Will Bailey's Suspension Impact His Relationship with Teammates

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend

ESPN’s Tim Hasselbeck discusses how Stedman Bailey’s four-game suspension could impact his relationship with his Rams teammates. He also talks about the other Rams WR’s who’ll have to pick up the slack. (2:03)

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I like to look at this like being a parent. I'm disappointed and devastated for the kid at the same time.

He worked so fucking hard and then threw it all away. It was a bone-headed move, and there's nothing left to do but hope whatever he did won't happen again.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
My hope is that they demonstrate their disappointment and the just move the hell on. Y'know... kinda like WE should. :p

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
The tea leaves point to it being weed leaves. While I could care less about whether its right or wrong for weed to be finable, the fact that it is makes what Bailey did stupid and irresponsible. He was in the program already, so he knew he had to tow the line and he disregarded his responsibility to himself and more importantly his team mates.

My guess is that he's in the dog house with Fisher big time and that's his biggest problem right now because Fisher won't trust him for a long time.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I doubt it, we've got a team full of guys with some who are less than reputable themselves or have their own issues going on, they aren't in any position to judge and most of them know that and won't.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Suspension could cost Bailey big chance
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/8402/bailey-suspension-a-big-loss-for-rams

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Entering last weekend's NFL draft, the St. Louis Rams held 12 selections, enough to add players at any position.

True to general manager Les Snead and coach Jeff Fisher's repeated votes of confidence in the current receiving corps, the Rams ignored wideouts.

The lack of additions at receiver was enough to make one wonder how the Rams offense would be more productive and score more points in 2014. But the Rams remained steadfast in their ability to develop the incumbent group.

On Monday afternoon, the Rams revealed in a statement that Stedman Bailey -- the young wideout showing perhaps the most promise at the end of 2013 -- will be suspended for the first four games of the season because of a violation of the league's policy on performance-enhancing substances.

Bailey can still participate in the team's offseason program as well as training camp and preseason games. From there, he can't return to the field until Oct. 6, the day after the team's Week 5 game against Philadelphia. The Rams' early bye week in Week 4 will actually cost Bailey an extra week of work.

But it could also cost him -- and the Rams -- much more.

Bailey's rookie season was mostly unremarkable. He finished with 17 catches for 226 yards and a rushing touchdown, but that doesn't tell the whole story.

After spending most of the season working in a backup role and contributing on special teams, Bailey got some late-season opportunities to work as an outside receiver. He even started two of the final four games.

What's more, Bailey was the rare Rams wideout flashing the ability to get open against man coverage outside the hashmarks. Bailey had 15 catches for 195 yards in the final five games.

If nothing else, the arrow was pointing up for Bailey heading into the 2014 season. He figured to have an expanded role in Year 2 and a very real chance at winning a starting job.

Now, Bailey shouldn't count on that opportunity waiting for him.

Soon after the news of his suspension broke, Bailey tweeted that he will "bounce back," but the reality is he shouldn't have made this mistake in the first place. Opportunities such as the one that sat before Bailey can be fleeting in the NFL. There's no guarantee it will exist by the time he gets back.

As is the case with most suspensions, the Rams were aware of his pending absence long before the draft and still chose to eschew drafting help for the position. That only serves to reinforce that they have faith in the likes of Tavon Austin, Chris Givens, Brian Quick and Kenny Britt. Justin Veltung is also expected back and the Rams added a pair of wideouts as undrafted free agents.

The Rams were already pinning their hopes on the ability of a mostly unproven receiving corps to develop. They've now lost the one receiver who showed signs that he could make good on that promise.

RamzFanz

Damnit
What bothers me most is the Rams have 3 winnable games and a buy before Steady can be back. If we lose games because of his absence, that's going to suck.

It's also the upside in that he will be back for the more difficult stretch.

If it was weed... come on man.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
"Bailey can still participate in the team's offseason program as well as training camp and preseason games. From there, he can't return to the field until Oct. 6, the day after the team's Week 5 game against Philadelphia. The Rams' early bye week in Week 4 will actually cost Bailey an extra week of work."

So he'll get a lot of work with the 2nd/3rd team in the preseason - GOOD. But will be out of football shape when he comes back. So I don't see him being productive until game 6 - BAD.

He'll also have ZERO chemistry with Bradford - UGLY

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
They would not classify weed as a PED would they?

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
"Bailey can still participate in the team's offseason program as well as training camp and preseason games. From there, he can't return to the field until Oct. 6, the day after the team's Week 5 game against Philadelphia. The Rams' early bye week in Week 4 will actually cost Bailey an extra week of work."

So he'll get a lot of work with the 2nd/3rd team in the preseason - GOOD. But will be out of football shape when he comes back. So I don't see him being productive until game 6 - BAD.

He'll also have ZERO chemistry with Bradford - UGLY
Good_trio.jpeg

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Considering most of the league is doing it, I don't think it will effect any relationships with his teammates.

It didn't effect the Seahawks

scifiman

Weed is not a PED. That would fall under the substance abuse policy not PED policy. None of us really know at this point and no one is and can say what it was that caused the failed PED test.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
>>Bailey can still participate in the team's offseason program as well as training camp and preseason games. From there, he can't return to the field until Oct. 6, the day after the team's Week 5 game against Philadelphia. The Rams' early bye week in Week 4 will actually cost Bailey an extra week of work.<<

I believe this is incorrect and that Bailey's return isn't until Oct 13 against SF, a full week later than this article suggests. It's unfortunate that the Rams have a bye week in week 4 which makes this absence and suspension equivalent to 6 weeks.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Nice addition. At some point of my ROD career I'll get to posting images... And maybe even gifs... although I just don't seem to be as creative as some of you guys.
I don't do much of that honestly, but it was a nod to your creative reference to one of my all time favorites, so I couldn't resist.