Wide Receivers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Here is what I have seen thus far in camp. When they line up in 2 sets, They have Bailey and Austin paired together. (Britt and Quick; Givens and Pettis).

More often than not , if Bailey and Austin are on the field together, Cook and Kendricks are out there as well. They have yet to put a 3rd WR out there with Bailey and Austin. So there will be instances where Austin lines up outside.

On the other hand, if Quick and Britt are on the field, they have used Cook and Kendricks in a "big" package. OR they have brought Austin is to replace Kendricks, and they go to a 3 WR set along with Cook. Austin is ALWAYS in the slot in this personnel grouping. They even lined Cook up as the "in line" TE with this grouping.

So assuming they stick with this sort of plan, I agree, Austin will be given opportunities outside, but he will certainly be used in the slot, and if yesterday is any indication, more than not.

FRO

Legend
Despite the packages we see in camp I'm sure they will mix things up.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
For a team that wants to run the ball Quick & Britt would be favored in running downs or the illusion of running the ball. Schotty seems to do things in packages. Different people for different game situations. Depending on what the flow of the game is a starter may get less snaps than a non starter.
It's all about the match ups. Keep the defense guessing.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Despite the packages we see in camp I'm sure they will mix things up.

Which is kinda EXACTLY what I just posted. There will be times when Bailey and Austin are on the field together. Might be Britt with Bailey. You asked me to explain WHY I thought Austin would be in the slot, AND at times line up outside. Did I not do that?

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
What do u guys think will b the best combination 4 us? IMO I think a Britt & Quick lineup would b our best 2 start the season with.
I'm reading from training camp Britt and Quick have spent all their time with the 1s. So hope for some good karma and they explode with that size. Britt Quick Austin with Bailey and Givens mixed. dont forget about Cook, he had some big games

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I get the feeling it's not going to be just two guys. Bailey, Britt (as long as he stays healthy) Quick and obviously Austin are going to get the lions share of snaps. Givens (assuming he is still here) will be a role/depth guy, and of course Pettis will be Pettis (again assuming he is still here)

I am not anticipating it, on either Givens or Pettis's account, but it would not shock me if one of them are released. I do have to mention, I think it is very telling, that Chris Givens has been working with the Special Teams coverage units, something I don't recall happening last year.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
CoachO, any thoughts on Cook's blocking thus far? You mentioned they're putting him inline as a real TE instead of in the slot with Quick, Austin and Britt in 3-WR sets. Does he look more like a guy who's going to give a real effort blocking edge rushers, or is he looking like he'll "Ole" guys/give 'em a quick chip instead of really engaging?

I know it's camp, but I'm hoping he's at least shown a tendency to make an effort in the blocking game.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
CoachO, any thoughts on Cook's blocking thus far? You mentioned they're putting him inline as a real TE instead of in the slot with Quick, Austin and Britt in 3-WR sets. Does he look more like a guy who's going to give a real effort blocking edge rushers, or is he looking like he'll "Ole" guys/give 'em a quick chip instead of really engaging?

I know it's camp, but I'm hoping he's at least shown a tendency to make an effort in the blocking game.

As is the case with the O-linemen, its next to impossible to get a true read without pads. And while I did put that he has lined up "in line", I must put a disclaimer on that, as it has only happened a very small percentage of the time.

In most cases, when they bring Austin in for Kendricks, they tend to have a "4 wide" look, with Cook And Austin in the slots, or a trips look with them lined up on the same side. They did a lot of that sort of thing last year early in camp as well, so let's wait and see.

The other thing they have done plenty of, and should be of no surprise, is utilizing the 3 TE personnel groupings, with Cook in the slot, Kendricks in line and Harkey lined up in the backfield. Then its anyone's guess who the lone WR is. Sometimes its been Britt, others its Austin, or Quick. The bottom line, its obvious they can really mix it up with the personnel packages they put on the field. Which is only going to make it even more interesting for defenses looking to take any one aspect of our game away.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
As is the case with the O-linemen, its next to impossible to get a true read without pads. And while I did put that he has lined up "in line", I must put a disclaimer on that, as it has only happened a very small percentage of the time.

In most cases, when they bring Austin in for Kendricks, they tend to have a "4 wide" look, with Cook And Austin in the slots, or a trips look with them lined up on the same side. They did a lot of that sort of thing last year early in camp as well, so let's wait and see.

The other thing they have done plenty of, and should be of no surprise, is utilizing the 3 TE personnel groupings, with Cook in the slot, Kendricks in line and Harkey lined up in the backfield. Then its anyone's guess who the lone WR is. Sometimes its been Britt, others its Austin, or Quick. The bottom line, its obvious they can really mix it up with the personnel packages they put on the field. Which is only going to make it even more interesting for defenses looking to take any one aspect of our game away.
I do like that 3 TE lineup a lot. Is there much motion being utilized with that set, or at all? I have this set in my imagination with both Kendricks and Harkey tight to the same side of the formation, with Cook in the slot, Stacy in the backfield and Austin/Britt out and no skill players on the weak side. No idea if that's a viable formation or not, but it'd be a fun wrinkle.

Then again, there's very, very many good reasons I'm a fan and not an OC.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I do like that 3 TE lineup a lot. Is there much motion being utilized with that set, or at all? I have this set in my imagination with both Kendricks and Harkey tight to the same side of the formation, with Cook in the slot, Stacy in the backfield and Austin/Britt out and no skill players on the weak side. No idea if that's a viable formation or not, but it'd be a fun wrinkle.

Then again, there's very, very many good reasons I'm a fan and not an OC.
Generally, Kendricks lines up on one side or another, will shift to the opposite side, and take his spot on the LOS. Then Cook will go in motion, usually do get a read on the coverage. (man vs. zone) Harkey ends up in the backfield as a FB.

Not sure if you are to say that Kendricks and Harkey would both be on the LOS side by side, but that is not legal. One would have to be in a wing back position, as to not cover up an eligible receiver.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
Lets hope so. If this offense cannot progress a lot from last year the team is going have issues,

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Lets hope so. If this offense cannot progress a lot from last year the team is going have issues,

This offense, IMO, needs to find a way to score on average 3 more points a game over last year, and they will be fine. Get over the 400 point total for the year, and they will win a lot of games.

Everybody just assumes that means they have to throw the ball to score. I don't care how they do it.

Even with all the issues last year, (losing Bradford, no running game the first month, etc.) they still managed to score 348 points, (21.8) the highest total since 2006. Which was almost 3 PPG better than 2012 ( 299 pts, 18.7 PPG) . Make the same improvement this year and you get to 25 PPG and with this defense, will win a lot of games.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...onType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=false&Submit=Go

Last edited:

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Generally, Kendricks lines up on one side or another, will shift to the opposite side, and take his spot on the LOS. Then Cook will go in motion, usually do get a read on the coverage. (man vs. zone) Harkey ends up in the backfield as a FB.

Not sure if you are to say that Kendricks and Harkey would both be on the LOS side by side, but that is not legal. One would have to be in a wing back position, as to not cover up an eligible receiver.
That's what I was wondering. All I could find in the LOS rules was that "at least 7 players must be on the LOS." That gets into levels of NFL rules more granular than I know.