Wilhalme: What you might have missed in the Rams' 9-6 victory over the Jets

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
What you might have missed in the Rams' 9-6 victory over the New York Jets

Matt Wilhalme

Here are a few things you might have missed from the Rams’ 9-6 win over the New York Jets on Sunday at MetLife Stadium.

FIRST QUARTER

The Rams gave up on the running game after driving to the one-yard line on their first possession. Benny Cunningham fumbled and recovered, but that was enough. L.A. then went to the air on back-to-back passes without getting into the end zone on what would be their best opportunity of the day.

The Rams got Todd Gurley involved early, he just wasn’t very effective in the first half. Gurley carried the ball 10 times for 10 yards, with five of his carries going for zero or negative yards.

The word might be out on emergency quarterback Johnny Hekker. The Jets didn’t budge when the Rams punter ran under center in an effort to get New York to jump offside or call a timeout. The Rams took a delay-of-game penalty, but it didn’t hurt Hekker’s punt, which was downed at the one-yard line.

Jets rookie Robby Anderson had the biggest catch of the day, a 52-yard reception early in the first quarter. The receiver danced along the sideline while battling E.J. Gaines for control of the ball. Jeff Fisher could have challenged the play, but after winning his first challenge to overturn a Jets first- down ruling on third and nine, the Rams coach let it ride and the Jets eventually scored a touchdown.

SECOND QUARTER

Quincy Enunwa’s block might have been more important than Brandon Marshall’s lateral to Bilal Powell on the Jets’ touchdown. Enunwa got outside position on Trumaine Johnson as Marshall flipped the ball out to Powell for an easy score.

Anderson could have recorded his first career touchdown on a 68-yard catch-and-run, but Bryce Petty overthrew him. The only thing that would have been in front of Anderson was open turf.

THIRD QUARTER

The Rams were forced to settle for a go-ahead field goal after Jets cornerback Buster Skrine got away with pass interference on Tavon Austin. Quarterback Case Keenum took a shot deep down the middle to Austin on third and 20, but the receiver fell as he turned to the ball after a “grab” by Skrine. The back judge grabbed at the flag at his waist, but never pulled it out.

FOURTH QUARTER

Gurley’s longest run of the year, 21 yards, was erased by a holding penalty on left tackle Greg Robinson.

matt.wilhalme@latimes.com

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
From 2nd quarter on, Keenum was 9/19 for 51 yards for anyone that missed it...

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
looked like two 3 win teams. We are what we are at this point. I don't expect us to win anymore games from here on out.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
In fairness to GROB the holding call was weak, I felt it should have been a no call, however, it was right where Gurley went by and the official felt for some reason to throw the flag as I do believe GROB is being targeted by the Referees, somewhat justified and some not justified. In this case, it was a weak call IMHO.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
From 2nd quarter on, Keenum was 9/19 for 51 yards for anyone that missed it...

Miss it???? I watched every damn throw!
giphy.gif

Bruce2980

Starter
the play on Tavon was NOT PI Tavon tripped over his own feet.
Skrine had his hand on Tavon Austin's right hip, the exact direction that Tavon was cutting in. Skrine turned Tavon's hip, altering his ability to make the cut. Clearly pass interference, or illegal contact depending upon whether the ball was in the air at the time of the contact. It is illegal for a defender to make contact with a receiver beyond five yards, am happy to be corrected on that if someone is kind enough to show me the rule book section and verbiage. Otherwise I believe it is a five yard contact rule, at least that is what every announcer of every game of every week has said repeatedly. Again I can be wrong on the rule but there was clearly contact, and how a Rams fan didn't see that contact after replay is beyond me, because another ref did see that contact, threw his flag and was over ruled by the closer official.

Maybe Britt wasn't interfered with in the end zone a few weeks ago either?

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
What we might have missed???
Thats easy
The end zone otherwise known as

IMG_2130.png

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Enunwa should have been called for holding on the Jet's scoring play his hands were outside holding Johnson.

Grob should have bulldozed the player on the play he got called for holding. The defender took an inside route all Robinson needed to do was seal him off.

The play calling in the red zone is garbage.

