Why wasn't 49'ers 3rd TD challenged?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DeaconJones

Rookie
First post here. Rams fan for 45 years located near Toronto. I was sorry to see the Rams leaves St. Louis but going back to LA was about the best possible outcome.

Like every one else, incredibly bummed out by the horrible first game. Some things I can take in stride but some things I can't. I've been a Fisher supporter throughout but that game convinced me that perhaps his time is up. I can't see him being let go however.

I don't worry about Todd Gurley's mediocre night. His numbers would be better if the passing game was remotely working and if they could have kept the score close. In a close game he can just keep pounding the ball and eventually dominate a tired defense. In theory anyway.

The one specific TD play that I mention though is the 49'ers 3rd TD. The ball was caught right at the goal line. It seemed quite clear that the receiver's knee was down before he rotated his body to put the ball over the goal line. I was screaming for Fisher to challenge. Is there something obvious here I am missing as to why they wouldn't? At 14-0 the game was still viable. At 21-0 it was over.

The lack of vertical passing is very disturbing. Did they even take one shot down the field in any of the four exhibition games? I hope Pharoh Cooper can contribute here at some point.

On the bright side, GRob had no false starts and there were no injuries. Let's hope we can keep up our magic against Seattle.

Thank you.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
(I think all touchdowns (close) are reviewed by the officials, up in the booth). Coaches cannot challenge only if it wasn't ruled a Touchdown originally.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Welcome. I don't know why it wasn't challenged, but wouldn't have made much of a difference. Without half time adjustments, game was over.

A couple vertical preseason plays included the strike to Cooper (dropped) and the heave to Britt (PI called).

KDS73

Rookie
If it's the play I'm thinking of, he was never down by contact. He could've rolled around on the ground like he was on fire across the goal line if he wanted, because nobody touched him.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yeah, like others have already said, all scoring plays are reviewed. Nobody challenges touchdowns anymore.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
First post here. Rams fan for 45 years located near Toronto. I was sorry to see the Rams leaves St. Louis but going back to LA was about the best possible outcome.

Like every one else, incredibly bummed out by the horrible first game. Some things I can take in stride but some things I can't. I've been a Fisher supporter throughout but that game convinced me that perhaps his time is up. I can't see him being let go however.

I don't worry about Todd Gurley's mediocre night. His numbers would be better if the passing game was remotely working and if they could have kept the score close. In a close game he can just keep pounding the ball and eventually dominate a tired defense. In theory anyway.

The one specific TD play that I mention though is the 49'ers 3rd TD. The ball was caught right at the goal line. It seemed quite clear that the receiver's knee was down before he rotated his body to put the ball over the goal line. I was screaming for Fisher to challenge. Is there something obvious here I am missing as to why they wouldn't? At 14-0 the game was still viable. At 21-0 it was over.

The lack of vertical passing is very disturbing. Did they even take one shot down the field in any of the four exhibition games? I hope Pharoh Cooper can contribute here at some point.

On the bright side, GRob had no false starts and there were no injuries. Let's hope we can keep up our magic against Seattle.

Thank you.
Nice post! Welcome to ROD! IF you need any nice Photo's of Deacon to use as a Avatar let me know! I have a Ton of them!!(y);):D

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
The call by the ref was correct. It was a TD. Plenty of reasons to be angry at Fisher about, but not challenging an obvious touchdown isn't one of them.

I was playing dude. This is just going to be my default response for everything until Fisher pulls his head out. It's a bit of a coping mechanism.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It is a good point but I think the Rams knew they weren't gonna get even 7 let alone 14 anyway. Noted it was close but was so numb at that point I didn't even protest.

I actually threw my controller when Tavon fair caught that kick inside the 5 vice letting it go. Haven't done that in a long time, last incident was when they measured McSorely's stick in the cup series lol.

Ah hell. Effin Rams. Oh and welcome.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

Thank you.
Welcome. The score, as others have said, are automatically reviewed. We can't challenge it, we are not allowed to. IMO, it was the correct call anyway, because, although his knee was down, he wasn't touched, before he spun in, therefore he was allowed to continue to advance the ball.

fiveten

UDFA
I also believe that since touchdowns are automatically reviewed it is an unsportsmanlike penalty if a coach challenges a touchdown call.

DeaconJones

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Welcome. The score, as others have said, are automatically reviewed. We can't challenge it, we are not allowed to. IMO, it was the correct call anyway, because, although his knee was down, he wasn't touched, before he spun in, therefore he was allowed to continue to advance the ball.

Thanks for all of the responses. I guess for that TD play the key point as you say is the receiver was not touched so it was good (and regardless at the end of the day it wouldn't have mattered).

Thanks.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
There is a lot to dislike about Fisher but his use of challenges is one of my top 5. He is terrible at using them.

And it's not just a matter of how many he wins v loses - it's using them when you probably shouldn't and not using them when you absolutely should.