Why Zac Stacy Will Be This Year's Alfred Morris

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
Why Zac Stacy Will Be This Year's Alfred Morris

BY GARY DAVENPORT (FEATURED COLUMNIST) ON JUNE 5, 2013 7,473 reads 11
Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse more storiesNext
Joe Robbins/Getty Images
In the National Football League it's often as much about opportunity as it is talent. That was the case last year in Washington, where a little-known but hard-running tailback from Florida Atlantic turned his chance to start into over 1,600 yards on the ground.

In 2013 the stage is set for another late draft pick to take the NFL by storm, this time in the Gateway City.

That running back is Zac Stacy of the St. Louis Rams, who has an excellent chance to be the 2013 version of Alfred Morris, who came from nowhere a season ago to finish second in the NFL in rushing.

The similarities between the two ball-carriers are numerous.

For starters, Morris and Stacy are built very similarly. Both backs pack quite a bit into a compact frame. Morris tips the scales at 5'9" and 218 pounds, while Stacy is a virtual carbon copy at 5'8" and 216 pounds.

If you examine the statistics from each player's last season in college, the commonalities continue.

As you can see, Stacy's production from the 2012 season at Vanderbilt is very similar to Morris' numbers from 2011 at FAU. If anything, Stacy's output is the more impressive of the two, as he did his damage in the Southeastern Conference. Comparing the SEC to the Sun Belt is a bit like comparing the NFL to the SEC.

It's not just on paper where one can see a resemblance between the two running backs. Neither player has breakaway speed, nor are they especially elusive in the open field.

However, they make up for that with a trait that can be even more important for players at their position. They're decisive runners. There isn't a lot of time and energy wasted dancing around in the backfield. When Morris and Stacy see a hole they hit it with authority. It may not make for huge gains, but it also doesn't result in getting hauled down for a loss with regularity.

One other similarity between Alfred Morris and Zac Stacy jumps out when viewing the "highlight reels" for the two players.

Oftentimes, the first player to make contact isn't the defender that brings them down. Arm tackles aren't cutting it with this duo.

That isn't to say that there aren't also significant differences between the pair. The biggest, of course, is that Morris has already shown that he can be a productive runner in the National Football League.

Only Adrian Peterson of the Minnesota Vikings gained more yardage on the ground last year than Morris. His, 1,001 yards after contact according to Pro Football Focus (subscription required) ranked third in the league.

Stacy, much less Morris, may get an opportunity early to showcase what he can do. No one expected Morris to be the Redskins' starter last year, but the youngster earned that right with a strong training camp and preseason.

Who will be the Rams' starting running back in 2013?
Isaiah Pead Daryl Richardson Zac Stacy Submit Vote vote to see results
Stacy could easily get that same chance in St, Louis. 2012 starter Steven Jackson is now in Atlanta. Last year's second-round pick, Isaiah Pead, was a massive disappointment as a rookie and is now suspended for the season opener after violating the NFL's substance abuse policy. 2012 seventh-rounder Daryl Richardson was capable a season ago, but he's hardly a world beater.

Just like last year's clouded backfield situation in Washington, the starter's job in St. Louis is wide open.

The hole is there. All Zac Stacy has to do is run through it.

Granted, he may not gain 1,600 yards (that's a tall order), but the talent is there with Zac Stacy. So is the situation.

All he is to do now is use one to take advantage of the other.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
So no talk of Gannaway or Cunningham lately. Don't be surprised if Cunningham gets his nose in the mix.

Ram4life11

Rookie
RamFan503 said:
So no talk of Gannaway or Cunningham lately. Don't be surprised if Cunningham gets his nose in the mix.
U want hear much about Cunningham until training camp, rite now he's strictly rehabbing the knee, the coaches want him to come into training camp 110% ready, they have already said he will be well in the mix of RB's fighting for the top RB spot.

Gannaway on the other hand, I heard he's being looked at as a possible short yardage back, I can't see him getting no more 4-5 carries per game.

Stacy has a chance to have a good year, but I'm sure he want even reach a 1000 yards rushing in comparison to Alfred Morris, Morris was in a great position where there was little depth, and he also was great with zone read and stretch play. So as for Stacey a great rookie year for him would be 700 yards rushing and 4-5 TD's

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I dont care who the starter is, as long as we get good solid production.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
El Juggernauto attempting to sneak in a new avatar:

Was the first one too intimidating? :whome?:

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
albefree69 said:
El Juggernauto attempting to sneak in a new avatar:

Was the first one too intimidating? :whome?:

??? what ???

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
El Juggernauto replied incredulously:

??? what ???

Sorry Tim. I'm disabled due to a vision problem and I could swear you made a change in your avatar. I looked again and I was wrong. :=:)

My mistake. Won't be the last one I make.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
albefree69 said:
El Juggernauto replied incredulously:

??? what ???

Sorry Tim. I'm disabled due to a vision problem and I could swear you made a change in your avatar. I looked again and I was wrong. :=:)

My mistake. Won't be the last one I make.

no, ur right, i did. I had a flaming one, but today i took mine off of an old guitar forum i used to mod for.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
figured this one was personalized

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
El Juggernauto mastering his leg pulling technique:

no, ur right, i did. I had a flaming one, but today i took mine off of an old guitar forum i used to mod for.

You bastardo! :bat: :2funny:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Ram4life11 said:
RamFan503 said:
U want hear much about Cunningham until training camp, rite now he's strictly rehabbing the knee, the coaches want him to come into training camp 110% ready, they have already said he will be well in the mix of RB's fighting for the top RB spot.

Gannaway on the other hand, I heard he's being looked at as a possible short yardage back, I can't see him getting no more 4-5 carries per game.

Stacy has a chance to have a good year, but I'm sure he want even reach a 1000 yards rushing in comparison to Alfred Morris, Morris was in a great position where there was little depth, and he also was great with zone read and stretch play. So as for Stacey a great rookie year for him would be 700 yards rushing and 4-5 TD's

Good point Ram4life.

We shall see.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

RustyRay

Rookie
Stacy has a bunch of talent...Maybe he isnt a burner but if you see the things written about him then he has great patience and vision and then he is low to the ground and runs with good pad level.

Watch some of his clips in the SEC where his team was over matched on most Saturdays and he led the conference in rushing.

The Rams seem to really like him they gave away two 6th round picks to move up and get him...not a huge cost but still they must have really wanted him.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
GreeneCounty said:
Pead is making me lose faith.

We share this feeling. This guy just pisses me off, I'm guessing that if he has a bad season he will blame his week one suspension.

lockdnram21

Legend
El Juggernauto said:
GreeneCounty said:
Pead is making me lose faith.

We share this feeling. This guy just pisses me off, I'm guessing that if he has a bad season he will blame his week one suspension.
That incident is from last summer the league is just now handleing it. He will be ok if not we have 4 other backs. 1 of them got be decent enough to get us by till next draft. Imo i think when it all boils down its gonna be richardson and either cunningham or stacy in the back field. But we shall see.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Man pead is gonna make alot of his critics look stupid this year.

People put too much of an emphasis on a rookie season.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
kurtfaulk said:

Man pead is gonna make alot of his critics look stupid this year.

People put too much of an emphasis on a rookie season.

I hope you are right.

But, the RB position is the fastest to adjust to the NFL. And... the Rams home is the Show-Me-State. Ball is in Pead's court.