At least it was a win

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
Skrine had his hand on Tavon Austin's right hip, the exact direction that Tavon was cutting in. Skrine turned Tavon's hip, altering his ability to make the cut. Clearly pass interference, or illegal contact depending upon whether the ball was in the air at the time of the contact. It is illegal for a defender to make contact with a receiver beyond five yards, am happy to be corrected on that if someone is kind enough to show me the rule book section and verbiage. Otherwise I believe it is a five yard contact rule, at least that is what every announcer of every game of every week has said repeatedly. Again I can be wrong on the rule but there was clearly contact, and how a Rams fan didn't see that contact after replay is beyond me, because another ref did see that contact, threw his flag and was over ruled by the closer official.

Maybe Britt wasn't interfered with in the end zone a few weeks ago either?

yes that is what the rule says but that's ticky tack crap. every play would be PI if they called it that way. no way Tavon even catches it anyway. and yes the britt one was PI but was way more contact

RamzFanz

Damnit
It is illegal for a defender to make contact with a receiver beyond five yards

yes that is what the rule says but that's ticky tack crap. every play would be PI if they called it that way. no way Tavon even catches it anyway. and yes the britt one was PI but was way more contact

As I recall, a defender or receiver can reach out and touch the other to judge where they are but not grip them, push them, pull them, trap their arms, block their view with their hands, etc. Once the defender is playing the ball, contact between their bodies is allowed. They have equal rights to the ball. I know it's more complicated than this, but that seems to be the gist.

It's not a penalty to just touch them.

RamzFanz

Damnit
As far as what you might have missed:

The opening drive was a TD. Bam Bam, who is awesomeness in cleats, could have reached out or dove to the pylon. It's a rare criticism of him from me.

Then he fumbled or was stripped, but we recovered. Shit happens.

Moving away from him is a bad idea when you need a yard. I would have put in Harkey to lead block for Bam Bam 4 straight times. He will get you that yard and TD. It was the Rams' for the taking.

Bruce2980

Starter
I must have been watching a different game, cause none of that happened to Tavon in the end zone. But yes, I am aware of those exceptions, except for the fact that they were not relevant on that specific play. And don't forget the tipped pass rule. I was mainly referring to the idea that every CB in the league should be taught to grab and rotate the WRs hip on his break to the outside or inside depending upon the DBs position relative to the WR. Cause I really think that is PI, and I don't think there is an exception in the rule book for that, so if there is I want to see it please. And yes those types of plays happen more often in the end zone because PI is less harm than a certain TD is, so WRs are constantly interfered with on there breaks in the end zone. This is something that refs are specifically taught to look for, especially in the end zone.

Bruce2980

Starter
As I recall, a defender or receiver can reach out and touch the other to judge where they are but not grip them, push them, pull them, trap their arms, block their view with their hands, etc. Once the defender is playing the ball, contact between their bodies is allowed. They have equal rights to the ball. I know it's more complicated than this, but that seems to be the gist.

It's not a penalty to just touch them.
But is there an exception to the rule where a defender can grab and rotate the WRs hip when the WR is breaking to the outside of the DB? I think not, if so let me know. And when reading the context of my statement I was specifically referring to grabbing and rotating the WRs hip. So in case that was ambiguous I want to make it clear that I am aware of incidental contact. I am aware that both players have a right to the ball, I am aware that the DB can back into a WR as long as he is looking in the general direction of the pass, I am aware of the tipped pass rule where all WRs can get the F**K knocked out of them anywhere on the field if the pass was touched by a defender. But I am not aware of any exception to PI where a defender can grab the hip of a receiver while that receiver is making his cut. These are professional athletes, they make cuts all day long without falling down, sure it happens once in a great while, but it should be a little suspect when there is a DB near by with his hand on the inside of the WRs hip. Had the jersey been grabbed and stretched that would have been easier to see but also much less effective for the DB in altering the WRs cut.

Bruce2980

Starter
Actually grabbing the hip is much more effective than grabbing the arm or jersey. For one it is much more subtle. Two it is less contact but alters the route just as much or more than a jersey or arm grab. Very good play by the DB to not get called, but I assure you that the DB violated the spirit of the rule by grabbing the hip and altering the body and it's cut. And because of that he probably lost three or four hours of good sleep. He knows in his heart that judgment day is coming:D