Wilbert Montgomery on Torry and Torrey

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Man do I ever love that picture (and play).

Jim Thomas
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/torrey-s-story-working-out-just-fine-with-ravens/article_16721703-20cd-57b4-bb35-c31ee0ba1f1d.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... a1f1d.html</a>

509b9c7ac29f3.preview-620.jpg

NEW ORLEANS • Wilbert Montgomery is running backs coach for Baltimore, but he has taken a particular interest in young Ravens wide receiver Torrey Smith.

It’s an interest inspired by Montgomery’s nine-year stay in St. Louis as a Rams assistant coach under Dick Vermeil and Mike Martz. Not to mention his time watching Torry Holt do his thing on the practice field, and on game day.

“I’m always talking to Torrey because I always compare him with another Torry,” Montgomery said. “I always say, ‘Torry Holt would do this. Torry Holt would catch this ball this way.’ I’m always telling him about our Torry (in St. Louis).”

Montgomery has talked to Smith so much about Holt, some of it’s rubbing off.

“This kid’s got the same work ethic,” Montgomery said. “He works hard. He’ll run every day. He’ll take every rep. The best of Torrey Smith has yet to be seen because he is still growing into his position.”

A second-round draft pick out of Maryland in 2011, Smith is quickly establishing himself as one of the NFL’s best deep threats.

In 2011, Smith set franchise rookie records for receptions (50), reception yards (841) and touchdowns (seven). Five of those seven TDs covered at least 25 yards. His numbers were almost identical this season with 49 catches for 855 yards and eight TDs. His per-catch average of 17.4 was fourth-best in the NFL this season, and his 12 catches of 25 yards-plus tied for seventh best in the league.

Smith, who says he has been timed as fast as 4.26 seconds in the 40-yard dash, hasn’t slowed down in the playoffs with nine catches for 198 yards and two TDs, averaging 22.0 yards a catch.

So does Smith ever grow weary of hearing Montgomery talk to him about Holt?

“I love hearing it because Torry Holt was one of the better receivers to play this game,” Smith said. “Even in our conference in college, that’s a guy I have a lot of respect for.”

Like Smith, Holt played in the Atlantic Coast Conference — at North Carolina State.

Smith says Montgomery has talked to him about how Holt got open, how he ran his routes, how he went about his business in terms of preparation.

“He’s going to get me some film of Holt that I’m gonna watch,” Smith said. “I’m looking forward to that.”

Two years ago under general manager Billy Devaney and coach Steve Spagnuolo, the Rams considered drafting Smith to help their speed-deprived wide receiver corps.

“I didn’t make a pre-draft visit (to St. Louis),” Smith said. “But they came to work me out. Coach (Nolan) Cromwell, the receivers coach, came and I met with him. I liked St. Louis. Their coaching staff, they were nice people. Obviously, they were interested, but they didn’t pick me. ... It comes with the territory.”

In the second round of the 2011 draft, the Rams selected tight end Lance Kendricks at No. 47 overall. Smith went to the Ravens at No. 58 overall.

No problem as far as Smith was concerned. After growing up in Virginia and playing at Maryland, Smith was excited about playing for Baltimore.

“That’s where I wanted to play, so I don’t complain at all,” Smith said.

One of the reasons the Rams passed on Smith in Round 2 was concern about his ability to catch the football.

“I’ve always been able to catch the ball,” Smith said. “It’s just all about being consistent. I’d have concentration lapses at times. And it’s not like when I was in college I had a million drops. I had a few concentration drops that looked bad.”

Smith has worked on eliminating those drops in the NFL, and really all aspects of his technique with the help of Ravens receivers coach Jim Hostler.

“I still have a long ways to go, but I always was confident in myself,” Smith said. “It’s all about training your eyes. I learned that catching is more about your eyes than anything.”

Smith has persevered this season despite a family tragedy in September. His brother, 19-year-old Tevin Jones, died in a motorcycle accident the morning of the Ravens’ Sunday night game against New England in Week 3. Smith decided to play that night, catching six passes for 127 yards and two touchdowns, sparking the team to a 31-30 victory over New England.

“It was unbelievable the way he’s been able to handle it,” Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco said Thursday. “I think all of our teammates did a great job in helping him out and allowing him to lean on us if he needed to. Once the game started, I really wasn’t too worried about him that night.

“I was kind of more worried about him once he went home, and maybe the reality of everything had kind of sunk in. He’s been a great kid since he’s been here and I can’t see a single person in here handling it as well as he did and kind of turning it into a positive thing and making the most out of that situation.”