Why Was Langford Cut?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This thread is about Langford not C Long.

Not sure why they did not dump Wells, Joseph, and see if J Long can even play or not before cutting Langford.
Did the Rams even try trading him?
From what I could see does it free up $7 mil in cap space?

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
We have Ethan Westbrooks, Carrington, and Brockers/Donald.....I think Carrington's deal was for a couple years, no? If not, I'm positive the other 3 are still under contract....
Carrington was 1-year, he gone as of now. Westbrooks is not a real DT -- he is smaller like Hayes and Sims. Those 3 can provide swing depth there but Langford was the only backup behind Brockers with 300+ lb. girth to reliably stuff the run.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm not convinced this was a good move. I think it is going to be a mistake.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
The cutting of Langford does seem a lot more questionable now that I know were suddenly thin at DT. Seriously, what is taking a structure/cut of Wells and Dahl so long? The way Fisher and Snead handle this is going to be very interesting to watch. OL HAS to be addressed this year in a big way.

RamWoodie

Legend
Welcome back @RamWoodie ! I always appreciate your input.

That said, I agree he was overpaid as a rotational DT, be we don't have any depth at that position yet. We have 2 DTs under contract. I fully expect we will add a 2nd tier DT in F/A and perhaps even in the draft, but to say we have depth there is just incorrect, IMO.
Thanks BigRamFan! Also as has been pointed out, there's good depth at DT...but not so much that they may not draft another around the 3rd round OR through FA.

The main thing was freeing up cap space, and we know when Langford came through FA, he was overpaid (as most are), to outbid others for his service. It's just the nature of the beast.