Why the secret?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tempests

Hall of Fame
How awesome would this be???!!!

If they don't need to have the top pick I would question why they gave up so much to move in the first place.

Rams give up the top spot they're just giving another team who likes their guy(Philadelphia) an opportunity to trade up and get him.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
They have no good reason to say who it is.
The NFL wouldn't want them to say who it is.
Media people really don't want them to say who it is.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
If they don't need to have the top pick I would question why they gave up so much to move in the first place.

Rams give up the top spot they're just giving another team who likes their guy(Philadelphia) an opportunity to trade up and get him.
Obviously if they did this, the other team/s involved would have to make the Rams an offer they can't refuse. I'm pretty confident they wouldn't just "give" away the pic. I think the most intriguing thing in the remote possibility of something like this ,is the wheeling and dealing history of Snead/Fisher in the draft. They usually come out smelling like a rose.

That all said, it is very remote that this will happen

Ramfansince79

Rookie
Name
Ramsfan79

Well, if they can get the guy they want at #2 and get some of their picks back, the cost of moving up went waaaaaaaay down.

Plus, I'm sure the Browns thought they were going to have their choice at #2.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Well, if they can get the guy they want at #2 and get some of their picks back, the cost of moving up went waaaaaaaay down.

They obviously don't think so. They're at 1 so no one can trade ahead of them, including Cleveland.

IMO, trading out again to recoup picks is an admission from them that they made a mistake.

yopaulie

UDFA
So, here's a theory, The Rams trade down to #2 for Cleveland 1st & 2nd round picks, ( The Rams give up the #1 spot and a 6th & 7th rounder) and the Rams still get Goff, the man they want all-along, and are in a prime spot to get a good WR!! Any taker's!?:thinking:o_O:cool::D

I would probably flip the scenario...if the Rams have learned for certain that the Browns prefer Goff, they put up the smokescreen that they like Goff too, to try to get a trade back to #2, where they still can get Wentz.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
They obviously don't think so. They're at 1 so no one can trade ahead of them, including Cleveland.

IMO, trading out again to recoup picks is an admission from them that they made a mistake.

No, it isn't, IF they are good with either QB, and Cleveland is in love with one of them. They really are in the catbird seat if that's the case.

tempests

Hall of Fame
No, it isn't, IF they are good with either QB, and Cleveland is in love with one of them. They really are in the catbird seat if that's the case.

They aren't good with either. You think the Rams traded up to no 1 for a QB they're not in love with?

They gave up a lot for this.

Last edited:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Its simple really. Creates intrigue for not only the Rams but the NFL. The rams know who theyre taking. They don't benefit whatsoever from telling anyone their pick.

Snead has said in the past that if he wants a player and he doesn't think he can sit in the spot he is in and get him he decides where he needs to get to and makes the deal to land in that slot.

Thats what he just did.

This tells me they know exactly which guy they want and had some intel that CLE may take that guy so they had to get to the #1 to make sure they didn't miss out. Otherwise they would have been talking to SD, Dallas or JAX because none of them are picking a QB this year. At least I would say that's a very, very safe bet they aren't.

Snead wasn't going to move up blindly, he is WAY to shrewd to do that. And he wasn't going to move up and "hope" he could get his guy. He knows who he wants and he just made sure he will get him.

This is one of a few reasons why I like Snead and am glad the Rams have him. He and Fisher are going to shut up the critics once they get the QB position settled.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why the secret? Well, it benefits the NFL with more interest in the draft. It benefits them, in case they find something out at the last second or their choice is hurt in a car crash or something.

What does it hurt? People would like to know sooner - but of course letting them know now means they won't enjoy draft day as much, which likely balances out. I'm a big fan of watching the draft (I miss it being two days only all weekend long) and if it were announced in advance, there would be very little reason as a Rams fan to watch the first night - this way I find out for sure, and then much of the broadcast will be analysis of the pick and which QB the Browns take.

There really is no advantage to the Rams to reveal it now.

Add in that playing ball with the NFL on this may help them in the future. They got a huge favor from the NFL, their move being approved. Since then they have agreed to be on HBO, taken 3 HOME games out of the country, and now this. If they had fought on any of them, when it came time to award future Super Bowls the NFL might have been less willing to choose LA - probably give them one, but that's it.

This is the long game the Rams are playing.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
making the Browns sweat, they want Wentz not Goff, we could come away with Goff and the Browns 2nd pick, trade with the Browns works in our favor
train
Were both in agreement here train.

We gave up a lot to jump half way up round 1. That's a long jump, man.

If we can move down 1 spot and still get the qb Cleveland doesn't favor, we can pick up another 2nd or 3rd rnd pick this year. Adding another wr.

Snead isn't done.
Now it's just a matter of getting Cleveland on the dance floor with us.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
They have no good reason to say who it is.
The NFL wouldn't want them to say who it is.
Media people really don't want them to say who it is.
That last point is spot on, we hear all these interviews and discussion going on and even the people critical of the Rams. They want us to delay announcing who the pick is as long as possible think of all the time they can spend talking about the options, the team and the NFL until the pick is announced. They're asking Fisher and Snead and the players who the pick is but they really don't want to know.

Ram65

Legend
The Ram don't have too say who the pick is until the real clock starts ticking!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hold on, is there ANY benefit to actually coming out and saying who they're picking?

Ram Pat

Rookie
I think the networks give each analyst a player to side with also, to keep the intrigue/debate going. I have a hard time with the guys that pick both sides. More upside/ fits offense/ ready now. Seems so not genuine. Even Kurt

tempests

Hall of Fame

They traded to 1 so no one could get ahead of them. No fallback required.

They give up that control and anything could happen with that pick. That includes the QB they really like going somewhere else.

Last edited: