Will Beatty out 5-6 Months for the Giants

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/sto...-giants-tears-pectoral-muscle-lifting-weights

New York Giants left tackle Will Beatty tore his pectoral muscle lifting weights during the team's offseason conditioning program Tuesday and will have surgery to repair the injury, multiple sources confirmed.

Beatty's recovery is estimated at five to six months, which means he's likely to miss at least the first half of the 2015 season.

Beatty has started 46 games in a row for the Giants dating back to 2012. He broke his leg in the final game of the 2013 season but recovered and started all 16 games in 2014. Heading into his seventh NFL season, he was projected to be the one sure thing on the Giants' offensive line in terms of a player set at a specific position.

Now, the Giants will scramble to fill the void. Justin Pugh, who's been the starting right tackle for the past two years, could be a candidate to move to the left side, though the Giants spent much of this offseason trying to figure out a way to move Pugh inside to guard.

They selected Miami tackle Ereck Flowers with the No. 9 overall pick in the draft three weeks ago because they believe he has left tackle potential, but Flowers is seen as a raw prospect who needs significant development, and the Giants weren't even sure yet whether he'd be able to play right tackle immediately, let alone left tackle.

Marshall Newhouse was the tackle the Giants signed in free agency, and guardsJohn Jerry and Geoff Schwartz both have experience at tackle. None of those would be ideal solutions, so the Giants' best hope is that Pugh or Flowers shows enough in the offseason and training camp to give the team confidence they can protect Eli Manning's blind side for the first half of the season while Beatty recovers.

Looks like Barksdale signed a couple of days too soon. This might have gotten him a bigger contract.

Alan

Legend
When the Giants beat the Cheatrioys in the SB to keep them from a perfect season I immediately became a fan of their team so I'm very disappointed to hear this. :(

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Wow, these off season conditioning (lifting primarily)/OTA/training camp injuries (serious injuries) seem to be really increasing over the past few years...Worrisome trend...Don't know why (could be any number of things) or no reason...Sure hope the bug gets away from the Rams this year...Two straight years for Sam, the entire season last year and most of it in 2013..They had their share in the season and add it all up, it was tragic...Seems like percentages say they should get a break soon...It would be nice...

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I would never wish that upon anyone. When football is your only thing in life, getting seriously injured before the season starts just has to be the worst thing. Especially when careers are so short. Wishing him a speedy and successful recovery.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I've said for the last two years now... What stands between us and winning is execution and health.

If we can execute consistently and remain healthy, we have enough to contend for the Super Bowl. That may sound extreme, but if you look at the teams that go, health plays a MAJOR role as does operational consistency.

Alan

Legend
Mackeyser with his take:
I've said for the last two years now... What stands between us and winning is execution and health.

If we can execute consistently and remain healthy, we have enough to contend for the Super Bowl. That may sound extreme, but if you look at the teams that go, health plays a MAJOR role as does operational consistency.
Were that true, wouldn't it mean that we'd be better early in the season before all the injuries took their toll? That's the opposite of what has happened.

If it's the execution that has been holding us back then isn't that just another way of saying they aren't that good? Even if you say they're young and getting better that's not the case yet is it? I think we just aren't a good enough team even without the injuries. I also see us getting there slowly (for me at least) but surely. I've seen an improvement every year.

When I say injuries haven't been the main cause of our downfall I wasn't including SB. That was and still is a killer.

I think success this year depends upon how successful they were in fixing the O-line. I think we have enough depth at most positions to tolerate a normal amount of injuries.

I'm not saying your issues aren't a major contributing factor too because I do.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Looks like a repeat of the Rodger Saffold event a few years back on Nov 18, 2011.

"The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that Rams LT Rodger Saffold suffered a "significant" pectoral injury this week and may need season-ending surgery if it's determined to be a tear.Saffold, who got hurt in the weight room, will presumably undergo a Saturday MRI to determine the severity."

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
That's probably not a good thing.

Certainly not ideal - you would like to have options - but Flowers was drafted as a LT - if it was going to happen, better to happen now than right before week 1. At least this way they have some time to prepare.

SierraRam

Recreational User

Amen^^

The last time our line stayed consistently healthy was in the GSOT days !! Our OL picks were scouted for durability as much as anything else...