I think the league finds a way to ban it, it seems very difficult to defend in a league that already bends over backwards for the offense. It might really cut down on punt returns though, if you can convert 80 or 90 percent of your short yardage you wouldn’t need to.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
The thing that bothers me about the practice is that the QB’s forward progress is often stopped, which should be the end of the play, then he’s pushed forward.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
According to Cam Heyward the Eagles often don’t get set before the snap resulting in a sort of rolling push. It’s like a rolling stop at a stop sign. That would be a big advantage and clearly against the rules. I wonder if the Eagles Rugby player taught them that.

I’d rather not see the push. Yes it works but it’s an unfair advantage to the offense. Special teams players can’t touch or use a lineman to jump up to block a field goal and they aren’t even pushed. Get rid of it.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I hope they stop it but they probably won't until someone's QB gets hurt in the scrum.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I hope they stop it. To my eye, it often looks like ball carriers have their forward progress stopped for a second (or two or tree....).... only for a group of offensive linemen to catch up to the ball carrier and push him forward. Why is that play allowed? The forward progress is stopped and so the play should be blown dead unless I am missing something. Do you get a 1 second or 2 second grace period as a ball carrier, during which time the refs will see if you can start surge forward again? It sure feels like it sometimes.

Imagine being a defensive linemen or linebacker that stops a ball carrier dead in his tracks on the goal-line in open space, very hard to do, holding him there for a good 1-2 seconds, only for a follow up surge to come via the opposing offensive linemen getting into the fray thereafter.... it would be maddening.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I hate seeing MORE penalties, but it's become too much of an advantage for one team that uses it. The rest of the league will soon catch on, but there shouldn't be any guaranteed plays like that either.
I guess you could separate it by making an inadvertent push legal, but an obvious designed push play illegal.
Good luck getting the incompetent and or corrupt refs to call that right though.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ban it if possible, but adopt our own version if it's allowed to continue....