Why trade Stacy?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
Just curious why some Rams fans want to trade Zac Stacy? I understand that the Rams are pretty happy with both Tre Mason and Benny Cunningham but if the Rams are really wanting to run the ball more like I have been reading wouldn't it be a good idea to have a few good Running Backs to share the load not to mention to have on the roster in case Mason or Cunningham get hurt? I could understand a trade if the Rams could get something valuable in return but if all they are going to get is a 6th or 7th Round Draft pick I would rather hold on to Stacy. Of course, there could be other reasons that the Rams might be unhappy with Stacy that could want them to trade him and if that is the case the Rams just need to get what they can get for him.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I think some fans are under the mistaken notion that RBs have trade value in this league.

Granted, one can't separate him from his age or legal problems, but even AP would have a hard time drawing a 2nd round pick...

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
I look at it 2 way:
1. if you do not want to use him then there is no point in having him - get what value you can from him. JF made it clear he did not want to use him or have him late last year (if anything JF actually drove down the market for him).
2. This is pure ASSUMPTION - but Stacy wants to go. I would if I was him, last year he had a starting job and was likely to get paid when his contract came up at the end of this year (not huge but decent money), since JF won't play him or use him his value goes down and down...someone might try him as a starter this year...maybe, but by the end of this upcoming year he will be old news and relegated to 2nd/3rd string money. If I were him I would want out....badly.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Stacy was really underused. I agree, if I were him I would want to go.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Just curious why some Rams fans want to trade Zac Stacy?
Some have us trading Stacy in order to get a signal caller like Mike Glennon for example and I would be all for that. Some good running backs in this draft and the Rams have Mason, Cunningham and don't forget Trey Watts who I would like to see get more playing time.

When you trade you trade a postion of strength and the Rams have a strength at running back. Jeff Fisher seems to have a knack in finding running backs. Cunningham a couple of years ago and Watts last year. Sure wish he had that knack for finding Quarterbacks.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don't want to trade him and I think that a new OC should be given the chance to figure out how to use him.

If I was the OC he would be the short yardage back and used to close games out where the Rams are leading. He has proven to be able to pound the ball through tiny holes and Mason is not that kind of back.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just curious why some Rams fans want to trade Zac Stacy? I understand that the Rams are pretty happy with both Tre Mason and Benny Cunningham but if the Rams are really wanting to run the ball more like I have been reading wouldn't it be a good idea to have a few good Running Backs to share the load not to mention to have on the roster in case Mason or Cunningham get hurt? I could understand a trade if the Rams could get something valuable in return but if all they are going to get is a 6th or 7th Round Draft pick I would rather hold on to Stacy. Of course, there could be other reasons that the Rams might be unhappy with Stacy that could want them to trade him and if that is the case the Rams just need to get what they can get for him.

Trade him while he still has value. Seems like the Rams are moving on. Mason took over the primary running role while Cunningham is the far better pass catcher which means there are very limited snaps for Stacy.

He ran for almost 1000 yards as a rookie so there's a possibility that a team would be interested in him for a late round pick. Which would benefit us more than keeping him on the roster as a #3 HB.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Trade him while he still has value. Seems like the Rams are moving on. Mason took over the primary running role while Cunningham is the far better pass catcher which means there are very limited snaps for Stacy.

He ran for almost 1000 yards as a rookie so there's a possibility that a team would be interested in him for a late round pick. Which would benefit us more than keeping him on the roster as a #3 HB.

What would we use a late round pick on? A 3rd RB? Stacy was a great find in the fifth. Getting close to equal talent in the late rounds would be blind luck. If we're trading him, I hope it's for QB or OL depth. I think this team is talented enough that the late round picks are less important than last year.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What would we use a late round pick on? A 3rd RB? Stacy was a great find in the fifth. Getting close to equal talent in the late rounds would be blind luck. If we're trading him, I hope it's for QB or OL depth. I think this team is talented enough that the late round picks are less important than last year.

Nah. There are a couple guys I like that might be around in the 5th that would be an upgrade on Cunningham...especially as a 3rd down HB. So taking one of them and trading Stacy would give us an extra pick to use on a depth or rotational player...possibly on the DL or OL...or a developmental #3 QB.

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Some have us trading Stacy in order to get a signal caller like Mike Glennon for example and I would be all for that. Some good running backs in this draft and the Rams have Mason, Cunningham and don't forget Trey Watts who I would like to see get more playing time.

When you trade you trade a postion of strength and the Rams have a strength at running back. Jeff Fisher seems to have a knack in finding running backs. Cunningham a couple of years ago and Watts last year. Sure wish he had that knack for finding Quarterbacks.

I can understand trading Stacy for a decent (Hopefully, Good) QB (And, I would do the Stacy for Mike Glennon trade in a Heartbeat!) or another quality/proven player at another position but I would be really disappointed if they trade him for a late round draft pick! I am a true believer in the "A Bird In The Hand Is Worth Two In The Bush" theory!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Its the whole idea that the brand new toy still in the package is better than the one you have at home, even though its the same one
A lot of talented RB in this draft

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
I think some fans are under the mistaken notion that RBs have trade value in this league.

Granted, one can't separate him from his age or legal problems, but even AP would have a hard time drawing a 2nd round pick...

Trent Richardson was traded for a first round pick... and he's lazy as hell.

Irish

Starter
Things we don't need- a third, plodding runningback with no breakaway speed or second gear.

Things we do need- Draft picks.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I think trading him would be silly. You really wouldn't get much in return...and he may prove valuable depth down the road. Not to mention, you might see him get more touches next year randomly, seems we never know what to expect.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I'd hold on to Stacy, Cunningham, and Mason. All cheap - all can play. If there is an attitude conflict - OK - but I don't think we are likely to get a player that is better than Stacy on the 3rd day of the draft and I don't think we are going to get a 2nd day pick for him.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Unless we plan on drafting Todd Gurley, I wouldn't trade Stacy....Doubt he'd bring much in return,,,,

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Nah. There are a couple guys I like that might be around in the 5th that would be an upgrade on Cunningham...especially as a 3rd down HB. So taking one of them and trading Stacy would give us an extra pick to use on a depth or rotational player...possibly on the DL or OL...or a developmental #3 QB.

I can see adding Stacy onto a trade for a young QB with some experience. Glennon for example if it helps shake him loose. But I'm not so sure about a draft pick. Used properly, Stacy does have value, especially in short yardage situations. Not to mention the likely possibly that either Bennie or Mason get dinged up. We already know he's dependable, we know he doesn't fumble, we know he can get tough yards and we know he is capable of starting as a feature back in this league. That's far more valuable than an unknown 5th or 6th. Which is what we'd probably get.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I wouldn't get rid of Stacy. Back in the day, the un-defeated Miami Dolphins did pretty-well with 3 RB's ( Czonka, Kick, and Morris!) We could too!