Will Jeff Fisher leave to coach USC?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

A55VA6

Legend
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2013/9/9/4712300/jeff-fisher-lane-kiffin-usc-head-coach" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2013/9/9/4 ... head-coach</a>

Don't want to get too far ahead... but what happens if he leaves? Brian Schottenheimer promoted to HC? Is that the best solution IF Jeff Fisher decided to leave? Keeps the same offense, and gives him his HC job he's always wanted.

Or would a Lovie Smith be a candidate? Hopefully Fisher is here to stay.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Jeff Fisher has never coached college, it's a lot different from the NFL. He's also got no reason to leave a young and upcoming team with St Louis. After years of dealing with a shitty idiotic owner, he's finally got one that fully supports him, which is allowing him to build something special. Why would he walk away now?

It's completely false, don't worry.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Makes zero sense. But... gotta stir the pot no matter if there is anything to it or not.

nighttrain

Legend
A55VA6 said:
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2013/9/9/4712300/jeff-fisher-lane-kiffin-usc-head-coach

Don't want to get too far ahead... but what happens if he leaves? Brian Schottenheimer promoted to HC? Is that the best solution IF Jeff Fisher decided to leave? Keeps the same offense, and gives him his HC job he's always wanted.

why would you start this tread? having a bad day? call someone
train

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I can't imagine Fish leaving the Pros to babysit college players.

Just can't see that as a move he would want.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I doubt it. I'd bet on Jack Del Rio long before Fisher. And I've heard JDR doesn't want to leave the pros. Fisher doesn't seem like the type to me that wants to coach college ball. There are a lot of stupid, little things that you have to deal with in college that I just don't see Fisher wanting to put up with. Seems like a pro coach to me.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Who wants to spend the whole offseason recruiting? I don't see it.

iced

Lol fish makes $7 million a yearr here.. why would he downgrade in talent and pay?

More dumb rumors that dont make any sense , like moving to L.A.

A55VA6

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
nighttrain said:
A55VA6 said:
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2013/9/9/4712300/jeff-fisher-lane-kiffin-usc-head-coach

train
Because it's news. Whenever you hear something like this, rumor or not, it should be discussed. I don't think he'll go. But you have to be prepared just incase...

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
A55VA6 said:
nighttrain said:
A55VA6 said:

train
Because it's news. Whenever you hear something like this, rumor or not, it should be discussed. I don't think he'll go. But you have to be prepared just incase...
Yeah, Vag (lol) isn't trying to troll. I was thinking about posting it when I first read it too, but it's just so far-fetched that I didn't think it was worth debating. The guy's on a 5-year plan here with the objective of winning a Super Bowl. If he decides to demote himself after that, then whatever. But for now it's a non-story.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
While coaching at USC may be a great gig, I pretty sure I read somewhere that coaching the Rams was Fishers dream job. He grew up an LA Rams fan. He has the owner, FO and team that he has always wanted, I dont see Fisher going anywhere. Unless he gets bored winning Lombardi trophies and decides to try the NCAA.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Fisher is here to stay.

Fisher is a big league coach.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We hit the winning lotto numbers with that dude. I hope he's here for as long as he was with the Oilers/Titans. He has made a believer out of me. He doesn't seem the type to "need" to coach boys with big wide eyes. It wouldn't be enough of a challenge for him. He coaches men.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
RamsSince1969 said:
He doesn't seem the type to "need" to coach boys with big wide eyes. It wouldn't be enough of a challenge for him. He coaches men.

It think you nailed it, RS1969.

There IS a difference in these challenges. Some guys have it (Fisher). Some don't (Spurrier).

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
CGI_Ram said:
Fisher is here to stay.

Fisher is a big league coach.
I agree. Besides, he doesn't seem like the type to want to deal college aged crap...immaturity, drama, and recruiting.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
bluecoconuts said:
Jeff Fisher has never coached college, it's a lot different from the NFL. He's also got no reason to leave a young and upcoming team with St Louis. After years of dealing with a crappy idiotic owner, he's finally got one that fully supports him, which is allowing him to build something special. Why would he walk away now?

It's completely false, don't worry.

This.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

WvuIN02

Starter
I think people underestimate the love some people have of their alma maters. I doubt he would go, but its not like USC couldnt pay him the same amount he is making in the pros. College coaches salaries go up astronomically every year, and USC isnt like recruiting to Utah State. Fisher with his NFL ties would be able to handpick the best kids west of Texas.

The thing I think would keep him in St Louis is the fact that he has a team that has the pieces (or is very close to having them) to maybe win a SB.

nighttrain

Legend
X said:
A55VA6 said:
nighttrain said:
A55VA6 said:

train
Yeah, Vag (lol) isn't trying to troll. I was thinking about posting it when I first read it too, but it's just so far-fetched that I didn't think it was worth debating. The guy's on a 5-year plan here with the objective of winning a Super Bowl. If he decides to demote himself after that, then whatever. But for now it's a non-story.

OK, I was a bit harsh, but for Fisher to leave the Rams for SC? Just a dream for Pat Haden
train

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
When this subject college vs. pro I always think back to what Lou Holtz said about it.
Guy walks into Holtz's office when he was coaching the Jets and said " coach I love this game so much,I'd play for free, but if you want me to practice your gonna have to pay me more".
No conclusions ,just wanted to share that