Will Herring Brings Experience to Rams' special teams--Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Will Herring brings experience to Rams' special teams
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...rring-brings-experience-to-rams-special-teams

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- In search of a replacement for recently released linebacker Ray Ray Armstrong, the St. Louis Rams brought four linebackers in for a workout Tuesday.

By the time the workout was through, the Rams decided that veteran Will Herring was the right man for the job.

"He could be plugged in any place on our special teams, our big four because he's done everything," coach Jeff Fisher said. "He's got the respect. He automatically walks in and has the respect of the room because people that played against him know. They know what he's capable of doing. He understands hard work and he's going to prepare himself."

Indeed, Herring's role with the Rams will instantly ask him to step in as a core special teams player, chipping in on all four of the primary units. It's a job he's held every year of his seven seasons in the NFL with stops in Seattle and New Orleans. In 2013, Herring was the Saints' special teams captain and one of their emotional leaders.

"I think that's kind of what they have communicated to me," Herring said. "They want me to come in and help out on the four core special teams. That's kind of what I've made a living doing the last seven years and I'm excited to be where I am and do what I've done."

If needed on defense, Herring should be able to adjust in relatively short order. He played for coordinator Gregg Williams in New Orleans in 2011 and said the terminology has remained mostly the same, though there are some wrinkles he's going to need to learn.

That Herring was even available came only as a result of an odd offseason breakdown in contract talks with the Dallas Cowboys. In March, Herring agreed to a contract to fill a similar role with the Cowboys but Dallas backed out of the deal at the last minute for what they described as an issue with Herring's physical.

Herring was surprised to hear that considering he'd had almost no health issues in a long time.

"There's no hard feelings against them but I got there and they were concerned about a knee injury that happened seven years ago," Herring said. "I haven't missed time since I came back six years ago. I was kind of taken aback. It wasn't meant to be. This is where God had me in store and so I'm just thrilled to be here."