Why was Darius Guice asked about sexuality?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Just wondering if anyone heard anything about this or is this random questioning?

It makes me think someone somewhere told a scout that they think he is gay, or he has never seen him with a girlfriend or something. It doesn't seem like a random question.

Will this cause other teams to dig deeper? Or is it taboo from being made public? Will it cause him to drop?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
To gauge his reaction to it. See how he handles something unexpected and to see how he recovers from the shock. This kind of thing happens to multiple players every year and the questions are always changing. People are really making a big deal about this for no reason.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
To gauge his reaction to it. See how he handles something unexpected and to see how he recovers from the shock. This kind of thing happens to multiple players every year and the questions are always changing. People are really making a big deal about this for no reason.

So it’s media hype

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Dude looks a little fruity. Don't have a problem with it, but some teams might.

And before the politically correct responses start, considering locker room fit and impact still even in this day and age can be helped by that sort of information. These locker rooms aren't full of reporters, they're aggressive type A dudes who will say the right thing to the camera but behind the scenes might be a different story.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I think it's this 100%. Teams know their locker rooms and probably want to ask guys questions that will make them uncomfortable to see how they react. Doesn't make it okay though.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
It's an inappropriate question to ask any potential employee, regardless of the field of work. Whatever his sexuality is, it clearly wasn't an issue when he was at LSU so there's no reason to turn it into one.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gotta see how he reacts. If he can't control himself in an interview, he won't control himself on the field. They did it to Dez Bryant back in the day because he was known for having a temper.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Gotta see how he reacts. If he can't control himself in an interview, he won't control himself on the field. They did it to Dez Bryant back in the day because he was known for having a temper.

Still an idiotic - and more importantly, illegal - question.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Still an idiotic - and more importantly, illegal - question.
Just curious how it's illegal? It's illegal to deny somebody a job or services because of their sexual preferences. It's not illegal to my knowledge to ask the question.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Just curious how it's illegal? It's illegal to deny somebody a job or services because of their sexual preferences. It's not illegal to my knowledge to ask the question.

Illegal because if you ask them that question and then don't choose them for a job (or in Guice's case, don't draft him), that's technically denying a job based on sexual preference. Because why ask the question otherwise?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Illegal because if you ask them that question and then don't choose them for a job (or in Guice's case, don't draft him), that's technically denying a job based on sexual preference. Because why ask the question otherwise?
You're making some serious assumptions there. First off you're asking questions to gauge somebody's response to the unexpected. Secondly nobody is denying him a job based on his answer. He's entering a draft with the chance of 32 companies to select him. They're not offering him a job he's put himself out there asking 32 companies for the chance to work for him. So if the team that asked the question doesn't pick him with their first pick or even better yet trade up to #1 pick overall to take him that's suddenly discrimination? Amazing assumptions there, you're also assuming the person that asked the question wasn't hoping for him to say yes he was. If he said yes and he got the job does that mean the other entrants also can sue for discrimination because they didn't answer yes?

Memento

Name
Jemma
You're making some serious assumptions there. First off you're asking questions to gauge somebody's response to the unexpected. Secondly nobody is denying him a job based on his answer. He's entering a draft with the chance of 32 companies to select him. They're not offering him a job he's put himself out there asking 32 companies for the chance to work for him. So if the team that asked the question doesn't pick him with their first pick or even better yet trade up to #1 pick overall to take him that's suddenly discrimination? Amazing assumptions there, you're also assuming the person that asked the question wasn't hoping for him to say yes he was. If he said yes and he got the job does that mean the other entrants also can sue for discrimination because they didn't answer yes?

I'm saying that it's still a stupid question to ask. Maybe not illegal in the NFL, but you can't tell me that there's other questions that would've had the same result (showing if he can keep his cool or not) without being stupid and less offensive.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
It's an inappropriate question to ask any potential employee, regardless of the field of work. Whatever his sexuality is, it clearly wasn't an issue when he was at LSU so there's no reason to turn it into one.

I agree that it is an inappropriate question that probably does more harm than good; but saying it wasn't a problem at LSU is an assumption. Maybe that's where this question is coming from. Maybe there is an issue already in the locker room of the team asking. Maybe it is just to get a reaction.

My point is simply, regardless of motivation, it's just not a question to be asking in this situation.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Just wondering if anyone heard anything about this or is this random questioning?

It makes me think someone somewhere told a scout that they think he is gay, or he has never seen him with a girlfriend or something. It doesn't seem like a random question.

Will this cause other teams to dig deeper? Or is it taboo from being made public? Will it cause him to drop?

My understanding is there are rumors he is gay.

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor

giphy.gif

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

It's not illegal to ask - but they are commonly referred to as "illegal interview questions", because to ask them invites suspicion.

I have to hope that they just asked to see how he reacted, but if that's the case, there are many other questions they could have asked. Stupid for them to ask that one.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

Honestly, who cares if a player is or isn't gay?

The NFL is investigating.

What's particularly troubling is that the NFL has ALREADY issued guidance that these questions are absolutely, 100 percent verboten. Period.

So, whoever did it was asking to have their team punished and in this case, if it was an assistant like when the Falcons did it two years ago, they run the risk of being fired.

If they find out who did it, and that's not certain seeing as Guice wasn't sure who asked due to the timing of the interviews, the NFL WILL punish that team pretty severely.

Especially due to the nature of the anti-trust exemptions and language in the current CBA regarding federal law, the LAST thing the NFL wants is a lawsuit from a prospective draftee alleging the league condones the rampant and open violation of federal employment law.

There are umpteen ways to shock, stress or probe potential draftees with questions without violating federal law.

It's wrong, prejudicial (remember the special teams coach from the Vikes who told Chris Kluwe that he'd like to see all homosexuals be put on an island and then have the island be nuked to glass), and gives no real information.

Oh, and there are already gay people in the NFL. Playing. Now. It's not like these questions are "keeping out the gays", cuz...no. Gay players have been in the NFL since the 60s and it's not going to change.