Why you don't give away 3 first round picks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
All the talk that the Skins won the RG3 trade appears to have been silenced now. Wonder why the media isn't talking about it anymore?

Nevermind what the Rams got and how good Bradford may or may not become.

The fact is that the Skins traded away all those picks when they could have stood pat, kept them all, and just picked Tannehill or even Wison later in the draft.

Now they may end up with an injury prone QB, and a talent depleted roster because of the missing picks.

I really liked what I saw from Tannehill on Sunday. If he ends up being better than RG3, I won't be surprised at all, and I'll be shocked if he doesn't last a lot longer.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
max thinking we were savvy horse traders:
I really liked what I saw from Tannehill on Sunday. If he ends up being better than RG3, I won't be surprised at all, and I'll be shocked if he doesn't last a lot longer.
Yeah, there's that for sure. Of course I can remember some other QBs who started out running a lot and then got smart. They lasted a long time.

I agree that we got the better of the deal so far.

fearsomefour

Legend
The Rat in Washington has completely mismanaged RGknee. Hopefully they continue to lose and the Rams have high draft pick to trade down next year. I would very rarely trade up....we will see if Austin was worth it going forward. If the Rams can end up around 10 with the Washington pick a good chance to land a very good T, DT or trade down and end up with 2 second rounders and maybe another 3rd or 4th rounder....or better yet, trade the Washington pick this year for someones first the following year and a second this year. This drafting thing is a lot easier when you have mulitple first round picks every year.

RamEERS

Pastor
Don't know if he'd be what we call injury prone if shanahan was smart and pulled him when he was hurting... The problem with the dead skins isn't the qb... It's the defense that keeps losing... 71 points and over 1000 yards in two games ... Geez...

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
fearsomefour in tune with me:
The Rat in Washington has completely mismanaged RGknee. Hopefully they continue to lose and the Rams have high draft pick to trade down next year. I would very rarely trade up....we will see if Austin was worth it going forward. If the Rams can end up around 10 with the Washington pick a good chance to land a very good T, DT or trade down and end up with 2 second rounders and maybe another 3rd or 4th rounder....or better yet, trade the Washington pick this year for someones first the following year and a second this year. This drafting thing is a lot easier when you have multiple first round picks every year.

Too true! I agree with all of that.

V3

Hall of Fame
People are acting like RG3 is finished. I still think he'll be fine in the long run. He just came back. He's worried about his knee and rightfully so. Once he starts trusting it again and gets his mechanics straightened out, he'll be right back at the top. I just want him to suck for just this year.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
V3 said:
People are acting like RG3 is finished. I still think he'll be fine in the long run. He just came back. He's worried about his knee and rightfully so. Once he starts trusting it again and gets his mechanics straightened out, he'll be right back at the top. I just want him to suck for just this year.
He'll probably bounce back soon, but the writing on the wall is still there. Defenses are gearing up to stop the mobile QB from doing what he's comfortable doing, and you can bet that the teams within the division will gear up even harder. Sooner or later something has to give. I don't like the odds of one guy (QB) against a defense designed to stop him. Either the QB has to learn to adapt, or face the music.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
X said:
V3 said:
He'll probably bounce back soon, but the writing on the wall is still there. Defenses are gearing up to stop the mobile QB from doing what he's comfortable doing, and you can bet that the teams within the division will gear up even harder. Sooner or later something has to give. I don't like the odds of one guy (QB) against a defense designed to stop him. Either the QB has to learn to adapt, or face the music.

I don't see how RG3 can be that guy we saw last year again for an extended time. He isn't the biggest guy and he can't take those hits as well as a guy like Kaepernick. Heck, RG3 couldn't play 16 games last year when he started out totally healthy. He has to alter his style if he want to last in this league and as Faulk said, when he does that he loses his dynamic factor and becomes just another QB.

On top of all that the Redskins D looks old and slow, and they are shorthanded in trying to add talent now. This will put even more pressure on RG3 to do even more.

V3

Hall of Fame
max said:
X said:
V3 said:

I don't see how RG3 can be that guy we saw last year again for an extended time. He isn't the biggest guy and he can't take those hits as well as a guy like Kaepernick. Heck, RG3 couldn't play 16 games last year when he started out totally healthy. He has to alter his style if he want to last in this league and as Faulk said, when he does that he loses his dynamic factor and becomes just another QB.

On top of all that the Redskins D looks old and slow, and they are shorthanded in trying to add talent now. This will put even more pressure on RG3 to do even more.

I personally think RG3 can be a traditional pocket QB. He can't right now because his mechanics are all outta whack. He's not planting on his bad knee when he throws. It's affecting his accuracy. Once he trusts it again (or it stops hurting him- not sure if he's totally healed), I think he'll get his mechanics fixed.

That's just how I feel though. I think he'd work just fine as a pocket QB. He had great accuracy last year and in college. He has a great arm too. I'm not really concerned about his future as a QB because I think he'll just adapt. Shanahan screwed him up, though, because his running did add an element that made him nigh impossible to defend.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
They didn't give away three firsts they traded them for a first what they "gave away" was 2 firsts and a second, but your point is very well taken ,I HAVE NEVER thought the Redskins got the better of that deal and like you say it looks better for us every time we see RG struggle to return from that injury.

Just wondering though, WOULD we be saying the same if Indy had picked RG and Washington had gotten Luck?

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Thordaddy said:
They didn't give away three firsts they traded them for a first what they "gave away" was 2 firsts and a second, but your point is very well taken ,I HAVE NEVER thought the Redskins got the better of that deal and like you say it looks better for us every time we see RG struggle to return from that injury.

