Why the secret?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Anyone have theories on why the Rams are so secretive? They aren't just not telling - they are leaking conflicting reports.

Are they hoping the Browns bite and move up to 1? Would the Rams even take that risk?

Are they still evaluating?

Is it just because the intrigue is good for the league? Good for the Rams to keep everyone talking about them?

Don't they see what this is doing to us?

nighttrain

Legend
making the Browns sweat, they want Wentz not Goff, we could come away with Goff and the Browns 2nd pick, trade with the Browns works in our favor
train

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I have two theories and BOTH might coincide. 1) To keep the top of the draft suspenseful for all involved .... ie; The NFL. and 2) the slight chance ... ever so slight, that they might get someone to trade up and give them a ransom ... yet still get their guy ... whoever that might be ...

Ramfansince79

Rookie
Name
Ramsfan79
Kinda dark, but if something bad happens to the guy they want, they can pick the other guy and say that was their first choice all along. Have to be safe.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Kinda dark, but if something bad happens to the guy they want, they can pick the other guy and say that was their first choice all along. Have to be safe.
Funny thing I said to my son yesterday .... " Do you notice Goff is still being announced as taking visits and private workouts, yet the news on Wentz has really come to a crawl in that regard?" ...... I wouldn't want "my guy" taking a risk of injury while working out for other teams who have NO shot at him ...... just sayin'......

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The Cowboys think we are taking Wentz - and I think if there is another team who knows - it would be them.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Funny thing I said to my son yesterday .... " Do you notice Goff is still being announced as taking visits and private workouts, yet the news on Wentz has really come to a crawl in that regard?" ...... I wouldn't want "my guy" taking a risk of injury while working out for other teams who have NO shot at him ...... just sayin'......

Very good point, Redding.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-still-get-their-man-and-get-some-picks-back/

Rams could still get their man, and get some picks back

Posted by Mike Florio on April 16, 2016

carson-wentz-jared-goff-041416-getty-ftrjpg_1rxd62ope2o761g1xo4wen231o.jpg
Getty Images

The Rams currently hold the No. 1 pick in the draft, becoming the first team to trade up to the top of the stack since the Falcons made the move 15 years ago to get Mike Vick. The Rams say they haven’t decided who they plan to select, but the signs are pointing squarely at the two top quarterbacks: Carson Wentz and Jared Goff.

There are conflicting reports regarding the team’s plans, and diverging opinions as to which guy should be the pick. So if/when the Rams settle on one of the two, the Rams could engineer a way to get the guy they want without using the first overall pick and, in turn, getting back some picks in the process.

If, for example, the Rams decide they want Wentz but another team in striking distance to the top of the draft decides it wants Goff, that team, the Rams, and the Browns (who hold the No. 2 pick) could do a three-way deal that puts the Rams at No. 2, the Browns later in round one, and the third team at No. 1.

A potentially more viable deal could happen if the Rams decide they want Goff, since this would open the door for the Eagles (who reportedly covet Wentz and who reportedly were talking to the Titans about a move to No. 1) to engineer a deal that would allow them to take Wentz at No. 1, the Rams to take Goff at No. 2, and the Browns to stockpile more of the much-needed scratch-off lottery tickets that may or may not become quality NFL players.

Although it currently seems that the Rams are hiding their intentions due more to showmanship than strategy, the possibility (slim as it may be) of getting their man and getting some picks back becomes the best reason for keeping a close lid on what they plan to do.

To close a three-way trade that would let the Rams move down to No. 2 and secure their preferred option at quarterback, the Rams will have to continue to create the perception that they could take either guy — and that they’d genuinely be happy with either guy. If they ever let it be clearly known that they want Wentz or Goff, a team who wants the other guy would simply do a deal directly with Cleveland at No. 2.

So the sales pitch would go something like this: “We love either guy. If you definitely want one of the two, there’s only one way to make it happen. Trade up to No. 1.” If there’s a team sufficiently desperate to get a franchise quarterback and sufficiently convinced that one guy is better than the other, the Rams just might pull it off.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
I'm sure all the people who need to know , already know

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Why eliminate your options?
It makes sense to create mystery just in case they can work something out.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
So, here's a theory, The Rams trade down to #2 for Cleveland 1st & 2nd round picks, ( The Rams give up the #1 spot and a 6th & 7th rounder) and the Rams still get Goff, the man they want all-along, and are in a prime spot to get a good WR!! Any taker's!?:thinking:o_O:cool::D

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Anyone have theories on why the Rams are so secretive? They aren't just not telling - they are leaking conflicting reports.

Are they hoping the Browns bite and move up to 1? Would the Rams even take that risk?

Are they still evaluating?

Is it just because the intrigue is good for the league? Good for the Rams to keep everyone talking about them?

Don't they see what this is doing to us?

It is better for the league to wait until draft day. Suspense sells and will get more viewers. Also just say something happens to pop up on one of the 2 top QBs. Like Wentz raped his sister. Or Goff is a racist? Or one of them gets a season ending injury working out before the draft?

There is no reason to name the pick until they absolutely have to.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
It now seems that the Rams are/were serious about fixing the QB position. and to do that, they would need to get to one of the consensus top 2 QB's in this draft (popular opinion) Sp at worst they needed to get up into the top 3. Going up that far, you might as well go all the way to #1 and ensure you are getting the guy you want..... and if it is true that they love both... they are giving themselves time and assurance that they will get the one they deem the one. they control the situation now, rather than it being dictated by waiting.

What's not to like? We still have suspense of not knowing. We are getting MAJOR pub from all of this, AND .. we will get the guy THEY want. I truly don't see a downside to this, other than the frustration and sleepless nights of waiting :) :D

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
What's not to like? We still have suspense of not knowing. We are getting MAJOR pub from all of this, AND .. we will get the guy THEY want. I truly don't see a downside to this, other than the frustration and sleepless nights of waiting :) :D

Totally agree.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Its simple really. Creates intrigue for not only the Rams but the NFL. The rams know who theyre taking. They don't benefit whatsoever from telling anyone their pick.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
All this posturing as the Rams will take Carson Wentz and he'll be the best thing to hit Southern, California since Walt Disney!