Just wondering though, WOULD we be saying the same if Indy had picked RG and Washington had gotten Luck?

Let me explain...

Washington had first round picks in 2012, 2013, and 2014. They used them ALL to get RG3. Plus they gave up an additional 2nd round pick, but I'm trying to keep it simple. That is, RG3 wasn't even worth those 3 first rounders.

Actually, they could have just drafted Tannehill with their #6 overall pick last year and kept their first rounders in 2013 and 2014. And oh yeah, kept their 2nd rounder in 2012 too.

One day down the road we will be reading how the Skins made a big mistake.

And no way was Indy ever considering RG3 over Luck.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
max said:
Thordaddy said:

Let me explain...

Washington had first round picks in 2012, 2013, and 2014. They used them ALL to get RG3. Plus they gave up an additional 2nd round pick, but I'm trying to keep it simple. That is, RG3 wasn't even worth those 3 first rounders.

Actually, they could have just drafted Tannehill with their #6 overall pick last year and kept their first rounders in 2013 and 2014. And oh yeah, kept their 2nd rounder in 2012 too.

OH so you think you're the only hypotheticalizer here huh ?

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
max said:
Thordaddy said:

Let me explain...

Well considering they still had a 2012 1st rounder regardless, they really just gave away 2 1sts and a 2nd.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
V3 said:
I personally think RG3 can be a traditional pocket QB. He can't right now because his mechanics are all outta whack. He's not planting on his bad knee when he throws. It's affecting his accuracy. Once he trusts it again (or it stops hurting him- not sure if he's totally healed), I think he'll get his mechanics fixed.

That's just how I feel though. I think he'd work just fine as a pocket QB. He had great accuracy last year and in college. He has a great arm too. I'm not really concerned about his future as a QB because I think he'll just adapt. Shanahan screwed him up, though, because his running did add an element that made him nigh impossible to defend.

Ah... but did the Redskins send all those picks for RG3 as a pocket passer?

I don't think so.

Without being able to run he's a fraction of what they traded for.

But I agree with your first post; he's not washed up. The media likes the drama. I fully expect him to bounce back at some point. The question is; how much will running the football be a part of that bounce back?

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Angry Ram said:
max said:
Thordaddy said:

Let me explain...

Well considering they still had a 2012 1st rounder regardless, they really just gave away 2 1sts and a 2nd.

I think we are getting wrapped up in semantics.

Instead of using the term "gave up", I am using the term "used". The Skins used 3 first round picks and a 2nd round pick to procure the services of RG3.

Along those same lines, the Dolphins used 1 first round pick on Tannehill.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
CGI_Ram said:
V3 said:

Ah... but did the Redskins send all those picks for RG3 as a pocket passer?

I don't think so.

Without being able to run he's a fraction of what they traded for.

But I agree with your first post; he's not washed up. The media likes the drama. I fully expect him to bounce back at some point. The question is; how much will running the football be a part of that bounce back?

Ah but the Skins would have been perfectly happy with Luck after giving up all those picks. The point being that Luck was worth all those picks even though he wasn't a read option type QB, but RG3 was ONLY worth all those picks because he could run so well. RG3 as a pocket passer isn't worth all those picks, according to Faulk RG3 is just another QB without his running ability.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
max said:
Ah but the Skins would have been perfectly happy with Luck after giving up all those picks. The point being that Luck was worth all those picks even though he wasn't a read option type QB

Yes. Agree. Luck's skills and value were/are different than RG3's. They would have jumped all over the chance to draft Luck.

max said:
...but RG3 was ONLY worth all those picks because he could run so well. RG3 as a pocket passer isn't worth all those picks, according to Faulk RG3 is just another QB without his running ability.

Yep! They didn't draft - or trade all those picks - for RG3 to be a pocket passer. One could argue they are in "salvage mode" right now.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
max said:
All the talk that the Skins won the RG3 trade appears to have been silenced now. Wonder why the media isn't talking about it anymore?

Nevermind what the Rams got and how good Bradford may or may not become.

The fact is that the Skins traded away all those picks when they could have stood pat, kept them all, and just picked Tannehill or even Wison later in the draft.

Now they may end up with an injury prone QB, and a talent depleted roster because of the missing picks.

I agree with most of what you say here.

But IMHO there is no doubt we got the better of that trade.
Not even arguable.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
CGI_Ram said:
max said:
Ah but the Skins would have been perfectly happy with Luck after giving up all those picks. The point being that Luck was worth all those picks even though he wasn't a read option type QB

Yes. Agree. Luck's skills and value were/are different than RG3's. They would have jumped all over the chance to draft Luck.

max said:
...but RG3 was ONLY worth all those picks because he could run so well. RG3 as a pocket passer isn't worth all those picks, according to Faulk RG3 is just another QB without his running ability.

Yep! They didn't draft - or trade all those picks - for RG3 to be a pocket passer. One could argue they are in "salvage mode" right now.

That's a great point. I do think Washington may be feeling the "salvage mode" vibe. They have got to be at the very least nervous about where they will be long term with RG3.

There is no way Shanny is surprised by RG3s performance so far.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
The only problem in your argument is Tannihill wouldn't have put butts in seats if Washington had went that direction. (And Cleveland would have because we would have taken what they were offering). But Shanahan bought himself several more years w/ the trade (and then might have lost a couple w/ the way he handled his injury.....).

And thus the big offer for him. He brought excitement to the team and the city..... Tannihill would not have as there were too many questions around him and it took his old coach supporting him to get grabbed in Miami.... This far along, this year.....it looks like a good gamble.......but so did the Washington pick this time last year.... (even though we had just kicked his butt at this time last year.....). So I would say this whole equation hasn't seen the final set of variables.......